ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home cctv and phone apps? recommendations please!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it'll run all sorts of cameras, it's not just a CCTV box though:

Synology Box ~£200
2x 3TB HDD ~£200
2x D-Link Cameras ~£400 (bought back in 2015)
2x Reolink Cameras £94
Additional camera license for Synology (to use 4 cameras, you get 2 free.) ~£150

I have a PoE switch, but that switches everything in the house not just the CCTV.
Thanks mate. I'll look into it. What does the switch do? Talk to me like I'm a 4 year old.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
A switch enables devices on a network to talk to each other. I have Ethernet all around my house, so all devices that can be, are wired back to the switch in the loft. ‘PoE’ is Power over Ethernet, where the switch can provide enough wattage for lightweight devices such as WiFi access points, phones, CCTV cameras, etc but the power is sent down the same copper cable as the network traffic.

That was probably about right for a twelve year old, I can’t simplify further. 😘

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
A switch enables devices on a network to talk to each other. I have Ethernet all around my house, so all devices that can be, are wired back to the switch in the loft. ‘PoE’ is Power over Ethernet, where the switch can provide enough wattage for lightweight devices such as WiFi access points, phones, CCTV cameras, etc but the power is sent down the same copper cable as the network traffic.

That was probably about right for a twelve year old, I can’t simplify further. 😘
Okay thank you, ended up buying a Nintendo and can't wait to get it wired in

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
I got to mess with a Hikvision at the weekend for someone. Apart from the cameras all being locked and unable to be used (at the moment) its menu looked good.

Got a Dahua nvr and camera on test at the moment. All i can say is wow, the quality on them are unbelievable!!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Still very please with my Hikvision setup, just a couple of live shots.
Never bothered with a ring etc door bell as these give better views.

13939BB8-A0B5-4BE5-B0A9-E308C4691009.png
DBDE6C3E-78BC-44DD-8A60-67AF156171A0.png
AA85195B-E579-49B2-B4FD-1ABFA7CA8A54.png

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
It is all in this thread from 18 months ago,

Thanks mate

Looks like this one?

Screenshot_20210221_134950_com.android.chrome.jpg

Also are your cameras poe? So it's just one wire?

Last edited:

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
People with Hikvision cams, what desktop software you using?

Just upgraded my camera to a Hikvision 2347G1-LU and will be using it without a NVR so just saving to an sd card. Managed to get it working with my powerlines and can live view in Hik Connect. I've downloaded iVMS 4200 on my desktop pc but it look different to the paperwork I got with the camera.

What software is this?

IMG_20210330_123525.jpg

Last edited:

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Looks like it’s just the web browser access by using ur cams IP.

You could use IVMS-4200/4500
Correctamundo, thanking you.

This hikvision has soooo many more options than my cheapo Amazon cam. Looking forward to getting it up at the weekend.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
I bought this to try it out before flogging to a customer, which i will be.

Reolink - RLC-511W - 5MP Dual-Band WiFi Security Camera.

Now its on amazon for a cheaper price - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FDZ2D1X/?tag=cliospnet01-21
£98.99 but has a £15 quid off.
So took the punt, tried it.

Pretty damn impressed with the quality so far and the nightmode is pretty good in almost complete darkness (1 or 2 LUX).

Ill mount it properly this weekend and show some pics of the quality.

Easy to set up, no DDNS needed, straight onto IoT on the reolink app.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
People with Hikvision cams, what desktop software you using?

Just upgraded my camera to a Hikvision 2347G1-LU and will be using it without a NVR so just saving to an sd card. Managed to get it working with my powerlines and can live view in Hik Connect. I've downloaded iVMS 4200 on my desktop pc but it look different to the paperwork I got with the camera.

What software is this?

View attachment 1530077
This is the web browser page.

I can tell you these 3 things.
CHANGE THE ADMIN PASSWORD straight away.
CHANGE THE PORTS for the the camera for HTTP (80 standard) and SSL (443 standard) to something else, also you may need a DDNS for connecting to camera externally.
Format SD card in the camera, otherwise it wont work.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Right, finally got the camera in place but its burning through my sd card at a rate of knots compared to my old camera. Presume its because the better quality etc etc.

I'm now looking into whether an nvr would be better. Just something like a 1tb would probably do. Now, I know nothing about these, so please excuse if these are simple questions.

Am I able to use an nvr without a computer? I do have a pc if needed to set up but I want to be able to view the footage just off my phone as I do now through the Hik Connect app.

Am I right in thinking it's just a cat cable from camera to router, then a cat cable from router to nvr? Or is it, camera to nvr to router?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Right, finally got the camera in place but its burning through my sd card at a rate of knots compared to my old camera. Presume its because the better quality etc etc.

I'm now looking into whether an nvr would be better. Just something like a 1tb would probably do. Now, I know nothing about these, so please excuse if these are simple questions.

Am I able to use an nvr without a computer? I do have a pc if needed to set up but I want to be able to view the footage just off my phone as I do now through the Hik Connect app.

Am I right in thinking it's just a cat cable from camera to router, then a cat cable from router to nvr? Or is it, camera to nvr to router?
Ignore this. Worked it out 🥵

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Is anyone familiar with hikvision CCTVs?
I've got them set up at work but haven't got a clue how to set up remote viewing

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm a technology dumbass so what is the simplest package I can get for 2 or 3 cameras.

Are the Ring offerings any good?
Battery Powered and Cloud Storage?

Only really want one for the front door and side passage of the house and maybe the back garden/door.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I'm a technology dumbass so what is the simplest package I can get for 2 or 3 cameras.

Are the Ring offerings any good?
Battery Powered and Cloud Storage?

Only really want one for the front door and side passage of the house and maybe the back garden/door.

Eufy 2Cpro I have there doorbell its fantastic 2k great detection no false alarms way better than Ring stuff.
No subscription either records direct on to internal drive.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Got my Hikvision Colorvu cam up last night. Wasn't mega impressed with it out of the box, had to do a bit of messing to get it right at night.

Does anyone know how to get it to record continuously as well as having motion detection? I've read it can't be done on an sd card and needs an nvr. Is that true? Hopefully will have an nvr in the next few weeks anyway but wanted to double check how others have theirs set up.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Got my Hikvision Colorvu cam up last night. Wasn't mega impressed with it out of the box, had to do a bit of messing to get it right at night.

Does anyone know how to get it to record continuously as well as having motion detection? I've read it can't be done on an sd card and needs an nvr. Is that true? Hopefully will have an nvr in the next few weeks anyway but wanted to double check how others have theirs set up.
Motion is the setting you need but you could add Post-Motion Recording on a separate camera unless you plug it into the NVR system.
I leave my motion on and just record motion as its facing the back garden right now on test.

Not really on the same level as some of these set ups but I have a couple of the blink wireless cameras and rate them for what they cost.
No subscription and lasted well over a year on the current battery, plus you can set you're own detection spots so they only record when someone enters a certain threshold it will start recording and send an alert to your phone.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

Mines just set on motion, I had to hatch out the trees & bushes in the advanced settings as these were triggering constantly.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
So im going to be fitting CCTV and im looking at the Reolink RLK8-820D4 4k 8MP camera set up with 4 cameras & a 2TB HDD

I don't know much about it but a friend has this installed and swears by the quality of it.

Any thoughts or input and is there better out there ? I only need 4 cameras Max.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
So im going to be fitting CCTV and im looking at the Reolink RLK8-820D4 4k 8MP camera set up with 4 cameras & a 2TB HDD

I don't know much about it but a friend has this installed and swears by the quality of it.

Any thoughts or input and is there better out there ? I only need 4 cameras Max.

New house or existing?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member

I have that kit, very easy to install and really really good quality. All in all very happy with it

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Only thing with CCTV and doing some research on it is the rules about having it.

This taken from the ICO Official website.

What is the law if my CCTV captures images of people outside my own home and garden?​

If your CCTV captures images beyond your property boundary, such as your neighbours’ property or public streets and footpaths, then your use of the system is subject to the data protection laws.

This does not mean you are breaking the law. But it does mean that, as the CCTV user, you are a data controller. So you will need to comply with your legal obligations under the data protection laws.

You can still capture images, but you need to show you are doing it in ways that comply with the data protection laws and uphold the rights of the people whose images you are capturing.

What must I do if I capture images of people outside my own home and garden?​

If you are capturing images beyond your property boundary, you should have a clear and justifiable reason for doing so. In particular, you will need to think why you need these images. If asked by an individual or the ICO, you will need to be able to explain your reasons, so you should write them down now. You should also write down why you think capturing the images is more important than invading the privacy of your neighbours and passers-by.

You will also need to:

• Let people know you are using CCTV by putting up signs saying that recording is taking place, and why.
  • Ensure you don’t capture more footage than you need to achieve your purpose in using the system.
  • Ensure the security of the footage you capture – in other words, holding it securely and making sure nobody can watch it without good reason.
  • Only keep the footage for as long as you need it – delete it regularly, and when it is no longer needed.
  • Ensure the CCTV system is only operated in ways you intend and can’t be misused for other reasons. Anyone you share your property with, such as family members who could use the equipment, needs to know the importance of not misusing it.
You also need to make sure you respect the data protection rights of the people whose images you capture. This includes the following things:

• Responding to subject access requests (SARs), if you receive any. Individuals have a right to access the personal data you hold about them, including identifiable images. They can ask you verbally or in writing. You must respond within one month and give them a copy of the data.
  • Deleting footage of people if they ask you to do so. You should do this within one month. You can refuse to delete it if you specifically need to keep it for a genuine legal dispute – in which case you need to tell them this, and also tell them they can challenge this in court or complain to the ICO.
  • Consider any objection you get now from particular people about capturing their image in the future. Given the nature of CCTV systems, this may be very difficult to do. However, you should again think whether you need to record images beyond your property boundary – particularly if your system is capturing images from a neighbour’s home or garden.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Is anyone running Reolink ?

Just bought the Reolink RLK8-820D4 4k 8MP camera set up with 4 cameras & a 2TB HDD.

Is it easy enough to set up once its all been wired in ??

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

Just bought the Reolink RLK8-820D4 4k 8MP camera set up with 4 cameras & a 2TB HDD.

When's moving day mate?

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator

Setup is pretty simple, plug and play with the poe just need to scan for the cameras in the setup menu. Just remember to set the record schedule to 24 hours if you wish that rather than motion otherwise you'll have huge gaps in the recordings if waiting for motion only.

Reolink app is very slick, only thing I suggest is turn off the notifications for motion (depending on your setup) found the notifications for motion was picking up swaying trees and leaves falling.

On the POE cameras setup a password in-case someone does get into the network side of it, they cannot directly log onto the camera.

Next is the DDNS on the nvr, the inbuilt free ddns is good, so stick to that, just make sure you pick strong passwords for all accounts as they viewable online and previous "defaults" have been exploited.

EDIT - Just read your legality on the recoding of images, make sure you have VISIBLE CCTV recording stickers on the window (bottom floor and upper floor window) two per side will do. This generally is acceptable that is warning you have cctv recording. If you are clearly recording the road/street/neighbours the police will ask for the recordings of them if they know / neighbours know if something happens. Part of course of it really. But so long as you arent storing any material past its useful use, all is fine.