ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home cctv and phone apps? recommendations please!

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Dad has had a break in recently and had well over £1000 worth of Milwaukee power tools stolen, wallet etc., he's pretty defeated by it and I'm absolutely gutted for him. Will be taking other measures to make it more difficult if/when there's a next time, but want to price up a decent cctv system for the house at the very least as a deterrent.
From briefly reading this thread, Hikvision seems to be the way to go, I think 4 cameras will be enough to cover driveway, front door, outbuildings and back door.
Running ethernet for PoE won't be a problem, so will need a PoE switch. No idea what NVR will be needed, but I suppose you need to choose cameras first.
Will Hikvision gear give phone notifications for motion without any subscription costs? Further question, can you silence those notifications between certain times?
Any recommendations on specific models of cameras? Doesn't need to be top of the line, just looking for good quality footage, especially in low light.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Dad has had a break in recently and had well over £1000 worth of Milwaukee power tools stolen, wallet etc., he's pretty defeated by it and I'm absolutely gutted for him. Will be taking other measures to make it more difficult if/when there's a next time, but want to price up a decent cctv system for the house at the very least as a deterrent.
From briefly reading this thread, Hikvision seems to be the way to go, I think 4 cameras will be enough to cover driveway, front door, outbuildings and back door.
Running ethernet for PoE won't be a problem, so will need a PoE switch. No idea what NVR will be needed, but I suppose you need to choose cameras first.
Will Hikvision gear give phone notifications for motion without any subscription costs? Further question, can you silence those notifications between certain times?
Any recommendations on specific models of cameras? Doesn't need to be top of the line, just looking for good quality footage, especially in low light.
Low light the hikvision DarkfighterS are definitely the market leader, but they cost a pretty penny (Ie £200 a camera upwards).

Most NVRs do motion detection to a phone app so yes you can silence them. Remember cctv is only for detection and deterrent. If they see your dad humping tools in and out the garage it will be done again. Bollard in front of the garage door stop it rolling up if it opens outwards is a easy fix.

The NVR you pick most likely will have the POE built in, but you can use a POE switch for them and then dont need to worry about running them all back to the nvr as a bundle of 4/8/16 cables.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Low light the hikvision DarkfighterS are definitely the market leader, but they cost a pretty penny (Ie £200 a camera upwards).

Most NVRs do motion detection to a phone app so yes you can silence them. Remember cctv is only for detection and deterrent. If they see your dad humping tools in and out the garage it will be done again. Bollard in front of the garage door stop it rolling up if it opens outwards is a easy fix.

The NVR you pick most likely will have the POE built in, but you can use a POE switch for them and then dont need to worry about running them all back to the nvr as a bundle of 4/8/16 cables.
Didn’t realise the NVR would have PoE built in that makes life easier, thank you. He’s not been particularly diligent with putting them away out of sight, so that’s the main fix, thinking a secure locker of some kind.
They live in a small village with not much around, so I think he became too comfortable. Been a few thefts in the area recently, so just stepping up the security a notch or two will hopefully help.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Didn’t realise the NVR would have PoE built in that makes life easier, thank you. He’s not been particularly diligent with putting them away out of sight, so that’s the main fix, thinking a secure locker of some kind.
They live in a small village with not much around, so I think he became too comfortable. Been a few thefts in the area recently, so just stepping up the security a notch or two will hopefully help.
Depending on the model, always check. Most NVR have it, but will at most power a camera (check usage first).
But i always just POE switch to a central point then the cables are all hidden regardless.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Just a general comment.

A grainey image of someone with a hood up isn't going to help when you have been broken into.

Personally before cctv I would buy an alarm and spend money on locks if they need updating. A house alarm which sends out notifications to various people is much more of a degerant than cctv.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Eufy cameras can also be set to alarm when motion is detected on camera as siren and also on homebase no subs either.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Just a general comment.

A grainey image of someone with a hood up isn't going to help when you have been broken into.

Personally before cctv I would buy an alarm and spend money on locks if they need updating. A house alarm which sends out notifications to various people is much more of a degerant than cctv.
Of course, but the idea is to get phone notifications when there’s motion outside on cctv, check what’s going on and go from there, set the dogs out etc.
It was one of the cars and outbuildings that were broken into last week, not sure that a house alarm would’ve done much good.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Of course, but the idea is to get phone notifications when there’s motion outside on cctv, check what’s going on and go from there, set the dogs out etc.
It was one of the cars and outbuildings that were broken into last week, not sure that a house alarm would’ve done much good.

the phone notifications arent maybe as instant as you think.
by the time the notification has come through, you have checked it and decided there is an issue, the person would have long gone.

out buildings can easily be connect to an alarm which will instantly sound if triggered, its a far better solution than CCTV motion detection notifications.

just trying to offer some advice thats all