ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High miles ph1

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, Im looking at a ph1 172 with 98k on. realistically how reliable will it be? has fsh and belts done twice. Ive had cars with well over 100k before and they have been fine but that was a vw. What likely problems will there be with a 172 engine?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The engines are fine if looked after, its all the bits that are attatched to it! ;)

53 Clio's & counting
Yup, as long as its been looked after it will be fine. its just taking a chance on its been looked after lol

172 phase 1
i wouldn't call 98k high mileage lol

especially when you think thats well below average mileage,

as stated, well maintained is more important than mileage,

got 111k on mine and it doesn't seem like the car has done that at all!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mines on 86k and it drives as sweet as a nut. Like allready said if its been looked after it should be okay. ive driven cars with alot less miles on that don't drive nearlly as well.

Dan

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Mine's done 162k - a Ph1. Clutch was changed only after 140k and still had life left in it. Some gearbox noise but very slight. Will be changing the engine as it makes 5% less than new (assuming it ever had 168 hp!). Good cars. Don't understand the comment BTW about VWs? It has certainly been well used -top speed is just over 135 mph. Condition depends on who's owned it and their know how.

ITB'd MK1
the engines thrive on miles. I'd go as far to say that the low mileage cars that don't get used have more things seize up. Proper regular oil changes and correct maintenance and it'll be faster than one thats been locked away and wasted

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
My Sunflower has 122K on it. I bought it at 85K (one owner, not abused ) and it still pulls the same now. As said before its the other bits. Even then worst i had was a clutch release bearing go at 110K. The clutch itself i changed but it still had plenty left on the old one.

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
112k and still going stron. Last 2 MOT's with no proper advisories! (I don't count the front tyres advisoary and the "crash damage" he put on the last one! I'm sorry the gap between the headlights and bumper has always been wonkey, its made from recycled yoghurt pots!) Ok so i've put ktec collies on it and uprated engine mounts but thats it really. Oh and track rods. Thats probably just jinxed it mind!!!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
my ph1 is on 107k, new cup shocks and eibach springs, engine is sweet as a nut, drives perfect. touches wood.

Passat
I had a 60K service at Birchdown and they give the car a once over and tell you any other bits that might need sorting in the near future. No problems really, just my reg light. Then I took it to Renault for the bonnet catch and they mentioned that my engine mounts are mis-shapen. Now it looks ok to me but I'm certainly no expert. Is this a serious problem?

Sorry to go off topic but I saw that with age a lot of people seem to change the mounts

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
I've been avoiding cup shocks because I thought the bolt spacing was different, Doh, off to eBay I go

I've got a ph1 with standard dampers and eibach sportlines, good but apparently the ph1 dampers are longer or something:/

225 Cup & Williams
I've been avoiding cup shocks because I thought the bolt spacing was different, Doh, off to eBay I go

I've got a ph1 with standard dampers and eibach sportlines, good but apparently the ph1 dampers are longer or something:/

I paid £185 for the 4 new cup shocks from westrenault on here.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
WHAT, that sounds like a bargain, although I don't know how much they should be lol, is there any big benefits from cup dampers compared to standard dampers?

And how much was postage ?

Also sorry for thread hijack

330i. E30 Touring.
I had a 60K service at Birchdown and they give the car a once over and tell you any other bits that might need sorting in the near future. No problems really, just my reg light. Then I took it to Renault for the bonnet catch and they mentioned that my engine mounts are mis-shapen. Now it looks ok to me but I'm certainly no expert. Is this a serious problem?

Sorry to go off topic but I saw that with age a lot of people seem to change the mounts

'mishapen'?

Ignore that. It's only a problem if you're hearing knocking noises or there's excess movement.

225 Cup & Williams
WHAT, that sounds like a bargain, although I don't know how much they should be lol, is there any big benefits from cup dampers compared to standard dampers?

And how much was postage ?

Also sorry for thread hijack

Lol I thought that too mate pretty cheap. It was £185 Inc postage so a very good price. They are stiffer than the standard ph1 shocks alot less body roll it really does make the handling that bit better plus the standard dampers on the front were going a bit soft and the rears were leaking so it was a perfect excuse to buy the cup ones.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Nope same size I fitted new 172 cup shocks all round with eibach sportlines last weekend and the handling is excellent.

I also fitted 172 Cup shocks front and rear (originally with Prolines then Cup springs). Terrible and never got the alignment right. Mr Fred pulled a face when he looked. Now back to originals and much better (never again).

53 Clio's & counting
Lol I thought that too mate pretty cheap. It was £185 Inc postage so a very good price. They are stiffer than the standard ph1 shocks alot less body roll it really does make the handling that bit better plus the standard dampers on the front were going a bit soft and the rears were leaking so it was a perfect excuse to buy the cup ones.

It would feel better even if the shockers were not very good if your shockers were old/leaking dude.

I ran with Eibach Pro's and new ph1 172 shockers and that was brilliant