ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

History of the Valver

Hi

Can someone please tell me...

What engine sizes they came in?

What the trim is like (is it leather in them all??)

What colours were available?

Which years they were made from and to?

Anything else really, as i dont know much about it.

Thanks in advance

Hannah

the 16v is 1764cc, trim is usually cloth but leather was an option as was ABS. made from 91-96 not too sure on some of the other stuff so im not gonna guess at it and get it wrong

1.8 16v 137bhp

leather was an option

made from j through n reg though i think some were registered late and you see the very rare p and r reg ones

and they also made a 19 valver

Megane R26

Hi,

Valvers came in Phase I and Phase II original Clio shape.

Engine 1764 (16V of course... ;))

137Bhp @ 6500

158Nm @ 4250

Top speed 130 and 0-62 8.0 (many mags quote 7.7 to 60)

Leather was an option, together with metallic or pearlescent paint, so was ABS.

The colours were:

Glacier White (my old cars colour)

Capsicum Red, Monaco Blue, Xerus Grey, Iceberg Silver, Pearl Black or Naples Red.

Dont know exact year started but I think they finished about N-ish Reg (1995/96)?

Ant.

Some valvers came in another red (Etruscan Red?), which is more bright/vivid than the darker Naples

Pre N plate blue ones are Sports Blue

The rest are Monaco Blue

The Clio replaced the supermini sized Renault 5 range in Europe during late 1990 and was introduced to the UK mid-1991. Of course, were interested in the hot model...Renaults 5 GT Turbo had enjoyed a reputation for giant-slaying and so its successor - the Clio 16V - had a lot to live up to. Some saw the Clio 16V as a maiden mistress to the GT Turbos place in the "oldest profession"; it was a very different car, using what was then a very advanced engine design rather than a turbo. The Clio 16V was substantially developed over the base car. Just as with the latter-day Clio 172/Cup, responsibility for creating the original Clio hot hatch was handed over to Renault Sport. They began in earnest by shoehorning the 1764cc twin-cam 16 valve unit (F7P) from the Renault 19 16V into the Clios rather modestly sized engine bay. It was a bit of a squeeze, so the throttle body housing was shortened and the Clio 16Vs distinctive bonnet bulge was added to allow clearence for the inlet manifold. With all that heat under the bonnet an air vent was added at the top of the bonnet (just above the exhaust manifold) and the standard Clio cooling system was uprated. The suspension set up was the familiar French strut at front and torsion bar at rear arrangement. The Clio 16V got the hot treatmeant with a new four-bar torsion set up at the back, a healthy 35mm drop and significantly wider tracks (hence the wider arches, front and rear). Other modifications included sports seats, oil temperature/pressure/level gauges, larger disc brakes all round and appropriately uprated transmission and auxillary systems. What the buying public got was a hot hatch capable of 0-60 in 7.3 secs, 30-70 in 7.1 secs, a 50-70 in 5th of 8.9 secs and a top speed of 130mph (Autocar, November 11th 1991).

The 16V was the car from which the Clio Williams was developed. A common myth is that the Williams was developed by Williams F1 Engineering - it was not. The name was actually used to celebrate the Williams-Renault F1 victories of the time. The car was actually developed as the most successful and advanced FWD rally car of its day - something that the 16V had already got a hand in. Renault had been successfully using the 1764cc F7P engine from the Clio 16V in the FIA World Rally Championship Group A Clio rally car. In the hands of their top man Jean Ragnotti, the 16V-powered Clio works car was estimated to be about 1.5 seconds per mile faster than the legendary Group B 5 Maxi Turbo - even despite a massive power disadvantage, such was the pace of progress. Not resting on their laurels, Renault spotted that rally regulations would allow another few ccs of engine capacity on top of the 16Vs capacity - and the homologated Clio 16V was only 1764cc (200cc from the class 2000cc limit). In 1993, Renault decided to homologate a 2.0-powered (F7R) Clio so they could utilise the crucial extra ccs in their rally expolits. The resulting homologation car was the Williams - an initial batch of 400 individually numbered RHD cars made in all. Modifications over the 16V base car were mainly to the suspension, engine, transmission and minor cosmetics . The first batch eventually extended to some 2500 cars in all (mostly LHD) to comply with homologation regulations, of which some 500 were called "Swiss Champion" for the Swiss market. Of course, there were also later Williams 2 and 3 models (which were not homologated AFAIK), about which you can find further details elsewhere.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Quote: Originally posted by anthonyj207 on 04 January
And they quote correct! I reckon the majority of good valvers out there can his that with ease........

Quote: Originally posted by Daz0rz on 04 January 2004

Quote: Originally posted by anthonyj207 on 04 January
And they quote correct! I reckon the majority of good valvers out there can his that with ease........
Well the only accurate time of a 0-60 Ive done in my car was 7.9 and I wheelspinning like hell in the wet and had to change into 2nd at only 4.5K RPM.

Think mine and other are capable of low 7s.

Autocar got 7.3 to 60 out of theirs in 1991. Its only one measure though.

As an ex-16V owner I so miss that 4,500rpm kick - but there arent any measures that I can quote to show how cleanly a Willy will pull at only 2-2,500rpm.

Willy2

Quote: Originally posted by riplash on 04 January 2004

Phase 1 (91 - early 94) had smaller (more attractive!) wing mirrors

Cloth trim (whereas Phase 2 had velour)

Different (lighter) wheels

Different rear lights

and a different tailgate from later models (see below)

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1073248620__1793-3.jpg

Phase 1 ("the other Red")

http://www.cliosport.net/gallery/clio16v/pete3.jpg

Phase 2 (Naples Red)
neil- the phase1 also had different heater controls, different bump strips, 16v on the front wing rather than in the bump strips chunky rear wiper and different centre section on the steering wheel, some of the early ones had manual sunroofs too. BTW have you still got the phase1 rims and the phase 1 mirrors?

Im over whelmed with all that info!! Thanks very much guys!

I really think they are cracking cars, too look at anyway as ive never driven one but im considering getting one for a second car as ive heard so much good about them from cliosport.

Thanks again people!

Hannah

P.S. Ben H - You know TOO much ;)

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

Quote: Originally posted by 172gal on 04 January 2004

Hi

Can someone please tell me...

What engine sizes they came in? 1764cc only

What the trim is like (is it leather in them all??) various interiors, 3 styles pf phase 1 (yellow, blue black)(green/grey)(blue/grey), 1 style of phase 2

What colours were available? solid red, naples red, metallic green, metallic blue (sports) metallic blue (monaco), silver, black, white, tungsten grey

Which years they were made from and to? 1991-1996

Anything else really, as i dont know much about it.

Thanks in advance

Hannah

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

i used to prefer ph2 mirrors, but i reckon ph1s look better. They suit the meaner look of the valver!

Phase 2 mirrors may look less agressive, but having gone from a P2 Valver to a P1 Williams, I can confirm that theres a reason for changing these things as you cant see jack out of the P1 mirrors. Useless!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Quote: Originally posted by Andy_16v on 05 January 2004

same with the phase 1 wheels they look better than phase 2 ;)
Oooo I could argue about that one.....

BMW 320d Sport

LOL Ben who needs mirrors anyway. I always rated my phase 1s better than 2s anyway, but they werent quite small and useless enough for meso Ive ditched them and got a pair of Mattig cup mirrors going on there now...similar in size to one of those hand-held mirrors that dentists use to see the back of your mouth!