ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How accurate are average Speed Cameras

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Im hoping to land a new job next week, but the only downside is the route to the office goes through about ten miles of road with these average speedd traps on them. For some completely gay reason, this road is 50mph even though half of it is dual carriage-way!

So, given that its a 50mph limit, whats the actual speed that I should be able to get way with. 55mph will be safe, but will they be accurate enough to do me if I go at say 60 the whole way?

cheers

Rick

They can do you for even 1 mph over the limit.

They are usually set for the limit +10% and 3mph extra ie in a 30 toy can do 30 x 1.1 + 3 =36mph.

BMW 320d Sport

Just drive at 80 everywhere and slam on the brakes for the speed camera.

On a more serious note, your speedo will be out anyway and with your factory wheels on, an indicated 50mph is probably more like 47 or 48. If it wasnt people would be able to say at court that their speedo was wrong. Thats why there is a margin of plus 10% and 3mph. Technically, if youre 1mph over the limit you are speeding, but in practice this is uneforcable so they allow this margin of error.

I drive a road called the Staningly bypass and it is a really bad road with loads of crashes so they put these cameras up a few years ago. It is 60mph road and after being caught doing an average 70mph (that was me going too fast and then thinking that if I slow down for the camera it will be fine) I never go above 60mph now. My speedo reads 60 mph and my Road Angel hovers around 57-58mph but I do not want to take the chance.

They must catch so many people because I sit there doing 60mph and every man and his dog overtakes me!

My advice.....stick to the speed limit and dont find out how accurate they are the bad way.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Good advice Moose. I was driving along the road with these cameras on today in a convoy at around 50-55 and some loon overtook us all. The main problme with this stretch is that because some of its dualled theres the temptation there for the needle to just creep up to 60. You end driving along staring at the speedo, which isnt good...

Clarkson mentioned the stretch of road near me last week on TG. The A43 from Northampton to Kettering. Its a dually but its 50mph all the way from the A45 past Northampton.

182, GTR, C63

drive at 50 on that road then once passed drive at 130 or so to make up for lost time.

I didnt give you this tip ya hear

I know someone that on the same day bragged he had never been done for speeding went on to get done at 64 in a 60 and 74 in a 70.

6 points in one afternoons drive.