ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hmmm, Just a thought about IK & Exhaust

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I was just thinking about something.

Add an induction kit / easier breathing filter and a free flow exhaust to a 172 without a chip and the car runs lean. I might be wrong but this is because the std. ECU doesnt have the range to cater for the increased air throughput, so the fuel isnt increased by as much as it should,

Now as far as I can see this is applicable at sea level or close to sea level.

Im sitting at about 1500m above sea level so if anything the car will be running rich because the air is less dense so high up. So if i add a free flow and an easier breathing the ECU should be able to handle to increased flow and I should (hopefully) get a little more performance without the need for an aftermarket ECU.

Is my thinking correct or am I way off and Ill need a new ECU anyway?

if the air is less dense that high up anyway presumably the factory fitted air box etc wouldnt be sucking up enough air to reach the standard imput level, so by putting an IK etc on it the engines running efficency should be about at normal levels due to the increase in air being put into the engine if you see what i mean? (increase from the below par levels anyway means the increase now brings it up to optimum levels)

I could be thinking too deep here, youd probably notice slightly better gains with a new chip anyway. It brings everything up to stage one with a new chip.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 05 May 2003

Thought you had sold your 172, Viceroy?
Luckily I got a new contract right before I ran out of money, so for now the 172 is safe. Looking for something a little more permanent because this job is going to kill me with boredom

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by pete bann on 05 May 2003

if the air is less dense that high up anyway presumably the factory fitted air box etc wouldnt be sucking up enough air to reach the standard imput level, so by putting an IK etc on it the engines running efficency should be about at normal levels due to the increase in air being put into the engine if you see what i mean? (increase from the below par levels anyway means the increase now brings it up to optimum levels)

I could be thinking too deep here, youd probably notice slightly better gains with a new chip anyway. It brings everything up to stage one with a new chip.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

debatable.......

only way to check....get it on a gas analyzer to see if it is running rich, then you might be able to have a go.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Im sure mine wont be running rich as such because the ECU "should" adjust for the lack of o2 running thru the system, but I just thought that if I could get more air in, and out and do it quicker with a free-er breathing system then the ECU should be able to compensate because it would either be up to or still a bit less than normal at sea level.

Does this all depend on how much extra flow your induction kit and exhaust give, i really dont belive the standard Renault kit is that sh*t to be honest, maybe im wrong?

The only noticable improvements i have ever done to my motors involve chips.