ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Horrible Steering noise

Countryman JCW
When i start my car from cold, im getting a horrible noise from the engine bay when steering from half-full lock, it sounds almost like something is catching and the PAS becomes intermitent. Ive checked the power steering fluid and topped it up, but im still getting it. There doesnt appear to be any leekages from the pump, could it be that the pump is nakerd?

any help would be appreciated as its pretty embarressing

Looking for 182
Does it sound like this?

[youtube]6IFSRKJQMYU[/youtube]

This was mine a few weeks back. I had the PAS pump replaced and it is gone now.

Countryman JCW
i am at work at the moment, but will check that when i get home this evening. If it sounds like a horrible plasticy scratching/cracking sound as apose to a loose belt sound, then thats spot on, i did think it was the pump nakered!

Countryman JCW
No nothing like this sound at all, its more cracky, sounds like some plasting is being put into a blender, really bad noise! anyone else had similar sounds?

Countryman JCW
No its when ever the car is cold, like first thing in the morning, im parked on the road outside my house, and when i turn the steering wheel to pull out it makes this noise, il have to record it on my phone and post a video on here, ive never heard anything like it. Having a new drive shaft fitted in the next week so going to have it looked at, will update when i get news. When the car has been driven for about 30 seconds or the steering has been used it stops right away.

Thanks for everyones input so far.

Peddled device
I had this on my 172 Cup...it went back to Renault and they changed a power steering hose.It never came back after that.

RS172 PH1
r0ssi172, sorry to dig up an old thread, did you ever get to the bottom of the noise ? mine has started making what I'm fairly sure is the exact same noise

Countryman JCW
To be honest ive not driven the car since then as its being turned into a track car. When the work starts on it i will be getting the issue sorted.

If you find anything out feel free to PM me mate so i can save time messing around!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Right enough, what was it in the end? :)

I'm getting exactly what you are describing in mine (you have made a better description of it) and I hope it's the rack mount bushes going by what others have had & resolved on here, seems to be common enough problem

RS172 PH1
I got to the bottom of my issues, it was the accessories belt slipping on the top pulley when the power steering was putting more load through everything, made a horrible squeaking noise. Time for a belt change for me I guess.

RS172 PH1
btw this one's easy enough to spot as well, pop the bonnet and look at the top pulley whilst moving the wheel left and right while the car's idling, you'll see the pulley stopping and the belt just slipping.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Ours isn't a squeaking noise mate, its more like someone put plastic in a blender (as the OP said)

Glad you got sorted though :)

RS172 PH1
what I call a "squeak" sounds almost exactly like someone was putting my front bumper through a blender, the OP's description fitted exactly what I was hearing and how I would have described it. You could also check your main crank pulley too that's what mine was first diagnosed as possibly being (the Renault mechanic actually thought it was a bearing on the idler or something, but he didn't even bother lifting the bonnet to check).

Countryman JCW
Yeah that's what mine does!!!!

thing that confuses me is... It made that noise before/after I had the belts changed?!

oh we'll il get it sorted when I have boost added to it in the new year!