ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how hard is it to...

Is it very hard to colour code side strips and bumpers??, could i do it if i picked up some primer and coorect paint, and i figured out how to get the front bumper off!!

thanks guys

probably would look poo, laquer would peel, knacker up. unless u had it done properly from a spray shop

I resprayed a boot pearlescent red and laquered it, simply by using halfords spray cans!

My advice is get it done properly,

I did a really good job, took ages, but about 4 months later it started peeling! So i went to the spray shop, he did it for cheaper than what i spent on halfords spray cans!!

gutted

sorry stevo, dont quite understand what you mean, on my car they are unpainted plastic.

Also nicorme - can you buy then, if so how much are they??

ive sprayed alot on my car including the bonnet mirrors and front bumper and front grille area. as long as you do it correcly theres no reason for it to peel.

you need to make sure that you apply everything evenly and in thin coats and build it up i did at least 13 passes on each coats of primmer colour and lacqure. you need to make sure every thing (plastic surfaces especially) are clean i used cellulose thinners on the plastice to make it clean and tacky for the primmer to key to it. i also used plastic primmer, 11 thin coats and the last two are quite heavy then you use wet and dry and we tit and pass it over to make sure the sure face is 100% flat and smooth, the start on the colour same agin thin then thick. then the lacqure same again i left everything in the sun to dry/bake and its hard as a whores heart. but you must make sure every coats it 100% dry b4 applying the next or else the mousture will rise out and thats what causing it to peal in the future, but mines still smooth and shinney as hell and all in one peice and even stone chips dont chip it. :D

well i hope that helps.

ive a few questions about the above post;

what is tacky(is that like keying the surface to help the primer stick?) and what is wet and dry?

"and we tit and pass it over" what does this mean

thanks

well you know when you do it when u use thinners ont he plastic it removes all the crap off it, and stops it being smooth and slippy so when you pass you hand over it youll be getting the origonal plastic and it will fell sticky in a way that it wont be as smooth as it was b4., eh... its hard to explain, basically it takes of any grease that may be on it and takes it back tot he plastic.

wet and dry sand paper i used the very very fine stuff so it gets all the surface 100% smooth.

and the tit and pass it over i aint got a clue myself... im guessing it was meant to be and we pass it over. dont know what i was thinking of hen i was typing that.....;) hope this helps

no idea m8 my body shop up heres really cheap, 120 for a full respray in perl flip. so i cant comment on price. but its not hard as long as you can either get it off to work in a garage or even drive the car in a place with no wind

and its easy.

preperations the key though

ive got all the stuff i need, got a large enough garage to work into do it, i see how it goes on the fiesta this w/e then decide on my clio.

thanks guys

Ps is it pos to get the 172s side strips? as they are allready painted, or will that be more??