ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do you change rear discs ?

Does anyone know if theres a guide anywhere on how to replace the rear discs on a 172FF ?

As i could do with changing mine but unsure how to go about it with them having rear bearings built in :(

Any help would be appreciated as i have heard if you overtighten some nut that the wheel bearing can melt and wheel(s) can lock up :(

Lots of Alfas
I think there was a guide on fubars website but thats been offline for a while now. In a nutshell:
Jack up rear, stick it on stands with wheels off
Pop the centre caps off the discs with a screwdriver
Remove caliper with 2 bolts and pads
Crack the hub nut off with a 30mm (youll need a breaker bar and may need to put the wheels back on with the wheel centre caps taken out and car lowered).
Slide the disc off the hub (may need wacking with a rubber hammer) making sure you dont loose the thrust washer
Slide the new disc on with washer the right way round.
Renault recommend to stick a new hub nut on tighten to 175NM
Pop the caliper with pads back on.
Pop the cap on with wheels and lower.

dead easy, pop cap off the centre of the disc, undo the 30mm hub nut and remove the nut and depending on version of nut the washer may be built in or a seperate washer.

Undo the 2 17mm bolts on the caliper carrier, lift the carrier complete with pads off the disc (take handbrake off btw)

then disc will slide off the stub, or it should.

For some reason 3 172's I have done rear discs on the offside has always been seized on, so either use a puller or its hammer time.

Screw the caliper piston back in whilst theres no disc there, make sure the slots in it are in the right position

new disc on and tighten nut and pop cap back on

remove the old pads from the carrier, clean the carrier up and fit the new pads in it.

put the carrier back on and tighten up the 2 17mm bolts.

slide the piston pad back to the piston and then press the brake pedal* until its in contact with the disc, job done, repeat for other side

Easy job, do both side in less than an hour if theres no issues

*the cups, cable tie the bias valve closed so the full output goes to the calipers to get the piston out quicker.

For some reason renault decided to fit flexes on the pipes to the calipers, I have seen several which have collapsed internally meaning no braking effort to the caliper, I replace with copper pipe. Basically copyign the older clios, 19 and megane setups.