ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do 17 wheels effect the handling of a MK172

As the title says, how is the handling effected when 17" wheels are fitted (without lowering).

Im thinking of changing the wheels to make it stand out a bit more from the 1.2s with 2.0 badges on.

Though if it ruins the handling I wont bother.

Also what size tyres do you need? 205/45?

Thanks,

Stu.

youll have more grip....but whats that when it lets go in the biggest way possible!

i wouldnt go above 16" and definately no wider.
in fact, i would probably revert to 15" so i could use some decent track rubber.

Concentrate on chassis details before wheels, if your a pure driver, you wont appreciate what 17" will do for you. youll generally loose what made the 172 so much fun!

Ben-Thanks alot. I was expecting loads of posts telling me how much better it will be. Handling like its on rails and all that.

I dont link handling and grip at all, before my 172 I had a mk2 106 Rallye with 175/60 R14s on and it would keep up with a 172 through the twisties all day long.

Ill look into changing to some different 16" wheels.

What are you opinions on having a different weight wheel? Ill probably go for something from OZ and as I understand it they are pretty light. Will this have a detrimental effect on handling, as the spring/damper rates are set up for the standard wheels.

Thanks,

Stu.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Think you have things mixed up a little the MK2 come with 16" as standard so reverting back to the 15" whats that all about.

In real terms I dont think you would notive all that much difference going from 16"s to 17"s now that would be a different story on a MK1 which does come with 15"s as standard.

so the same suspension setup in the MK1 and 2? wont feel the difference between wheel sizes?

goin from 15" to 17" is the same end result that you would get if you went from 16"-17"!! abeit a bit of diff for weight allowed, but its nothing that matters!

a lighter wheel has its benefits and its not gonna screw up you damping rates or anythig like that to an extreem amount. but gettin to your top speed is gonna be harder....like a ligher flywheel to an extent. I used to race with steel wheels in the wet casue i found the balance better.

Paul, there is a reason why the cup (he ral race cars) cars use 15" wheels....and its not just for the easier sizing of rubber. a smaller harder less flexy sidewall ia not alwyas better.

My MK1 XR2 runs on 185/60/13!!!
and the walls flex like buggery, but the control and balance is so fine that itll out handle a 172 (not saying the 172 is bad as i have one, but the XR2 is just the best FWD car i have driven, bar the torque steer!!!)
if that car ran on 195/45/15s it would handle like sorry vomit!!

dont bother with 17", its only for looks.
and when you lower it to get it to the standard ride height again, your geometry is gonna be sat uncompressed as though its under a whole load of compression, now your screwing with the cars handling balance!!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Yes but your assuming that the MK2 is set up for 15". I would imagine (though I dont know for definate) that the setup for MK2 was modified to accomodate the bigger wheel (suspesion, speedo, geering etc.) so therefore going from 16" to 17" in a MK2 would be the same as going form 15" to 16" in a MK1.

I am assuming from what you have said is the the MK2 has the same setup as the MK1 with regards accomodating wheel sizes. If I read you correctly I find this very hard to belive.

The main reason that the Clio Cup sits on small wheels is that it can sit lower and thus reducing uplift. The speed difference between wheel sizes will be of lesser importance if there is any difference at all!!

Dont forget also that your tyre sidewalls contribute to the springing of your car.

So, if you assume that a lower profile tyre has a stiffer sidewall you will increasing the effective spring rate. This may not be a good thing - harder suspension does not mean more grip (just the opposite, usually).

That aside, Im with BenR - Im not convinced that bigger wheels will make a car handle better. As I understand it the trend for bigger wheels on road cars follows that of race cars, and that is primarily to accommodate bigger brakes.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I also agree with BenR that bigger wheels will make that car handle no better.

But it will handle no worse providing you dont get stupid and go for 19"s An inch increase should be fine.

"your assuming that the MK2 is set up for 15". I would imagine (though I dont know for definate) that the setup for MK2 was modified to accomodate the bigger wheel (suspesion, speedo, geering etc.) so therefore going from 16" to 17" in a MK2 would be the same as going form 15" to 16" in a MK1."

- No, i do not assume this, forget, i work for renault. the change for 16" wheels is purely marketing as its industry standard and now its 17" with the CTR and cooper S, its the max power brigades fault!! The MK1 sits ever so slightly lower than the MK2.

"I am assuming from what you have said is the the MK2 has the same setup as the MK1 with regards accomodating wheel sizes. If I read you correctly I find this very hard to belive."

-belive

"The main reason that the Clio Cup sits on small wheels is that it can sit lower and thus reducing uplift."

-uplift? do you mean CofG? the cliocup uses 15" as there is no reduction in ride height as this can be sorted easy, its a race car remeber. its just what helps the car go round corners faster, not due to outright grip but the balance and confidence for the driver makes for more. remember, its a learning class to help young drivers to step up.

"The speed difference between wheel sizes will be of lesser importance if there is any difference at all!!"

- i never said their would be.

Cheers
Ben

But then youll have to also go wider. So grip will increase (not a good thing) and it will tramline more.

Stu.

only on poor roads, on perfect tarmaccadam they would be faster, but feel would be reduced.

my race kart with 105bhp & 160mph top speed and 0-60 in 5.6secs still uses the same narrow tyres that the 100s use...otherwise balance and the whole point of a kart would go to pot. but they are a damn sight stickier!!!