ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How many miles from a full Tank (172)

The Bus and MRT

Sorry to start another fuel thread but I really need to know if my cars burning too much fuel.. Ive seen plenty of threads saying how many mpg their car does but mine normally reads around 35mpg and Im sure its a blatant lie, so I thought Id ask how many miles everyone gets from a full tank?

Im driving a 172 and just use optimax (with a full tank costing nearly £40)... although it says Im averaging about 35mpg I only get 250miles out of a tank, is that about normal? Seems a little thirsty to me... wouldnt mind knowing if Im dripping fuel everywhere:confused:

Cheers

It depends how you drive to be honest, Ive been doing around 250 miles to a tank but then I dont run it to the fuel light comes on. Bear in mind my average MPG is around 35 and determined by a heavy right foot ;)

I do a bit of motorway, A road and urban driving.
When I used to live and work in the city, my mpg was much worse.

The Bus and MRT

ok cheers... looks like Im about right then, also got a bit of a heavy right foot... as for motorway driving I noticed that the mpg drop a lot when doing 90+ or whenever the revs are constanly over the 4k mark.

The reason Im asking though was because Im hopefully getting a job that incolves a lot of travelling, but it only gives 12p per mile for fuel and at the moment Im around the 14p per mile so Ill be loosing out. Guess Ill have to change my driving style a bit :cry:

Ive tried a different style of driving, short shifting, keeping around 70 on the motorway etc, but Ive always gone back to the darkside lol

The Bus and MRT

yep, its just too tempting to rev it up over 7000 when theres a clear stretch of road lol

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer

ive get over 300 miles and thats with allsorts of driving ;)

2005 Impreza WRX STI

never had over 300 i dont think. most of the time i get 35 mpg but i never run it right down. id prob get 300 from full to empty. ish lol

Golf R/Leon FR

yeah i get about or just under the 300 mark from a full tamk but that also depends on how i drive it and where, town or motorway

The Bus and MRT

hmmm.. maybe there is something wrong with my car then. It says Im doing 35ish mpg but Ive never got over 270 out of a tank, granted I put my foot down a fair bit, but its still a bit below average by the looks of it.

Any ideas what the problem could be? My 172s done nearly 85,000... would an old fuel filter cause poor fuel consuption? The only thing Ive noticed is wrong with the car is that the revs are a bit irratic when Idling and makes the car wobble a bit(crap description I know but its a bit hard to describe)...

clio 182 black /gold

I have done 600 miles since tuesday and i have used just over 1 and a half tanks of fuel.

hmmm i need a 172 then,

i dont have that much of a heavy right foot, cruise at 80mph on the motorway and i get about 300-350 miles out of a £38 fill up in a 1.2 16v.

172 cup'd extreme

i get better consumption with the 172 engine than i did with my 1.2 16v engine as i was always ragging it to get anywhere