ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

home built oil catch tank....

if you want better emissions from your beast, maybe a bit more power, then you need an oil catch tank. on normal engines, the crnak case emissions are fed directly back into the engine to be burnt off. but this contaisn oil fumes, which clog up the inlet tracts and coats the pistons in oily crudd. the oily fumes in the air fuel mixture lowers the octane rating of the fuel, therefore lowering the perfromance of the engine and causign pinking.

to get aroudn this, take one 500ml coke bottle, turn it upside down. cut a small hole in the bottle at the top and thread a largish pipe into the bottle runnign from the cam cover on the engine. on the 16v engine, theres 2 pipes, run both of these to the bottle. also cut another few small holes in the top of the bottle, so the gases can escape. what the bottle does, is it collects any oil residue in the bottle, wich can be emptied out if it ever gets full. u can buy ally ones, but there about 70quid, and a bottle does the same job. if its done so it looks offical, then you can get through the mot without any hassles. or dont worry about the bottle, and vent the pipes down the back of the engine and onto the road!!!!lol

jimbo

p.s. i will show pics within the next few days of how its done

the pistons are lubricated with copious amounts of oil anyway.....a microscopic amount in teh mixture wont doa nything, its burnt off and not left on the piston and you wont get any power gains.

the breather system on modern cars is an intergral part of the engine and crank case pressure will become awry without it.

the 172 wont pink on that change in octane (minimal, as they have knock sensors)

and who want better emisions? haha

sorry, not jumping downt yoru throat but its just not needed on modern motors.

hmmmm, ive removed 3 16v cylinder heads now, with varying degrees of mileage. and each head has been clogged up with heavy oily deposits in the inlet manifold and ports-and i mean heavy deposits, looks like tar!!!!! and this is post air filter, so oily deposits r beign left in the system.

wat sort of problems wud the lack of recircualted pressure casue to the engines running?

jimbo

give me one day, and I will post scans of two Renault Sport solutions of the topic. One for 180hp spec. Gp.A rallycar, and other for Maxi (rally).

yup, as with all cars, that tarry deposit is a mixture of the oil vapours and extra super fine dust.....it wont harm anything. but removing the crank vetilation system will man the source of vacuum to lower crank case presure will be gone.

and if it was designed for it, then i wouldnt take it off......besides, they can achieve euro 3 emissions regualtions with it and 172bhp, then i see no probs.

oh, probs, along the line of crank case pressure build up, and oil circulation probs, in sever cases. blow by etc.

well, this afternoon, i got sum hose and an empty coke bottle and tried it out. i pluugged the holes going to the manifold and ran the hose from cam cover to the bottle. ive done about 150-29miles so far, so ic ant really tell, but so far no problems at all. need to give it a decent run for a while, see wat happens, then i mite go for something more permanent, like a proepr stainless catch tank.

jimbo

nah, you wont notice any diff...........

only rael use is in racing consitions where large amount of oil can exit via the com cover and you dont want that in your engine, but under normal rd conditions and rd tyres, cornering forces are not usually high enough.

got any more information on the group a cars maciek? like diagrams of other perfromance enhancing stuff? cheers

jimbo

as you can see from teh pic, teh maxi is not dry sunped (it seems) and thus, when racing, the oil in the sump undergoes major lateral forces and surge and blowby become a problem, if you keep teh original setup, you will get ltrs of oil through your tb into your engine...

i think i type too fast for me brain, or 2 fingers have their wires crossed.......

its nto me trying to type in an accent hahaha

its basically a catalogue of Renault Sport parts with diagrams. And I have other one which is kind of instruction manual - how to fit and so on of teh :) parts from teh catalogue....

like diagrams of other perfromance enhancing stuff - and there is really not much of it apart from - cam no.1231412 and piston no.123123 and ring no 123123 and rod no 123123 and computer no 123123 with wiring no12312 and so on (all numbered things you can see on the diagrams are Renault Sport parts...) ,
and then in instruction book it says "this" and "that" with 0,05-0,09mm tolerance using BLAHBLAH fixing material... its funny... :) even though there are some things that may be useful, like where to strenghten the (sorry teh) body shell or how to make hydro handbrake, susp settings... piston, valves, and camshaft, springs, tappets specs :)

ah its in FRENCH :(