ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How Can You Prevent Rust On Alloys?

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
As above really.

What's the best method?
Will only a certain type of alloy rust?

My standard Dynamique's are starting to look a bit weathered, and wanted to know for my next car/set of alloys what can I do to preserve them as much as possible?

Is there a polish out there, or is it just a case of wiping them down after washing etc?

I'm guessing rain is the biggest killer perhaps?

Cheers,

Pete.

RB 182
Polish them with something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish (AG SRP) and then use some sealant such as Autoglym Extra Gloss protection (AG EGP) or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

106 GTi
As above a decent sealant, wash them often in the winter to stop the crap etching in, removing them from the car to clean the insides once or twice a year.

Avoid having clip on weights put on the outer face as they damage the paint and let water get under them. Get them balanced with stick on weights in the inside rim.

Clio 200 FF
use non acidic wheel cleaner which eats into the laquer, as mentioned above remove wheels before and after winter to clean the back (especially behind the spokes), use a spray on brake cleaner to remove stubborn residue

before refitting i always give them a coating of megs nxt