ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How does the Rev Counter work

TT 225

Mine is broken. Well, it never goes over 3k. I have had to dash out and messed with the dials, they move very freely. The car itself is fine, running it on a rolling road gives correct rev readings... so just wondered where the counter gets its reading from?

Anyone?

Thanks

German Barge

hmm i have a similar problem with my rev counter, only mine is very jolty, and will go up slightly if i rev it high. And it gets stuck!

Kelly.

Think the needle maybe nakered, they are easy to replace tho. just need to remove one from another pannel - scrappy?

As to how it works - i think they are wired onto a clip on the ignition coil, near where the HT leads are located.

takes a signal from the coil for each time a cylinder is fired... divide that by 4 and you have your revs.... not sure exactly how a newer coil will work but on a older system it will take the signal from the dizzy which fires the coil - not from the actual HT leads mind!

Irrelevent to you but if you buy a aftermarket rev counter it will usually give you the choice via a switch for the number of cylinders... its a s simple as that.

Def your dials buggered. if it wasnt moving at all then Id be looking at the wiring etc but as it moves slightyly it would point to a prob with the dial itself.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

sounds like your dials are faulty.rpm info comes from the coil module whitch is either bolted to the bulkhead or n/s inner wing.