ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hole in 172 gearbox - Options

172 / 996 / Z3
Afternoon all.
So a while back I sheared the tripod off the NS driveshaft.
After much magnet fishing I got all the bits out, but one of the lobes from the tripod has pushed a hole in the gearbox casing. It was very stuck.
So any thoughts on how to plug the hole? Special magic glue / sealant? Get it welded insitu? Or get the box removed?
Any guidance would be most appreciated.
68832B96-3980-4F18-9DDF-571AE2668861.jpeg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Are you confident you’ve got all the bits out? Those needle rollers kill gear teeth and bearings mate when they come into contact.

The casings don’t weld all that well tbf, and especially that close to where the casings halves are sealed.

I think your only realistic options are to pull the box and have the top casing half replaced, or clean it off and risk it with some quick steel. It very much is a risk though as if it lets go you won’t know until it’s pissed 90% of its oil out.

172 / 996 / Z3
Pretty sure I’ve got all the bits. Only one roller bearing let go.
If I try the quiksteel route, I assume I need the aluminium version of the paste?
Many thanks for your advice on this as well as my previous instalment!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Pretty sure I’ve got all the bits. Only one roller bearing let go.
If I try the quiksteel route, I assume I need the aluminium version of the paste?
Many thanks for your advice on this as well as my previous instalment!
I’ve used the normal quick steel quite successfully on a truck hydraulic tank mate, and it didn’t leak. But there’s always a risk that it will fail.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
jb weld just make sure that its spotless. give a wee scuff with emmery paper or sand paper and brake clean to the death