ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Horizontal Tripod.

Not really sure what the proper name for it is, but something that means I can get the camera horizontal to the floor. My tripod will rotate so the lens faces the floor, but it doesn't get it far enough away from the tripod.

Kinda hard to explain so I've commissioned an artist to explain what I mean..

tripod.jpg

Ian

Focus TDCi
You can get a boom for a light stand, which looks like that.. I dunno if they could hold a camera though.

Nice pic btw. :)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Cant you get a bit of metal or wood and bolt it to the tripod and then counter weight the tripod

14' Leon Cupra 280
Yeh, my Manfrotto used to do that... but with a weight camera/lens it's not always supportive enough...

manfrotto190.jpg

Cupra
My tripod does that, I just shortenned the two legs on the front so that it went from being like:

055XPRO_horizontal.jpg

to:

14u9ysh.jpg

You do have to hold it down though, but it stays solid enough to get a crisp shot.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
yup get a manfroto but get a photography head not a video one like the ones above...

and if you look on the centre leg of the tripod there is a clip to use to weight it down so you dont have to hold it... tbh my manfroto will hold my d2x with lens on at full reach so i dont see why people are having to hold it...

"Navy" N17 TWO
I have that tripod ^

It is fantastic :D but not had to use the horizontal function yet so I can't comment.
Try it anyway and hold the tripod down, shoot with the remote :)

Cupra
It was about 150 all in so not too bad (Manfrotto 055XPROB). If yours does what you showed in your photo, then you would be able to get it like mine just by adjusting the front legs.

Malice is right about the hook to put a bag/ weight onto, but when you shorten the legs like that to get them out of shot, it is a bit front heavy. If the object is not too large, then the legs spread really wide and you don't have to worry about getting them in the shot either.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. I have a decent but clearly not quite good enough tripod. Don't really want to spend that sort of cash on one as it'll probably only be for half a dozen shots! Lol.

I'll see what I can bodge!

Thinking about it, I think mine might do it. Because the top bit has a windy bit on it, then it extends! Hmmmm. I'll have to look when I get home.

Cupra
I know what you mean. I broke my old tripod and was going to replace it with a 50 quid job, then saw a Manfrotto which was on another level but 110, then saw this one which was a bit more still. I managed to justify it to myself at the time but it was one of my more impulsive buys.

I checked and mine doesn't do it!

I shall 'borrow' some bits from work and see what I can make! It's only for splash shots :eek:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
ebay you will get some old manfroto's cheap most of them do it...

Haven't you got a spare? Lol.

I'm still waiting for whatever lens you had that you were going to donate to me too!!

Justin, not too high. Enough for focus distance and whatever I'm dropping into. So mebbe 50cm?

Cupra
How about putting the tripod on the table and either clamp it down or put something over the legs?

4266481053_ca14401630_o.jpg

Another trick the Manfrotto has, just incase you were tempted to go shopping:

4266492491_dc79c9a57d_o.jpg

Over the table is a good shout!!

It might be something I invest in at some stage, just not right now I don't think.