ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home made installs

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy

Anyone tried this?
Ive got 2 10" Xplod subs & 2 Xplod amps wired up but it looks a mess, and theres virtually no room in the boot which aint very handy when i take my gran shopping every week!!!
Im thinking of trying to build my own install out of MDF. Im pretty handy doing this sorta stuff, but has anyone tried doing it? Itll certainly be cheaper than getting a company to do a professional install coz i can get the MDF for free.
I dont wanna make it all, carpet it, then find out it rattles like hell!! Soundproofing needed? Anyone know any cheap ways of soundproofing the boot coz it costs tons usually to get it all done.

Im in the middle of a DIY install.

Nothing too flashy, just a couple of 12" subs, 3 amps and a couple of neons.

I am using a load of MDF to make a false floor and side panels to mount the amps on to. I dont want to drill any holes in my bodywork so it can be a bit tricky, but its well worth it in the end.

Unless you want something that looks absolutely stunning with fibreglass enclosures etc, I wouldnt take it to the pros coz it is quite easy once you get the hang of it. The only limitation is your imagination (and boot space!)

I also used MDF to make some front door builds to hold my 6" component speakers.

As for sound proofing, I havent used any, but I may do in future if vibration/road noise is a problem when Ive finished.

Ill let you know when Ive finished and maybe e-mail you some pics or something.

silver valver/hybrid

ive always built my own boxes, you can get an 8 x 4 sheet of MDF from B&Q for a tenner, it aint hard to work out the volume needed, there is always quite a large tolerance anyway. When i get some money together (ie a job) i am going to build two 12" sub boxes and an amp rack. I havent tried using sound proofing before but i might give it a whirl this time round.

Im trying an install too, only one 12 and the amp under a false floor. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to get neons from? Ive found one places but theyre not really what I want, want tubes as long as possible really.

Also Ben what have you trimmed your door builds in? Im using some pre made plastic ones at the moment but Im not happy with em, so got some MDF ones made up but need to trim em.

Al

silver valver/hybrid

my mate got some vinal, in sheet form, i cant remember where he got it from, but he built door builds out of MDF then wrapped the vinal round and stapled it on.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

If you want it to be sound proofed your gonna have to use sealant on all the inside joins and make sure that all the joints are at 90 degrees to each other.

On the subject of what to use to cover door builds I think Halfords sell 1x2 metre rolls of Acoustic Carpet. Dont know how much they charge though.

Rick

ICE'dberg MK2 172

If you want some ideas, check out one of the new Max Power manuals...like a Haynes manual but for modding. They do one on ICE installing and fabricating. Ive only thumbed through it in my local Halfords store and thought it was really good showing you how to make those flashy glass fibre installs and making it look really easy for someone with a little bit of DIY knowledge and some decent tools.

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy

Smoothed you might be better off posting them on the ICE gallery as it seems quite a few people want the pics, so you may as well show them off to everyone in here too!

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Just finished my install and taken the piccies, but not digital so will have to get them processed. Will be posting them on the site soon......

Alpine 7876 head, Directed 650 amp, MB Quart PSCs and JL W6.....sounds the monkeys nuts.

Ive done my own install out of mdf and white Leatherette - 2 12" Kenwoods and 2 600watt sony amps and blue neon, also done the same in my mates 306. A picture of both mine and his boot installs ended up in Redline last year at the Mean Street South cruise! Ill try and post a pic or if not ill be at castle combes on the 27th april.