ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do I remove brake dust?

koi

Audi S1
Hiya,

What product is best for removing brake dust of alloys? Don't think the last owner cleaned them cos they are caked in it!

Prefer something that Halfords or somewhere stock as can't be bothered with delivery.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 104
Wonder Wheels? I used to use that it's pretty good. However, I'm sure someone on here will have a better product.

RB 182
Wonder Wheels would probably do it but it very acidic remember.

Have you tried anything on them yet before you get suggestions?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
nnooooooo not a tooth brush, i scratched the fook out of one of my turinis doing it that way. Seriously, fairy power spray, just try it on a little patch, work in with a soft wheel brush, then wash off.....now stand back in amazment! After this i'd coat in wax, as this stops the dust baking on

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
gt_gaz said:
fairy power spray!!!! trust me

Same here for me , spray on , leave for 10 mins powerwash off , best stuff i've used .Also Aldi's own version which is only 99p a bottle opposed to about £3.50ish for fairy power spray ;)

Megane225FF
What fairy power spray doesn't remove you try a clay bar..
Waxing them after you get them clean will help next time you wash them

koi

Audi S1
Tried Wynns wheel cleaner that my bro had but didn't shift it so will give Wonder Wheels a shot

RB 182
thedoc said:
What fairy power spray doesn't remove you try a clay bar..
Waxing them after you get them clean will help next time you wash them
Spot on, a bit of sealant would be good too. Off the shelf you can get Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Autogylm Extra Gloss Protection.

106 GTi
steve740 said:
I heard that autoglym engine cleaner works. Isnt that too harsh?

benclelland said:
Only as bad as Wonder Wheels, probably better.

No where near as bad or harsh as Wonder Wheels or most wheel cleaners for that matter.

Autoglym Engine and Machine cleaner contains no acid, is safe enough to spray on your paintwork if you so desire. Would be my first choice on wheels.

dk

911 GTS Cab
fairy power spray and wonderwheels for me and i know how difficult it is to get that stuff off, you haven't had it tough until you have used PF97 and brembo package and left it without cleaning for a month!

ph1 172
Ive got full race pads in my valver (all i had at the time) with reconditioned wheels.

I have to wash them every day or two or the dust starts to eat into the paint. Oh and there is lots of dust, lots and lots.

Cant wait to get some 'normal' pads back in.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I've always sworn by Wonder Wheels. Got rid of some baked on brake dust on my lasses new Corsa.

Where can one buy this Fairy Power Spray pray tell thee? Is it like a Halfords thing or Asda?

Right then peeps.....bought some fairy power spray today. Now what is the best method to clean the wheels. I was thinking about washing the wheels normally, then spraying the power spray on the ground in parts and leaving to soak in then washing the wheel off. Is this the best way?

ph1 172
i imagine even with the power spray you'll still need to give them a rub even if its just with a sponge

ph1 172
yeah should be fine.

im washing mine tonight and then putting some pure silicone on them so i dont have to clean then every few days

Well just used the old fairy power spray on my wheels and fook me!!!!!
It works wonders!!! They look completely different. Cheers for all the info and advice tim
Steve

koi

Audi S1
Done a google search on Wonder Wheels and it seems to get good reviews.

Read a post where someone complained about it staining their clothes and got loads of freebies so thought I would give it a go...

Look what came through the post today :cool:

DSC00002.gif

al

ST on the way...
Get some Autoglym Super Resin the Extra Gloss on the wheel, makes them easier to clean.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
steve740 said:
Right then peeps.....bought some fairy power spray today. Now what is the best method to clean the wheels. I was thinking about washing the wheels normally, then spraying the power spray on the ground in parts and leaving to soak in then washing the wheel off. Is this the best way?

I just spray the fairy power spray on and leave while i get my pressure washer set up , buckets etc for washing .After about 10 mins i just pressure wash off the fairy power spray and hey presto clean wheels :)

I also use Aldis own version which they only have in their special offer sales every so often , same stuff but only 99p a bottle opposed to £3.50ish for fairy power spray .

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I've tried fairy active foam (a pound in Poundland!) and seems to work pretty well...only tried it after Fred recommended the Powerspray, so it must be as good!

Donny