ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do I test oil pressure?

SQ5
Had my oil and stop light come on twice while driving with a slight engine cut too.

Oil level is fine so its not that. Could be the sensor for the pressure or the pump?

How can I test pressure and what should it be when idleing?

you'd need to plumb a gauge in. i don't know, but assume there's a switch in the block for the warning lamp - could remove that and use a suitable union to connect a gauge. someone who knows what's what should be able to help

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Im sure its fine danny, keep it on the limiter for abit, should sort it.

SQ5
Im sure its fine danny, keep it on the limiter for abit, should sort it.

PMSL lol!

it definitely is worth testing with a gauge, but It's not uncommon for the sensor/switch to go faulty and bring the light on.

Can tou get a guage to fit the sensor by cutting into the wire (it is the single pink wire isn't it?) or do i need to do something with the block and tap into it a bring a hose off, similiar to a boost guage from an inlet?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
my old one did it, sensor was bust.

Best way to test is with a screw in gauge, most local garages will have them.

SQ5
SO if they test it and its fine it should just be the sensor thats fucked. May go pick up a second hand sensor tomorrow then and fit it just to see if it cures it for now!

Is it likely to piss out oil when I unscrew it?

BMW M135i
Not if the cars been left to stand for a while so the oils drained back into the sump, it won't "piss" out anyway bit of a trickle maybe.

SQ5
O I saw people saying around £50-60, maybe that was fitted? I might just have to goto Renault then :)

Just been out for a quick blast taking someone out and it was fine through hard gearing and up hills :D

Albi Blue RS 200
50-60 sounds like the price of it fitted. However I did mine myself and it only cost me 15 quid.