ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home cctv and phone apps? recommendations please!

Just replace it with hik turbo / Dahua CVI

both do 5MP kits, saves faffing about with re cabling and you won’t notice any major difference. Infact you won’t get any latency issues experienced with some ip systems

I think i’ve made my mind up and i’ll stick with the current wiring and add additional where needed. I remembered i actually have an Hikvision DVR in my loft that isn’t really any use to me as it only supports adding 2x IP cameras and the rest BNC. (Hikvision DS-7216HQHI-F2/N https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MUD6FLW/?tag=cliospnet01-21)

I’ll try research the 5MP cameras to add to it and hopefully it’s a cheap upgrade without buying a full new kit.

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra GTC
I'm quickly trying to find a wireless camera or 2 for the back and side of the house before prime days done lol
Got a ring doorbell already covering the front but last couple nights there's been someone going round gardens in the area so need extra cover
Seen some that should be about £40 down to £26 but not sure if they're any good? Can put an sd card in them so don't need a subscription which Is better.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073GQ8T2L/?tag=cliospnet01-21

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'm quickly trying to find a wireless camera or 2 for the back and side of the house before prime days done lol
Got a ring doorbell already covering the front but last couple nights there's been someone going round gardens in the area so need extra cover
Seen some that should be about £40 down to £26 but not sure if they're any good? Can put an sd card in them so don't need a subscription which Is better.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073GQ8T2L/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I've got one of them cameras you've linked and it's not wireless.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Well, power cable yeah but is it not WiFi?
I've just bloody bought 2!

Yeh it is. Thought you wanted like properly wireless haha.

Theyre spot on for the money. Obviously never going to be as good as something 5 times the price but I bought mine when it was on offer and can't moan at all. I'll try find a video of the quality.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Unfortunately I don't have any night time footage saved on this phone but here's one of my neighbour returning my solder to show the daytime quality.

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra GTC
That's clear enough for me! £26 each, will cover the back and side. Don't want to be up and down ladders every few weeks charging /replacing batteries.
Need a couple floodlights too for drive and garden. Back to Amazon! Bought loads today!
Also could he not have just put that through letterbox? Imagine not seeing it and putting your wipers on whilst driving haha

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra GTC
Unfortunately I don't have any night time footage saved on this phone but here's one of my neighbour returning my solder to show the daytime quality.

View attachment 1501339

Do you have an SD card in it or are you doing cloud storage?
Mine came yesterday but haven't had chance to lol at them properly so don't know where the SD card goes yet lol

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Do you have an SD card in it or are you doing cloud storage?
Mine came yesterday but haven't had chance to lol at them properly so don't know where the SD card goes yet lol

SD card mate. Can't remember the size but got the largest it'll take it holds a few weeks before overwriting. You've got to take the camera apart to put the card in. Easy to do, only a few screws.

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra GTC
SD card mate. Can't remember the size but got the largest it'll take it holds a few weeks before overwriting. You've got to take the camera apart to put the card in. Easy to do, only a few screws.

Nice one, I'll get some SD cards and get em up at some point next week.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
got a friend who just wants a standalone cctv camera, that records continuously and he can access on his phone.

any recommendations?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
got a friend who just wants a standalone cctv camera, that records continuously and he can access on his phone.

any recommendations?
We have just had this installed at work, stupidly cheap, and can do everything from our phones.
All used on an App called HIK Connect.

8BE9E560-91E2-4513-8A9D-4A9CC242B728.png

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Hikivision for premium/ proper home cctv - couple of 5mp hd vari focal poe. Around 600 for 4 cameras+ 8 chan NVR Can always add more or upgrade etc. For the hikivision ip poe camera they can be used individually without the need for a NVR via set up with computer. can get heat, motion and object, zonal detection.

For cheap alternative ive used the neo camera from amazon £25 quid + £10 for outdoor housing, with motion detection and cloud storage

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
i have a hikvision setup and it uses the above app. but wouldnt call it cheap for home use, think mine came in at £700.
Is that not cheap?!

I thought it was silly cheap when they gave us the bill. In terms of how long it took and value for money at the end of it.

(but I know precisely nothing about technology costs!)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Is that not cheap?!

I thought it was silly cheap when they gave us the bill. In terms of how long it took and value for money at the end of it.

(but I know precisely nothing about technology costs!)
A single camera and cloud storage for a year should be sub £200, so your option is a bit lofty...

Arctic 182, GTD
Looking into getting a nest doorbell and outside camera. Can anyone give me a honest review? Also if I would need anything else to install etc.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Looking into getting a nest doorbell and outside camera. Can anyone give me a honest review? Also if I would need anything else to install etc.

We’ve had the Nest Doorbell installed for about 6 months now. Camera is decent for what it is, nice wide angle. Looks a lot neater than equivalent Ring variants. It works well on the close up and medium distance movements but won’t give great clarity at any real range (to be expected)

I like to google ecosystem as we’ve already got a couple of the thermostats so being able to jump into the app and adjust everything you want really easily is great.

Handy options like muting the doorbell (good for when little ones having a nap or in bed) and the face detection works well too so you know who’s at the door plus you can just chat direct to delivery drivers etc. It definitely gives me peace of mind when my OH is at home with the kids as we do get cold callers from time to time, so she can just chat through the doorbell if she doesn’t like the look of them

We’re looking at getting an additional nest camera to add on at the front and possibly back garden as the doorbell has its limitations given its location.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

Go eufy 2k doorbell and homebase and pro cameras instead better all round and no subscription.

Back again.

Does anyone recommend just stand alone NVR?

So far i have 4 POE IP cameras up (2 Hikvision, 2 non branded but use the same protocols topping at 5mp quality). I connect directly to them each using the IVMS app on my phone for just viewing and use software based recording on a PC for motion which works okay but would like something dedicated.

I think eventually i'll end up with around 8 cameras in total - i don't need it to come with a HDD as i have plenty and i dont really need it to have dedicated POE ports on the unit. Literally something i can bang on the network and add all the cameras onto it for continous recording and access through an app for playback / viewing (its a pain having to go through port forwarding each time for any new cameras i add in currently and one unit set up would solve this)

I did see something like https://www.jmcsecure.co.uk/nvr-108...MIj_j-p6fX7QIVCr_tCh1UCwa6EAQYAyABEgITa_D_BwE but i think its probably too basic / old now (plus its only 4mp support). It doesn't bother me too much that its out of support but i cant seem to find anything regarding the web interface / app access and if its the same as Hikvision - works with ivms.

Anything that works with IVMS is a bonus as i have my relatives unit on the app and its useful to see mine & theirs all on one page / app (they live a few doors away so it's like i have extended view of the street currently!) .

Cheers

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Just use a hik machine? No need to complicate it

Or hi look if you're tight 😉

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I use Hik-Vision / Hi-Look (Same company) and highly recommend them.

4MP Camera's or higher for quality.

Also, consider POE (Power over Ethernet) too. Worth the extra outlay.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Going to bump this thread again and then read back through it to try to get my head around it, but if anyone wants to chip in with advice, it's more than welcome. I'm looking for a set up for home. Thinking 3 camera, 1 front, one side, one rear, along with a recording device. I assume the best bet is to fit them to the underside of the facias at the top and then feed the wiring up into the loft?

The missus seems to think we need to view it on the downstairs TV, but that would mean trailing a s**t load of wires about, whereas if I run it into the loft I can then bring it back down through the ceiling into the office.

house.jpg

I'm thinking if I put them on the underside of the lower elevation bit, they are within reaching distance for some toerag to rip off? The router for the house is literally on the other side of the window where the cable box is, and the TV on the opposite side of the room

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
I have had various Chinese variants and they all fail, the apps are a bit suspect and support isn't there. Although one failed after 2 years and amazon just refunded me.

Currently on a hikvision DVR with HD cameras.

Few bits to consider;

Camera location, everyone gets caught up with "they can get hold of them". Put them in a position that will see people coming and provide usable pictures. Don't put them too high or you get "god mode" and just see someone's head and no recognisable features.

DVR / NVR location, you'll need to access it maybe twice a year properly. For most uses I'd run a HDMI cable from the loft to the living room TV along with a USB extension for the mouse. Nothing else needed really.

Get more cameras, you'll never regret being able to see a car go down the street and clock it's reg plate, but will regret not being able to see the fence where they jumped over and cut your cables.

Different cameras can break it up and positioning helps make you look less drug dealer. I have a dome one behind my sky dish overlooking the drive, bullet one's around the house and a couple of domes on the shed.

Get cameras with a decent MP rating, a lot are HD but 1.3mp. Put them on the TV and you'll not see a thing.

You'll want an ethernet cable to your DVR ideally for the web option.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Going to bump this thread again and then read back through it to try to get my head around it, but if anyone wants to chip in with advice, it's more than welcome. I'm looking for a set up for home. Thinking 3 camera, 1 front, one side, one rear, along with a recording device. I assume the best bet is to fit them to the underside of the facias at the top and then feed the wiring up into the loft?

The missus seems to think we need to view it on the downstairs TV, but that would mean trailing a s**t load of wires about, whereas if I run it into the loft I can then bring it back down through the ceiling into the office.

View attachment 1516389

I'm thinking if I put them on the underside of the lower elevation bit, they are within reaching distance for some toerag to rip off? The router for the house is literally on the other side of the window where the cable box is, and the TV on the opposite side of the room

Screenshot_20210118-204051.png

Best images will be here, you could put them back to back,.ie the front one front left looking back across the property, but the outside light will cause problems

As mentioned dont get drawn into mounting them too high, they are useless as they will just pick up tops of heads etc

For domestic stick.to.hilook, basically hikvision which is already cheap, but cheaper 🤣

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
View attachment 1516440

Best images will be here, you could put them back to back,.ie the front one front left looking back across the property, but the outside light will cause problems

As mentioned dont get drawn into mounting them too high, they are useless as they will just pick up tops of heads etc

For domestic stick.to.hilook, basically hikvision which is already cheap, but cheaper 🤣

That'd be great for his neighbour....

Clio 197,with megan'
I have set up a Simply Safe system, Keypad/cameras/motion sensors/Remote, and phone app, Even good view at night, and very easy to install. Monitoring available for a monthly fee as well.

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA but yeah have them low so you can actually see peoples faces. Police say 90% of cctv is useless as evidence as it just shows tops of people’s heads

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
I went to look at this awful cowboy system someone installed last night.
Its an awful wireless job.

Anran CCTV - 4 wireless cameras. Bought from Facebook Market Place, guy blocked him soon as he walked away with money!

Cameras work on 3 bars wireless signal or better, anything lower the picture is about 5/10 seconds behind even on recording.

What i didn't understand is the chap ran power cables, then in nice outdoor trunking, drilled holes, located the dvr right in the middle of the hall. Surely should have wired them properly, or used better kit!

Asked the guy to buy a 50M HDMI!! It was max 15m, so the guy bought that instead.

The man said the hard drive was moving about, opened the case, yep, was a 500GB Drive (paid for 1TB) and it was a drive from 2011, i mean it was glowing hot! Not secured and taped in with electrical tape!

Got the system up and running, you can piggy back off other cameras to assist the crap wireless system.

Sadly the guy wants to relocate the dvr, don't know if its going to be possible either unless i get better wireless aerials for him.
Chaps away to get a WD RED or a decent SSD, he seems fine with doing it himself, good luck to him.

Awful awful!

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I recently added two cameras to my Synology NAS box, and I'm seriously impressed.

Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 11.28.35.png

The bottom two are the new ones, and are a couple of Reolinks off of Amazon, the clarity compared to the D-Links from 2015/6 is incredible. It is pitch black in the garage too.

Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 11.33.42.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079L5XDNZ/?tag=cliospnet01-21

£94 for a pair of them, seemed cheap to me. Didn't take too much configuring to turn all the phone home stuff off.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
So im in the market for a NVR, 8 channel and some either domes or bullets.
Budget is under 1k for it all.
Will be cabling cat6 throughout the house so will got back to a POE switch if needed.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I recently added two cameras to my Synology NAS box, and I'm seriously impressed.

View attachment 1516945

The bottom two are the new ones, and are a couple of Reolinks off of Amazon, the clarity compared to the D-Links from 2015/6 is incredible. It is pitch black in the garage too.

View attachment 1516948

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079L5XDNZ/?tag=cliospnet01-21

£94 for a pair of them, seemed cheap to me. Didn't take too much configuring to turn all the phone home stuff off.
How much was that all in? Can you also connect indoor cameras to it?

Wanting to get some for outside and 2 for inside at the new gaff. With the ability to add more in the future. Would you recommend yours?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
How much was that all in? Can you also connect indoor cameras to it?

Wanting to get some for outside and 2 for inside at the new gaff. With the ability to add more in the future. Would you recommend yours?

Yeah it'll run all sorts of cameras, it's not just a CCTV box though:

Synology Box ~£200
2x 3TB HDD ~£200
2x D-Link Cameras ~£400 (bought back in 2015)
2x Reolink Cameras £94
Additional camera license for Synology (to use 4 cameras, you get 2 free.) ~£150

I have a PoE switch, but that switches everything in the house not just the CCTV.