ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Horrible clanking/scraping from engine on full lock

Clio 182
Feel your pain, been in the similar/same situation

Only had my car for 12months, and had dephaser & timing done, waterpump, pas pump all on separate occasions so 3belt kits @ around £65 iirc + other parts - expensive stuff but the type of parts they are i dont see them requiring replacement for the rest of my ownership - problem with buying 2nd hand is its other peoples problems your buying, so gotta keep on fixing them as they come, then hopefully.. things should run smoothly thereon :)

Clio 172 Mk2
i keep telling myself that mate but then something else arises :( my car will be pretty much new soon apart from the shell haha

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've just done a pas pump on a non cup this afternoon. Not as bad as I was remembering actually, it's only the alternator I needed to take out the way and then the pump just about wriggles free, I was wrong about needing to move the Aircon pump too, it's only one of the pipes that gets in the way, and that's only held to the body by a 10mm bolt.

Clio 172 Mk2
ahhh thanks for letting me know mate. We've decided we're gonna attempt it ourselves next week. Did you have to take the front bumper and drivers side arch liner off?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We dont run the arch liners, but yes I took the front bump and the slam panel off.
(there are 2 bolts that arent obvious on the slam panel by the way, on the vertical bracket, not just the 4 at the top)

When you take the pump itself out, remember there is a 4 bolt holding it in which is tucked around the back, and also the high pressure pipe bolts to the block under the inlet manifold.

Clio 172 Mk2
well we've just finished taking the old PAS pump off, won't be able to fit the replacement until it arrives tomorrow. The clips on my front grille have always been broke so we were easily able to take it out without removing the bumper which was a bonus :) i'll be honest i'm not holding much hope to this fixing it. The pump moves perfectly freely by hand with no noises and all pulleys look in check :/

Clio 172 Mk2
Just letting everyone know we finished replacing the power steering pump this morning and it has resolved the issue :) chuffed to bits!! steering is quiet as a mouse now, was weird considering the old pump looked in good order, must have been something inside it that had gone :) many thanks for everyone input!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Glad to hear its all sorted now, always bad trying to diagnose a fault just from someone's description on a forum but looks like we got it right for you then :)

Clio 172 Phase 2
Reading this thread I reakon I have the exact same problem. Accept when trying to diagnose my fault. I sprayed WD40 on the pas Pulley and the metallic squeeking stopped for 5 mins then carried on again. And some times after a long drive the noise stops. Really random. I'm still driving it tho as I need it for work. Just hope she holds out