ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High octane petrol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  MK4 AstraMSD 2.0T 16v GSi
Well ive come to the conclusion its a waste of money! for the last few months ive been drinking v power 99octane for about 4 months (4-5k miles worth) and i for the last 2 weeks ive had 3 tanks of BP Unleaded normal 95 ron and i get 3more mpg! then v power lol despite the fact ive been hammering it alot since ive had the normal juice. and the car feels exactly the same tbh
imo i think that high octane crap is just a marketing gimmick, i mean i was on a track day bac in april around donington park in a gallardo and i asked what fuel it had in and they just said bog standard unleaded, i mean if its good enough for a lambo its good enough for a astra! lol
and OMG was at bp garage just now and ultimate 97ron unleaded (not the 102 before some smart arse suggests) it was 120.9 a litre, and normal is only 105.9, i mean 120.9 how can they charger that v power down the road is only 111.9 and thats 99 octane!

200sx s14a
just use tesco jungle juice cheap as chips and does the job my car is mapped for 98 ron and above and runs great on it

Better than yours. C*nt.
OK. Fine.

However I'm not going to take your word against the proof in my engine, particularly as you can't even find your way to the right section.

Fabia vrs tdi
Crazy, i just stuck tesco 97ron in at 108.9 to try it out its only an extra 4p per litre so going to see if a few tanks of that help the running of the car and the mpg

Trafic 140dci
i saw on fith gear the other day, they tested them and engines like ours that are meant to run on 98octane fuel, gain more bhp on a rolling road as to them running on cheap fuel, as for mpg who knows whats better

Da

Less
To quote Renault directly;

RUK said:
The recommended petrol for all Renaultsport cars (all Clio, Mégane and Spider) is 98 RON. Lower octane fuel (either 95 or 97 RON) may be used although the performance will be slightly affected.

No issues, just slightly less performance.

Fabia vrs tdi
97 and 98ron only one ronald of a difference but will be using 99ron as soon as i get back home and stickin to it for a few months.
Im hoping with my slower driving due to weather will increase my mpg just got to decided what company to use.

MK4 AstraMSD 2.0T 16v GSi
OK. Fine.

However I'm not going to take your word against the proof in my engine, particularly as you can't even find your way to the right section.
what you actually waste money on putting super unleaded in a old mans "laguna"? lol.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Personally I prefer the 97 total stuff, car runs so much better on it compared to the tesco peasant fuel i was running up until a few weeks ago, especially in the cold weather with the RSTuner.

Have tried shell and bp versions when i first got it but didn't really notice any difference.

Fabia vrs tdi
How much you payin per litre for total stuff? I dont know of any total garages in glasgow, do you think tesco 97 could be just as good?

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
The higher octane stuff only has any benefit on higher compression/turbo engines. When I first got my vee I ran it on 95 and it ran fine but was noticably different compared to running it on Tesco 98. I have on a few occasions run it on BP 102 and the difference is very noticable. The engine seems much more responsive and it definatly gives a marginal percentage increase in power. At £2.44 a liter its not cheap though!
As for the fuel being a "gimic" its definatly not. Its what it says on the tin, higher octane fuel. Bare in mind that just because the fuel has a higher octane, doesn't mean its more volotile and will definatly give more power. Thats all down to the calorific value of the stuff. Myself and friends have built a fair few motors now that have to run on at least 98 to safely run with out det. I'm sure i'm not the only one either so its a god send pump stations sell it to be honest. Especialy now that 4 star has well and trully disapeared too

Status
Not open for further replies.