ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High speed CCTV video capture card

2014 Focus Titanium
Hello,

I need to get hold of a high speed CCTV capture card for my PC. The one I have is a 4 channel USB one but only does 25fps, I need nearer 400-500 if poss, but I will try anything as long as its faster than 25fps! Can anyone help?

Cheers

Alan

deaddog

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I don't think you'll find one,

I believe CCTV cards that are described as say 200fps are because they can do 8 channels at 25fps each, but still 25fps max per channel.

The cheapest way of getting high speed video I know of is using the casio EX-f1 camera, up to 1200fps but that's over £500. I believe casio are releasing a cut down version soon that will be a little cheaper.

2014 Focus Titanium
Yes I have seen that camera, it looks an absolute beast I must admit.

What about a camcorder? Can u get 500fps camcorders? That would do the trick! Budget is around £200-250 max

deaddog

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
there really isn't much else. Camcorders work at 25fps to be compatible with our TV format (PAL), or 30fps for the US format (NTSC) . The Casio EX-F1 represents a very big step forward in affordability of high speed video. Before it came out you'd be looking at thousands if not tens of thousands for a 500fps capable camera. There are still lots of companies hiring out these cameras for hundreds of pounds per day.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Dare I ask what you need 500fps for ??

I remember watching the making of the Matrix and they used a series of cameras that added up to something like 2000fps to be able to slow down the movements and still have it look smooth. Have you got a Wachowski budget?

2014 Focus Titanium
Well its for golf swing video analysis. The Casio would be perfect but its double my budget :(

A golf club moves at 100-120mph and i know from golf photography that you need at least 500fps to see the club clearly, especially at lower resolutions! 1000fps+ is ideal.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Well its for golf swing video analysis. The Casio would be perfect but its double my budget :(

A golf club moves at 100-120mph and i know from golf photography that you need at least 500fps to see the club clearly, especially at lower resolutions! 1000fps+ is ideal.

lol That's as good a reason as any I suppose.

Good luck! Post up the results too.