ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How is the front suspension actually held on?

Hi all,

I have just fitted some of those front strut spacers to see what difference it might make to the front end knock - I think its probably something else but just wanted to remove the front struts from the issue.

Anyway, I was wondering about this when trying to find a front strut brace for the car, all of the other cars I have ever had have 3-4 bolts holding the top of the strut to the bodywork/strut towers. On the clio this doesn't seem to be the case as it seems to just have the top of the suspension rest in the strut tower.

The top rubber mushroom doesn't seem to actually serve a purpose as it doesn't actually contact or hold the suspension at the top - I am guessing this would be just something that would stop the whole suspension dropping out from the top if you were to go over a bump etc.

I don't actually see how the washer that has now been fitted actually helps with the suspension as all it does it just moves the top mushroom up a couple of mm.

Can someone confirm that the clio front suspension is actually held in with the weight of the car top end and there isn't meant to be anything attaching the strut to the car? Its a really odd design not to actually bolt the front strut to the suspension tower!

Many thanks

The front shocks are held in by the top mount and top nut?
Very common design. There's a big rubber bush at the top of the shock with a penny bearing underneath.

This sits up against the bottom of the shock tower and the the large but and plate bolt to the shock from the inside if the engine bay.

The only front strut braces worth fitting are the pms or ktec ones, these locate to the top of a re designed top mount.

The omp brace isn't worth fitting. Doesn't actually do any thing.

Thanks for your input, although I am still slightly confused how its all held together, are you saying that there is a plate (guessing welded) underneath the strut tower? Eg it would go:

Strut > Rubber bushing > Plate attached to underside of strut tower > top rubber mushroom in free air

The rubber mushroom fitted to the top of the whole assembly isn't actually doing anything from what I can gather, its just sitting there in free space not actually in contact with any of the bodywork or strut tower - is this correct?

Jack it up. It's blindingly obvious.

I have done today to check the brakes etc, the suspension shock dropped down so that it was resting on the top mushroom, when the car is back on the ground the top mushroom isn't in contact with the bodywork meaning that the strut is held in simply by the weight of the car - thought there might have been something that secures it from above inside the engine bay above the strut tower that's all.

Mk3 clio 1.5
the top rubber mount is the bolt, once the strut is popped through the whole in the engine bay, you then screw the rubber mount on, you saying yours has slipped through? or it just not been done right in the first place lol

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Nope. Basic as it comes. Some people actually raise the top up more with a washer as it catches on full lock and makes an annoying chirpy squeak on some cars. It's unlikely the car with ever not be in contact with the ground long enough for it to be a problem.