ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hosepipe ban, what technique?

1.2 Dynamique 16v
So they're saying a hosepipe ban is imminent.

Whats your plan in terms of maintaining a detailed car?

I'm tempted to buy some ONR, but wondered what people do without it?

I would give it a good detail before making sure I seal it the best I can so it lasts the ban, surely the ban can't last that long.

Jap Box
So would they class a hose pipe ban as purely a hose pipe? What if you were to use say a pressure washer?

1.2 Dynamique 16v
I remember it lasted quite a while last year.

When it happened last year I bought a 5L Pump Sprayer, but having read all of the detailing chit chat now.. I'd be too scared to cause swirls from not being able to get the majority of muck off. I guess the other option is to take the car down to the petrol station and use their pressure washer to get rid of most of the crap and then use the pump spray as a rinse.

But I'm very tempted to buy some ONR, not sure whether to buy 1 Gallon @ ~ £35 or 32oz @ ~ £15. The maths says buy 1 Gallon (128oz) but it depends if I like it, then it could be a waste... Has anyone used ONR successfully? Opinions?

Jap Box
Ive also never once used a hosepipe on my car anyway, just two buckets and a sponge, works just as well really aslong as you work from the top down. Then simply dry down afterwards then carry on as per usual.

1.2 Dynamique 16v
Lol just don't get caught.

I wonder if jetwash stations will be shut at petrol stations during this time.

When they say it was going to happen?

Business' that provide jetwash facilities remain open IIRC. Otherwise every summer the 'drive and shine' etc would go bust.

Well that's my answer then either give it a good seal or wax before the ban, or just use jetwash stations for a quick clean.

Suzuki Jimny
Ive also never once used a hosepipe on my car anyway, just two buckets and a sponge, works just as well really aslong as you work from the top down. Then simply dry down afterwards then carry on as per usual.

What do you rinse the soapy water off with?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
ONR.

Research, research and research some more!

Washing without water its like washing your hair & body with no water just doesn't work. Seems really strange how do you get rid of the dirt, suds, even rinse inbetween stages? No thanks

1.2 Dynamique 16v
Washing without water its like washing your hair & body with no water just doesn't work. Seems really strange how do you get rid of the dirt, suds, even rinse inbetween stages? No thanks

I'm no expert either, and I'm skeptical too. But from the very little I've read up on it so far, there seems to be a science behind the way the formula works. Taken from elitecarcare.co.uk :

Here's how it works:
Add 1 ounce of No Rinse Wash & Shine to 2 gallons of water to make an excellent no rinse car wash. Soak a microfibre towel in the solution and wash your vehicle with the wet towel. Dry each section with another microfibre towel. There's no need to rinse! The lubricants and substantive polymers in the formula will protect your vehicle from abrasion as it safely cleans all vehicle surfaces. The polymers encapsulate dirt and cause it to drop to the bottom of the bucket. No Rinse Wash & Shine actually cleans the wash water as it cleans your vehicle! And it leaves your vehicle super slick, like it was just waxed!

Add 1 ounce to wash water made with your regular car wash. No Rinse Wash & Shine's advanced polymers and lubricants offer more surface protection and slickness than ordinary car soap alone. It acts as a water softener and conditioner to improve the quality of the water that touches your vehicle to provide the ultimate safe wash.

Add 2 ounces of No Rinse Wash & Shine to a gallon of water to make a super-slick clay bar lubricant. Wet the surface of your vehicle to provide a slippery protective layer beneath your clay. After you've clayed each section, simply wipe it dry. This solution is as effective as any clay lubricant you can buy!

Add 6 ounces of No Rinse Wash & Shine to a gallon of water to make an excellent quick detailer. Fill up a spray bottle with this mixture and use it to clean and shine your vehicle, just as you would use a traditional detailer. The proprietary polymers bond to the paint surface to protect it from abrasion and micro-marring as you clean. The incredible formula leaves your vehicle extremely slick and glossy, like you just applied wax!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Please I urge you to read the DW threads.

This stuff is genuine.

watering-cans-smaller-size-.jpg

?????????????????????????????????????

We have tested various waterless wash systems. Ok you do need water for this way but its alot less water. Use a steam cleaner. Now the big problem is always going to be arches. This is something I need to work on myself. but basically spray some chemical guys ecosmart on panels, leave for 20-30 seconds then do straight lines with steam cleaner and follo with microfibre. Ill try sort some pics and demo out next time I do one. It does work you just need to be gentle.

Its a bit of a ball ache I know! But its the best way around it. Our steam cleaner was around £200 but you can pick good ones up for close to £50. thy are also great for cleaning engines and around doors etc so come in handy all year round.

Chris

ONR is fantastic. Everyone is skeptical at first but honestly try it.

There are loads of them around now. I use SmartWax One which has carnuba in it aswell.

Just don't use if your car has serious muck attatched to it like mud.

Pressure wash off first at the garage then use ONR. Try it ;)

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be ignoring the hosepipe ban, I've read about ONR but just can't bring myself to trust it. Don't know why, as all the evidence that it works is there, but I just prefer to use the 2BM wherever possible!

The water provider that serves my area aren't exactly renowned for fixing burst mains pipes anyway, so I won't feel too guilty about dodging the hosepipe ban :)

I'll be ignoring the hosepipe ban, I've read about ONR but just can't bring myself to trust it. Don't know why, as all the evidence that it works is there, but I just prefer to use the 2BM wherever possible!

The water provider that serves my area aren't exactly renowned for fixing burst mains pipes anyway, so I won't feel too guilty about dodging the hosepipe ban :)

Hope you havn't got c***s for neighbours