ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Please can someone help ?

I Have a 2004 182 with fuel starvation problems when on track ,When on long right hand corners when the car comes out of the corner car just dies from fuel starvation,
This is only an issue when about half full and gets worse as the fuel goes down.
This is my problem ! When trying to find the cause and having a look at the fuel pump it has the electric plug and two outlets for pipes one of these popes has a bolt in it blanking it off that must be a return.
under the car there is only one pipe only empty clips

Q Is this some sort of mod ?
Q What would be the advantage of removing the return pipe back to tank ?
Q I understand that the 182 has a regulator in the tank and has 2 pipes is the correct ?
Q Where dose the missing pipe go to on the engine ( a photo would be nice )
Q Anyone on here with a 182 that lives in oxford fancy a coffee and a chat so I can poke around your engine bay and find out what's missing from mine
Thanks for reading

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The 182 doesn’t have a return. The only ones that did were the phase 1 172s. On an original 182 sender there’s only 1 outlet for the fuel feed. Someone may have fitted a phase 1 one for some reason but normally that’d cause issues with the fuel gauge not reading correctly. In theory the one with the return is the better setup.

Mine never had any issues with fuelling until I moved to the ph1 setup. At low fuel levels on hard cornering the engine will hesitate now

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
182 does not have a return line or a regulator on the fuel rail.

I don't think I've ever read about anyone suffering from fuel starvation on these. However if it doesn't do it with a full tank I guess it must be??

If this is a track car you could have a read about swirl pots with lift pumps etc. People with other cars do this to cure fuel starvation issues, the swirl pot usually lives in the boot with a fuel pump so its pretty noisy.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
The 182 doesn’t have a return. The only ones that did were the phase 1 172s. On an original 182 sender there’s only 1 outlet for the fuel feed. Someone may have fitted a phase 1 one for some reason but normally that’d cause issues with the fuel gauge not reading correctly. In theory the one with the return is the better setup.

Mine never had any issues with fuelling until I moved to the ph1 setup. At low fuel levels on hard cornering the engine will hesitate now
Why is return better? I guess air in the fuel line would matter less?

Also, the blanked off line might be the line going to the carbon canister. Mine is blanked off with a one way valve.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn’t the 182 pump just have one plastic outlet on top?

If you have a second pipe with a bolt blanking it, maybe you have the wrong pump?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Why is return better? I guess air in the fuel line would matter less?

Also, the blanked off line might be the line going to the carbon canister. Mine is blanked off with a one way valve.

It’s not the return that makes it better. The ph1 setup has the FPR on the fuel rail which is better when running higher power. Most the turbo kits need the ph1 setup used as the fpr on the rail allows for better regulation than the in tank one.

Doesn’t the 182 pump just have one plastic outlet on top?

If you have a second pipe with a bolt blanking it, maybe you have the wrong pump?

Yep, just one on there. This is the 182 one with one feed.
B6D7AF68-8360-410F-824E-01DF927F9120.jpeg

This is the ph1 setup with the return
B5EF0245-21E7-4FC5-8638-F16824A7C512.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
You should get less drop in pressure when demand changes quickly when the regulator is closer to the rail which is better.

Whether there’s any proper analysis on it to confirm what method is actually “best” I don’t know.

WOW Thanks so much for all your help.
I can now say that the pump I have in my 182, is a out of an early 172 as it is like the one in the photo above (thanks) I guess someone has replaced it for the wrong one. it all makes sense now you guys have pointed it out what is what
I do have a replacement that has one outlet on it so will crack on with fitting it and fingers crossed
Thanks to all that have replied

It’s not the return that makes it better. The ph1 setup has the FPR on the fuel rail which is better when running higher power. Most the turbo kits need the ph1 setup used as the fpr on the rail allows for better regulation than the in tank one.

Yep, just one on there. This is the 182 one with one feed.
View attachment 1575758

This is the ph1 setup with the return
View attachment 1575757
Thanks for your help