ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hit a brick at 70MPH...

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Was down south for the weekend and was coming back today. Someone had kindly left what looked like a brick on the dual carriageway. Didn't see it and went straight over it with a bang...

Looks like I hit it with the front drivers side wheel. Wheel looks fine but there is a slight bulge where the tyre must have hit it - there was also a red brick like mark which has now gone - Had it in to a tyre place and they said it was fine - have driven home (170 Miles) and it seemed fine. Tyre just looks odd where it bulges slightly...

If I could find the little b@stud who left it there, I'd find a new home for it!!! :mad:

Do you think it will be OK? Hope its doesn't mean a new tyre... only had the wheels 3 weeks!!!

Mondeo STTDCI
I cannot believe any reputable tyre place would say a tyre with a bulge was fine.

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Just Tyres... Its not a big bulge, just looks like its come off the rim ever so slightly... Sorry, haven'g got any pics to try and explain any better!

Ford Puma
no way is a tyre with a bulge fine, that could cause a blow out easily!

Similar thing happened to me except whatever it was burst a tyre and made me spin out at 60mph.

Following a truck and something fell off/out the back shattered on the road hit windscreen and drove over it and then bang.

Only damage was a chipped windscreen smashed headlight and a soiled pair of boxers!

God know's how i managed to some how keep it out the central reservation or ditch the other side!

Lots of skid makes criss crossing on the road.

Happened in my Fiesta Finesse. Lame!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
172 Dave said:
Bulge means sidewall weakened m8 i would NOT have driven home on that under any circs, change it m8 asap

^^^^^^^^
As above , your tyres f*cked mate :(
I'd get back onto the place where you got your tyres ( wheels ) also forget to mention the brick incident and tell em that the bulge has just appeared .
You never know , they might replace it , stand firm tho' and insist they do somethin about it . At the end of the day if they do replace it they will get a replacement from the manufacturer and won't be out of pocket themselves i should think .
Nothing to lose in tryin , only £££'s if you have to replace it yourself .

MrBillyUK !

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
MRBILLYUK said:
^^^^^^^^
As above , your tyres f*cked mate :(
I'd get back onto the place where you got your tyres ( wheels ) also forget to mention the brick incident and tell em that the bulge has just appeared .
You never know , they might replace it , stand firm tho' and insist they do somethin about it . At the end of the day if they do replace it they will get a replacement from the manufacturer and won't be out of pocket themselves i should think .
Nothing to lose in tryin , only £££'s if you have to replace it yourself .

MrBillyUK !

Only a good idea if you can do stonefaced lying;)

Change the tyre now don't drive on it. The only time you'll know we were right is when you have a blow out at high speed and hindsight is a great thing then.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Martin. said:
Only a good idea if you can do stonefaced lying;)

A little white lie never hurt anyone ;)

I'd be pretty p*ssed off if i had to replace my tyre after only 3 weeks . Thats what i would do anyway .

MrBillyUK !

Range Rover, GTC, LP640
blacksheep said:
Take photos and complain to the highways agency.

This happened with my mr2 turbo last year, it a brick totally missed seeing it !

It put a slit in the 265/35 r18 back tire which was brand new the week before !

Not happy, didnt get any where with the highway agency !

ex Clio 172 owner :(
(lol post deleted - posted on here rather than another forum I was reading!)

(feel free to delete this)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
blacksheep said:
Take photos and complain to the highways agency.

^^^^^^^^^^

And tell em what ? " I've hit one of your bricks " ,lol !

Highways agency is responsible for road maintenance , the building of new roads , keeping conjestion to a minimum ( lol at the last one ) etc .....

They are not responsible for every brick , piece of glass , lump of metal , screws , nails and other debris that litter our wonderful network of roads .
It would be a full time job , and a very expensive one at that replacing peoples tyres don't ya think ?

MrBillyUK !

You'll get nowhere with the highways agency. I hit a piece of metal that'd fallen off the back of a lorry on the motorway near the house. Was told by highway workers to make a claim, despite me being very dubious about it being AMEY's fault. No success as I expected. It destroyed the plastic sump guard and the driver's side wheelarch liner (which extends forward to enclose the fog lamp - quoted £150 repairs.

End of the day it's only the highway agency's fault (or whoever looks after that bit of road) IF you can prove that they knew about the object lying on the road but hadn't acted by removing the object. And there's two chances of that - slim and non-existant...

BTW, get that tyre changed now - a bulge could go at any time, or could be perfectly safe, but there's no way of knowing until it's too late...

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
The place that fitted the wheels are going to take the trye off the wheel tomorrow to check inside e.t.c. They said if its ok, can fit to the back wheel and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse?

A slow one :-(
Is it really worth risking crashing you car for the sake of 70 quid or however much it would cost to replace the tyre?

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Had tyre replaced today, it was fuked!!

What a waste of a tyre!! Tread was almost brand new - ah well, could have been worse!!

nezza said:
Had tyre replaced today, it was fuked!!

What a waste of a tyre!! Tread was almost brand new - ah well, could have been worse!!

Could have been major suspension damage that would have never been the same again or smashed gearbox casing or sump. Car could have been on its roof etc. etc.

How about the fact it was a new tyre was why you did'nt have a blow out when it happened? An older tyre could've exploded.

Just trying to make you feel better.

my friend hit one last year, however, it went under the car, and because his car was so low, it hit the sump, cracked it, and the engine ceased. so a tyre isnt THAT bad ;) sorry to hear it though..