ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do you close an MK2 bonnet? "The Renault way"

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
Is there like a special method?

Just curious what methods dealers are supposed to demonstrate to users with this letter.

I just drop it from about two feet.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Same here drop it, as if you push it shut then you run the risk is denting it.

I wouldnt push shut any car bonnet tbh even the Aston bonnets used to get dropped shut.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
But when you drop it aren't you relying on the bonnet latch moving back into place? Isn't this the whole reason this recall is happening?

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
Pretty much every car is drop shut unless it has gas struts. There is no other way!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
But when you drop it aren't you relying on the bonnet latch moving back into place? Isn't this the whole reason this recall is happening?

When i took mine back to Renault they said that the catch on the bonnet was rusting (mine was ok) and if the bonnet where to opened by accident then there was nothing to stop it opening fully.
I did not think it was because of the catch on the slam panel.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
I don't know how people can't see the bonnet has popped when driving. I notice any sort of movement from mine.

I didnt actually notice for a minute one day when the garage hadnt fully shut it and when driving down the road saw a movement at around 60 to see the bonnet wobbling so stopped and shut it straight away :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know how people can't see the bonnet has popped when driving. I notice any sort of movement from mine.

Same here. The other month, I was in rolling traffic on the M62 and passed a people-carrier where the bonnet clearly wasn't shut properly. Bibbed him and put the window down to tell him. His response? "Cheers m8" - then continued to carry on driving? :S Surely with the traffic doing about 5mph, it would have made sense to pull over and close the bonnet properly?

Needless to say when the traffic cleared, he carried on at 70mph+.

D.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
It's the pull release on the bonnet itself that causes the problem. Some of them tended to go rusty and jam. I always give mine a squirt with silicone spray just to keep it from seizing. If the car was maintained properly then it wouldn't be an issue but some people never bother to check the bonnet catch is working properly.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It's the pull release on the bonnet itself that causes the problem. Some of them tended to go rusty and jam. I always give mine a squirt with silicone spray just to keep it from seizing. If the car was maintained properly then it wouldn't be an issue but some people never bother to check the bonnet catch is working properly.

Not necessarily . I've always checked and lubricated both parts of the catch regularly yet it still was functioning correctly , hence i had it replaced FOC on Monday .

Drop it from about 18 inches , never close it gently or push it to close it or you will at some point put a small dent in your bonnet where your hand was . :approve:

RS200 & PH2 172
Mine is a little dodgy.... Just thought it was cause its a 11 year old car... Drilled and slammed on some bonnet pins yesterday just incase

Clio 182
true, but it still a design fault that Renault has failed to repair, a letter after nearly 10 years is laughable.

2012 Clio 1.2
this is a common problem on the saxo and 106 aswell as the clio, its not that the catches don't catch fully its just that they can break. a friend of mine had a saxo and the bonnet flew open, it was the actual hook that locks over the bar on the bonnet bent over time and eventualy slipped off. theres always gonna be a kinda pulling force on a bonnet whilst moving. seems to be more common at motorway speeds though

clio sport ph 1
I changed a ditsribution of a 1.4 16v once , I closed the bonnet . Then she calls me up and says my bonnet flew into my front window........
I ALWAYS feel the bonnet !