ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How low do you let your oil get

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

In my valver i normaly let it drop to about half way to just above on the gauge before topping it up.

Mine seems to lack power for some reason when it gets half way but it still above min on the dip stick.

Whys that?

I dont let my valver go below 2/3rds on the gauge normally.

Always keep it close to max, helps with the oil temps.....

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Mine uses a litre every 3k or so.

Does anyone elses car seem to run sh*te when it low though?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I normally top it up so its atleast half way up the marker on the dipstick, but a few months back the oil light came on.. ooops..filled it up straight away though.

172 GTR

I agree, I thought the oil was suposed to be at the top mark. Thats where it is after a service or when collecting a new one?

Titanium 182

look at it like this

less oil less resitance on the crank

any one want to go a little faster? run it dry ;)

when i had my valver, it didnt use alot of oil by valver terms but i used to keep it just above half way

the dipstick is just a guideline for when its getting low or is on max so just under is good

I would always keep my old topped up to max, and also change it every 3 months, not that i have noticed using any oil. Good regular oil changes and respect for what your engine uses it for is an easy way to increase engine life.

When cornering the oil in the sump is under the same forces as you are in your seat. Bearing this in mind and the position and length of the pick up pipe in the crank case, you can imagine that on occasion the pump may starve of oil, causing damage, despite the baffles.

As already noted more oil means the overall oil temp will be lower than the same engine with less oil.

Do yourselves a favour and keep it clean!! especially if you give it some stick, if not then remember the italian tune up!