ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home cctv and phone apps? recommendations please!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ive just purchased a brand new hiwatch dome to plug into my old hikvsion nvr, the quality isn't very good at all.

the image is better on my year old hiwatch dome camera.

is this likely to be due to the age of my nvr?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
The monitor is so you can view the cameras for setup & recording playback rather than looking at your phone ap.
I have my NVR linked to my lounge TV via HDMI, the NVR needs to be connected to your router as well.

Cool, so I can just have it out of the way in the living room then? I was thinking of having it away in the spare bedroom with a monitor on it so that all of the wires to cameras etc were out of reach of anyone from ground level. But then I'd have to run an ethernet up to that room from the router.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I installed a Ring Pro on Friday. It’s been brilliant so far. Installation and setup was a pain (from a connectivity point of view) but now the Chime & Doorbell seem to be working fine, and I can’t fault it. I’m still considering a CCTV system, but wouldn’t know where to start, so need to do some reading!

I fitted a Ring Doorbell2 and Spotlight Cam the other day.
Seem to work ok so far, installation was simple and the floodlight lights up the carpark nicely at night.
Have already told someone having a p1ss next to the wheelie bin to f*ck off via the loudspeaker :ROFLMAO:

Recently moved into a house with YI cameras. There’s 2, similar to nest (maybe getting mixed up as I’ve done a lot of reading tonight) roughly £12 a month for up to 5 cameras for a 15 day loop and notifications. The quality is really good (nightvision, day time, fps etc) but first family home so looking like we’ll be here a good 20 years of she doesn’t run off. So reluctant to use them.

I’m looking towards having a dvr or a hard drive of some sort in the loft and possibly wireless cameras, do people run Ethernet cables all the way into lofts? Or is it possible for wireless hard drives?

I’ve read about the POE which I don’t mind As an option and it looks better to run rather than the 2 cables to each camera with the plugs, it’s just getting cables long enough and routing, there’s one on the garage currently looking at the whole back of the house which I like the idea of, rather than looking down from above over the back of the house, I don’t know how I’d do it, run under ground? Is it possible to get systems to have some wired and some wireless for garages etc, there’s power in there.

from what I’ve said I’m wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I read about cameras having a 128gb card in them, how many hours will that record? And do they just loop and connnect to a router/app or do you still need a DVR?

if the dvr is in my front room would I have to boost signal somehow to reach the garage if wireless?
  • 4 cameras
  • Dvr in loft (is wireless an option?) or run Ethernet, other option be in front room but would need really long cables if wired
  • Don’t mind POE but not sure how to run to garage so have wireless as an option?
  • Would like a phone app capability

hope that makes sense. Cheers.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
What’s people’s opinions on the Swann CCTV kits? £200 off on Black Friday deals.
What kind of cost should I expect for an installer to fit something like that?

What’s people’s opinions on the Swann CCTV kits? £200 off on Black Friday deals.
What kind of cost should I expect for an installer to fit something like that?

That’s why I started looking as I looked at that system then started looking into more models.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
That’s why I started looking as I looked at that system then started looking into more models.

Coax cables not Poe, H.264 not the latest H.265, 1tb with cameras recording 15fs, but for £200 seems fine.

Yes I’m going to give reolink a go. 4x5mp camera, poe, 2tb nvr,compatible with phone app, should of been £437 reduced to £314 in the sale. Googled for a discount coupon see if anything popped up and found one that got another 10% off too so paid £283 free shipping. Hope it’s alright.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Yes I’m going to give reolink a go. 4x5mp camera, poe, 2tb nvr,compatible with phone app, should of been £437 reduced to £314 in the sale. Googled for a discount coupon see if anything popped up and found one that got another 10% off too so paid £283 free shipping. Hope it’s alright.

Link?

Ocrlew

ClioSport Club Member
Deffo need a link to that and the discount code haha

Found coupon here but mine was along the lines of REO10OFF

Camera system - RLK8-410B4

Where have people been stashing the hard drives? Was going to put it in the bedroom hidden away but not sure about the fan noise. Was going to fit in the loft but read about the heat in lofts in summer Having a detrimental effect on shelf life of the box.

Excellent piece of kit and the app is great. Not fitted yet but been having a play around in the room tonight. Well worth the money.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
If I were to buy 3 hikvision colour vue cameras do I have to have a drive from hikvision too or will any decent one work fine ie wont cause any issues etc?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
If I were to buy 3 hikvision colour vue cameras do I have to have a drive from hikvision too or will any decent one work fine ie wont cause any issues etc?

Do you mean the actual hard drive or the NVR?

You could use any NVR really and the hard drive i'd recommend a Western Digital Purple.

Ignore that, I've just read the thread and know the answer about the cheap camera.
Where is best to look for a 2/3 camera system that won't break the earth? I'm not looking for a setup as fancy as some of you but something reasonable.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Ignore that, I've just read the thread and know the answer about the cheap camera.
Where is best to look for a 2/3 camera system that won't break the earth? I'm not looking for a setup as fancy as some of you but something reasonable.

Get something POE that way you can upgrade cameras & NVR as the technology advances.

Ok, this thread has been an education.
It's made me realise what sort of setup I want but also that I don't think I would be capable of installing it.

We're just in the process of getting quotes for a rewire so if I go self install route the electricians can do the cameras and cabling for me but I would need someone to do all of the technical stuff for the setup.

Or is it just easier to get someone to do the whole lot? I've had one quote for a 3 camera system with 20m night vision 5mp cameras, with dvr and 1TB hard drive from £450.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Ok, this thread has been an education.
It's made me realise what sort of setup I want but also that I don't think I would be capable of installing it.

We're just in the process of getting quotes for a rewire so if I go self install route the electricians can do the cameras and cabling for me but I would need someone to do all of the technical stuff for the setup.

Or is it just easier to get someone to do the whole lot? I've had one quote for a 3 camera system with 20m night vision 5mp cameras, with dvr and 1TB hard drive from £450.

Depends on how much you value your time. But when I had mine installed (4 camera system) it took the guy that knows what he is doing 7 hours of work. If that quote includes the equipment I’d get them round ASAP.
As there is no way it would have taken me 7 hours in not really knowing what I am doing and having to learn about the set up.

Ocrlew

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone used eufycam before?
I’m very tempted by that? It’s that or Arlo pro 2 (eufy seems to get same reviews as Arlo pro 2)

Where and more importantly, how high have people positioned their cameras?
I don't want them positioned too high and not be able to see faces clearly and won't be able to see how they look until the cables are already run.

This is what I'm thinking for the front and back. OK or do they need moving?

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 55

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Where and more importantly, how high have people positioned their cameras?
I don't want them positioned too high and not be able to see faces clearly and won't be able to see how they look until the cables are already run.

This is what I'm thinking for the front and back. OK or do they need moving?

I have the two at front set low, one by front door & other under soffit looking at the drive & cars.
You could have one by front door in porch area?
The one on the side is set high under the soffit & one on back looking at back door & rear is also under soffit (out of the weather)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Chaps. Help.

I need a camera and a recorder for the site at work.

Really I just need one camera, maybe two, and a decent size drive to record to (not cloud base - company rules)

I need to go get it today ideally. It’s just to record site progress.

Definitely two cameras

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Anyone fitted hikvision colourvue cameras yet if so what's the verdict?
Full colour even at night.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
Anyone fitted hikvision colourvue cameras yet if so what's the verdict?
Full colour even at night.
I have had hikvision installed for a few years now its superb,i have a monitor in the bedroom and the app on my phone works perfect (y) just make sure you have sensible broad band for the app otherwise you can forget about getting any connection when you are out and about..Another thing make sure the cameras are at a height that a potential thief cannot get to them,as my neighbour who live's a few doors up from me found out when a couple of toe rags covered his up to try and still his car.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I have had hikvision installed for a few years now its superb,i have a monitor in the bedroom and the app on my phone works perfect (y) just make sure you have sensible broad band for the app otherwise you can forget about getting any connection when you are out and about..Another thing make sure the cameras are at a height that a potential thief cannot get to them,as my neighbour who live's a few doors up from me found out when a couple of toe rags covered his up to try and still his car.

Got one on demo

Screenshot_20200404-135706.png

Screenshot_20200404-135522.png

Same garden - effectively they cross eachother excuse the mess got a project in the go in the house so it's now a dumping ground lol

Monochrome is a 4mp dahua dome
Colour is a hik colurview 5mp

It's ok tbh however they do run a led to illuminate if there's no supplementry lighting

Dahua make a better one that doesn't have an led - need to get my hands on one of them

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
This was mine from last night, cats trigger the motion.
Screen shot from playback.

6B843BDF-456B-4F16-868D-EF7007829DFE.jpeg

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

Before I get one of these is there anything cheaper/better for the same money?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

Before I get one of these is there anything cheaper/better for the same money?

The storage option is not cheap, from £2.50 per month per device, limited to 30 days as well?
My system records to NVR HD & is available for 60 days minimum (no cloud storage) I have four high quality cams around the house all recording on motion activation using the latest H265.
Depending on if you want to expand in the future not going to be cheap option?