ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do you fit a 172 bumper to a mk2 phase 1!!!

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
I bought a 172 rear bumper yesterday, went to fit it today but I'm having a few probs.

1stly - getting the old one off:eek: . I removed the 4 bolts from under the boot lid, 1 in each of the arches, two on the lip on the bottom of the bumper (just behind the wheels) and the two that are sort of behind and near the top of the bumper, I've removed the number plate light and it won't come off. Do you need to remove the arch liner?

2ndly - the 172 bumper has 2 holes in each end ( the part that will be going into the arches) where my standard one only has one. Do i just need to drill a hole in the place of the original bumper so the new one will line up with it, or does it really need 2? (if it needs 2 I will need to drill these into the car)

Sorry for the dumb questions, I didn't think I'd have as much hassle as i've been having, my T30 screw driver also broker whilst undoing one of the bolts!!

Thanks

GLyn

Monaco Blue Mk2
Not taken mine off but when I changed my reat lights I seem to remeber thinking they'd have to come out to remove the bumper. Have you done this? As far as I know you do have to drill a couple of holes for fitting the Ph2 bumper.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Thanks mate. It seemed quite lose until you tried pulling nr the rear light, although when i felt my hand inside the top of the arch I felt a bolt there, i couldn't get to it unless the arch liner was removed - I'd guess the wheel needs to be off to do it.

I didn't remove the rear lights, although when i fitted ,my lexus rears, i don't remember a bolt to the bumper.

I'll take a look tomorrow though, thanks Blue4Ever - Anyone else any ideas?

Nike Lunar Elite's
Sounds like you've got all the screws out, but there are 2 lips (one each side) that hold the bumper in place so you may have to push the bumper down before pulling it. Neither of the holes under the boot lid will line up so you will 'have' to drill some mounting points there once it's all lined up.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Cool, thanks for that i'll have another go soon. It felt like it could have been something like that was holdiing it in place. If I get stuck i'll see if my mechanic fancies it!!

It's a Ph1 172 bumper so drilling holes might not be required however my car does appear to be an anomaly with things like this!

It took me a while to remove it Glyn, had to get right under the car to remove bolts under and around the rear light cluster.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Cheers buddy,

I got under the car and found 4 that needed removing. Got to admit it was bloody boiling and I couldn't be vothered with it today.

Must say your car looked quality as did Nicky's Trophy. It was good to meet ya!

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
yeah it should!!! he he. Have to have another go soon. Bought new screwdrivers and need to test them out now!!