ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How best to increase 182 performance??

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
IMO i would only ever use AWT.

www.angel-works.co.uk bens number is on the site!

call both and make up your mind. Ben is building my 450hp SC 172 engine at the moment along with a 250 (est) NA 172 engine and i am more than happy! Luke D, Big Bob and biff have just had the cam package and are more than happy.

top notch

AWT FTW!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
and dont waste your cash fitting a standalone ECU unless your gona be fitting itbs or the larger boddie, the stock ECU is a powerful unit and paul at RS tuning is doing some great work with it :)
(do a search for stoddie to see how he got on with the large single body conversion)

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio RS 182
Thanks Ben, will check Angel Works out ... 450bhp 172 sounds f*cking mental ... ;-)

Will check out your post too Mark now I am a member. Busy at work this afternoon though so doubt will be able to comment again until later tonight or tomorrow morning ..

Thanks Ben, will check Angel Works out ... 450bhp 172 sounds f*cking mental ... ;-)

Will check out your post too Mark now I am a member. Busy at work this afternoon though so doubt will be able to comment again until later tonight or tomorrow morning ..

From personal experience I'd only recommend GDI, they are quick, efficient, more experienced and have better after sales. My AWT experience was a bad one, I wont go into too much detail, but suffice to say if you search my created threads you will see. They have done some good work though, they tuned my friends Mk1 2.0 white Williams replica with ITB's, stand alone, cams etc and it was pretty good. Major problem is the time scales, simple jobs take months, big projects take longer.

This is all from personal experience, upto you who you go with, but having used both companies I'll only ever go back to GDI.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
BenP was only stating that the Std ECU is Powerful enough in the right hands, Paul at RSTuning is a master at remapping,
The guy was after advice in the 1st place and he's getting it, Different points of view are always good but don't start your usual petty fights in his thread,

IK
Exhaust
Inlets
Remap
and maybe Cam's

Choose whoever you feel confident in, Speak with Both Companies and decide for yourself

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
AWT did my inlets the same day...Only work i've had done from them.

Sure there's 2 sides to every coin, and this debate will go on indefinately but i wouldn't send my worst enemy in the direction of GDpie.

Balls in your court.

Clio RS 182
I appreciate all of the advice from people supporting AW and GDI. I will speak to both and try to make my own mind up. Its nice to have some choices anyway.
S666Mah, I read your thread and your modifications sound very interesting, its a real shame you had to put up with the negative remarks. Its the nature of forums, lots of jealous people, lots of children. I suspect both companies may offer a decent service. I live in South London so it may come down to which is closer ...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Final warning guys and i mean final.

You will all find yourselves either banned from posting on here or restricted to certain forums.

This really is the last time.

IF you don't work for GDI/AWT don't get involved.
Opinion is fine, but leave the snide remarks at home or down the pub.

If you reply directly or quote this post then its points time.

This warning is in response to previous (and now removed) posts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies to the Original Poster, carry on..

Last edited:
  C63 AMG, F430 & 172
I appreciate all of the advice from people supporting AW and GDI. I will speak to both and try to make my own mind up. Its nice to have some choices anyway.
S666Mah, I read your thread and your modifications sound very interesting, its a real shame you had to put up with the negative remarks. Its the nature of forums, lots of jealous people, lots of children. I suspect both companies may offer a decent service. I live in South London so it may come down to which is closer ...

there both about 20 mtrs from each other!

ben offers a park and ride system from kimbolton ;)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I would give yozzasport a ring, when I went to have a service and quickshift put on my car (yeah not huge mods) I was more than impressed with the service I received. I got lost so Andy came and found me so I followed him back to the workshop, I got sat down in a nice armchair and offered a cup of tea then watched him work on my car. Some of the parts needed weren't there so he got them in and whilst they were waiting for delivery he showed me around the workshop which was filled with race cars (and a lovely black V6). I cant rate their parts as I haven't used them but the service was 10/10 imho.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Why have you sold it? ;)

Personally, im happy with my 182.

Its had a few modifications to the brakes, exhaust and a panel.
i find that its more than capable of meeting my needs.

2002 172
whats wrong with bike carbs? they are proven to work. also for your information new bikes are on throttle bodies and they are much more to be honest. i reckon with the right people doing it you could do it for little over £500

Never said they wouldnt work, but what you save in fitting costs, you'll spend in fuel and maintenance

spend in fuel? do you think itbs will be any better on fuel lol?

i think bike carbs/itbs will work just as well as each other depending what you want?

megan R26.R number 006
there are only four companies i would let touch my engine hill power / awt / k-tec and yozzasport i have had a bad experience with one tuning company i am not going down the rut of slagging them off or naming and shaming them all i know is if you call hill power and yozzasport they will give you good solid advice wont tell you a load of crap and are very help full i have spent a few hours around at yozzasport chatting to Andrew about some mods he has had some of his customers bring there cars around with the different kits on them for me to try and is looking into some custom bits from a well know company not like there m8 bill from down the road that says he knows how to make a kit but cant .

Last edited:
  Saab 93 Aero Wagon
James, i hope this thread has provided you with some options.

If i were in your shoes i'd call around the mentioned companies and get a feel for what you want to do.
I haven't dealt with any of them personally. There are endless stories, supporters of each and haters of each.
For me, if i was looking forward serious power upgrades, i'd not hesitate to use Angelworks or Yozzasport.
IMO they are the ones to seriously consider. I wish you luck and keep us posted with your progress!

M

mini-valver

I too would use Angelworks as I am doing at the minute. Possibly the only person I've ever spoken to that truly knows what an engine wants, not his wallet.

Never said they wouldnt work, but what you save in fitting costs, you'll spend in fuel and maintenance

i think bike carbs/itbs will work just as well as each other depending what you want?

Carbs will make the engine less economical under normal driving where as ITB will remain the same under normal driving.

you failed to comment on the maintenance cost of carbs, the need to have them adjusted and re-setup etc

2002 172

Carbs will make the engine less economical under normal driving where as ITB will remain the same under normal driving.

you failed to comment on the maintenance cost of carbs, the need to have them adjusted and re-setup etc

for the cost of bike carbs you may as well buy the throttle bodies as theres pence difference in them. im in the process of buying my r1 throttle bodies with the injectors. maybe i should have said bike throttle bodies from the start.

theres only one thing puzzling me about tb's, can the ecu be remapped for it or am i going to need omex?

Paul at RS tuning would be best bet to ask, but I dont see why you cant get them running on stock ECU... I just dont think it will be very drivable or make the power

Im new to Clio tuning, hope to get one though. What turned me on to it was an old article in FC mag. That GDI firm did a conversion on a 172 Cup, got big gains on bhp/torque. Heart of the tuning was Catcams 5502421 and Omex.

Phoned up Catcams and the guy there verified that the standard ecu just cant handle hot cams that will provide worthwhile cost effective power hike.

Im new to Clio tuning, hope to get one though. What turned me on to it was an old article in FC mag. That GDI firm did a conversion on a 172 Cup, got big gains on bhp/torque. Heart of the tuning was Catcams 5502421 and Omex.

Phoned up Catcams and the guy there verified that the standard ecu just cant handle hot cams that will provide worthwhile cost effective power hike.

Wrong

Standard ECU can handle Cams, as I said, Paul at RS Tuning is working on running his car on stock ECU and ITBs. Give him a call, he is one of the best when it comes to mapping Renaults

Like I said, it was an old article, BUT it was in black and white with dyno stats to prove. Has this Paul guy got the 2421's to run on boggers ecu?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

The 428's and 420's will run a stock ECU with or a without a remap.

you can't really get 421s to run a stock ECU as the overlap is too great and the car wont idle, if you have a psh1 with a manual throttle then you could to it pikey style and manually set the TB to idle at 1200 RPM, but if you have FBW then its not really possible unless Paul @ rs tuning can sort you out.

would will still need to map the ECU to make full use of any cams.

we fitted a set of GrpN CAT cams (420's) last night, with our own AWT bowl port to the head, AWT matched inlets and a AWT remap, the customer was overwhelmed! the car pulled all the way to the top, the great thing about the 420s is that there is no flat spot before 4k like you get with the 428s, they dont make as much peak, but the power and torque is there all the way through the rev range.

would will still need to map the ECU to make full use of any cams.