ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much for 55 plate trophy CAT D - quick answer needed !!!!

Ad

MK2 FRS
it's illegal to conceal a car's history when it's been written off isn't it?

yes, but it all centres around whether it is a write off or repaired, and that only takes the insurance companies willingness to repair a car, not a consistant level of damage.

182 FF
I suppose it all depends if you know what your lookin for, if you can get a low milage CAT D and plan on keeping it for a substantial amount of time it could work out better in the long run, and lose less money over time. People ay its mad to buy a cheaper 'damaged' car, I think its mad people buy brand new show room cars and lose a fortune the minute they drive off in it:S

Maz

LY 200
Remember this........http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=174361&highlight=inferno+cup

The guy was gutted, it's since been for sale again.

So it's a 54 plate with 3 - ? owners!!!!!!!!!

So much for CAT D.

I personally wouldn't bother viewing a car with a 'hidden' history.

I seen that for sale on Pistonheads . .didn't he tell her it was CAT D when he sold her it ?? didn't see it on the for sale thread on piston heads either .. don't you have to tell people if a car has a category ?? :S confuses the hell out of me all this stuff I would be gutted if I bought a car and then found out it had been accident repaired especially if I had paid over the odds but if I had got it for a belting price knowing it was cat whatever I wouldn't be fussed at least I knew

Personally, I wouldn't touch it, Strike smashed it and he's saying stay away, I understand the fact that a car can be repaired to a higher standard than it left the factory, but if it's had an impact, a lot of energy has been absorbed by the chassis and bodyshell, it will have flaws and deformations that can't be detected visually, for an initial saving of a couple of grand, I don't think it's worth it, it will sell for a couple of grand less too remember.

It's nothing to do with us Trophy owners not liking the idea of a cheap Trophy, if you visited the site you would know that, we're generally a very friendly bunch who offer mostly informed opinions with limited talk of 'I'm a Celebrity', a true enthusiast's forum. We don't want someone to have the Trophy effect diminished by buying a wreck.

172 Cup
Remember this........http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=174361&highlight=inferno+cup

The guy was gutted, it's since been for sale again.

So it's a 54 plate with 3 - ? owners!!!!!!!!!

So much for CAT D.

I personally wouldn't bother viewing a car with a 'hidden' history.

I seen that for sale on Pistonheads . .didn't he tell her it was CAT D when he sold her it ?? didn't see it on the for sale thread on piston heads either .. don't you have to tell people if a car has a category ?? :S confuses the hell out of me all this stuff I would be gutted if I bought a car and then found out it had been accident repaired especially if I had paid over the odds but if I had got it for a belting price knowing it was cat whatever I wouldn't be fussed at least I knew

Its now my g/fs car
She put it on piston heads a few weeks back ( she was hoping for 7.5 yea rite, and it was clear it was Cat d)

She wants to wait untill after Xmas now untill she sells it on, when she wants to i'll put it up here, i dont expect anything over 5.5k for it really.. we arw not the type to mislead when selling a car, i wouldnt let anyone drive it off untill its looked at in clear daylight

She knew fully well it was cat d when she got it from Richard, we are just looking to buy a house soon so looking to sell it on (love mine to much:rasp: )

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
plus 5% of Trophy owners are emergency service personnel (mainly police), and at least another 2% that I'm aware of are Engineers or are used to techincal speak due to being Racing drivers.

So, although there are a few who spurt poo some do actually speak from experience!....

You pays your money you takes your chance....

Personally, I wouldn't touch it, Strike smashed it and he's saying stay away, I understand the fact that a car can be repaired to a higher standard than it left the factory, but if it's had an impact, a lot of energy has been absorbed by the chassis and bodyshell, it will have flaws and deformations that can't be detected visually, for an initial saving of a couple of grand, I don't think it's worth it, it will sell for a couple of grand less too remember.

It's nothing to do with us Trophy owners not liking the idea of a cheap Trophy, if you visited the site you would know that, we're generally a very friendly bunch who offer mostly informed opinions with limited talk of 'I'm a Celebrity', a true enthusiast's forum. We don't want someone to have the Trophy effect diminished by buying a wreck.

That was a joke btw ;)

I can see valid points on both sides of the argument. But I don't see how anyone can make sweeping statements about not touching any Cat D/C cars as each are individual cases. Alot depending on the attitude of the insurer

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274

That was a joke btw ;)

I can see valid points on both sides of the argument. But I don't see how anyone can make sweeping statements about not touching any Cat D/C cars as each are individual cases. Alot depending on the attitude of the insurer

I agree - but that's stops general comments, generally I would stay clear but obviously there's exceptions to the rules.

Ad

MK2 FRS

you need to extract your head from your own arse.... its a clio at the end of the day..... the "trophy effect" and the "limited talk of Im a celebrity" laughable.

btw, i have visited the site and also driven a trophy quite extensively.

Maz

LY 200
^^ pmsl at extract your head from your own arse

Its now my g/fs car
She put it on piston heads a few weeks back ( she was hoping for 7.5 yea rite, and it was clear it was Cat d)

She wants to wait untill after Xmas now untill she sells it on, when she wants to i'll put it up here, i dont expect anything over 5.5k for it really.. we arw not the type to mislead when selling a car, i wouldnt let anyone drive it off untill its looked at in clear daylight

She knew fully well it was cat d when she got it from Richard, we are just looking to buy a house soon so looking to sell it on (love mine to much:rasp: )

Cheers for clearing it up I couldn't for the life of me work out what had gone on with the car and didn't see the CAT D listing on the piston heads add I just noticed it was up for sale again for a higer price so apols

Are the seats still in the car ?? if your planning on selling after christmas for £5.5k I might be interested pending full details as mine has provisionally sold and I am currently looking for a track car and daily drive but struggling at the moment :S lol

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
you need to extract your head from your own arse.... its a clio at the end of the day..... the "trophy effect" and the "limited talk of Im a celebrity" laughable.

btw, i have visited the site and also driven a trophy quite extensively.

Same can be said of any car...... a Zonda is only a car at the end of the day.

cock mobile.

Its now my g/fs car

I tried to contact Richard about buying that car, I would have had it for 6k with the Recaros despite it being Cat D.

Ad

MK2 FRS
At 6k it would be good VFM, with limited depreciation.
That was a joke btw ;)

I agree - but that's stops general comments, generally I would stay clear but obviously there's exceptions to the rules.

its the same when purchasing cars in general a bit of care is need.... What the CatD thing does do, is allow you to get into car that you may not otherwise have been able to afford, and the majority of people are none the wiser.

172 Cup
^^ pmsl at extract your head from your own arse

Its now my g/fs car

Cheers for clearing it up I couldn't for the life of me work out what had gone on with the car and didn't see the CAT D listing on the piston heads add I just noticed it was up for sale again for a higer price so apols

Are the seats still in the car ?? if your planning on selling after christmas for £5.5k I might be interested pending full details as mine has provisionally sold and I am currently looking for a track car and daily drive but struggling at the moment :S lol

Thats fine happy to clear it up:) dont want to miss sell anyone!
Sorry ive sold the Recaros to Richard (of all people) its just the normal 182 cup seats now tho
Ive got all the details and info etc, any questions please ask:)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Ok lets say you buy your CAT C/D car, for 'good' price.

Insure it, later in the year you are involved in either accident or have it stolen & it's written off again.

Will the insurance company pay out 'again' for a car that in there eyes & information has been written off???????????????????????????

So from there point of view should not be back on the road.

Surely they won't pay out twice for the same car??????????

Ad

MK2 FRS

Insure it, later in the year you are involved in either accident or have it stolen & it's written off again.

Will the insurance company pay out 'again' for a car that in there eyes & information has been written off???????????????????????????

Yes the insurance company will pay out for it, but for the value of the cars worth (market), repairables benefit the insurance industry as it improves the value they get for the cars they write off.

Hence the reasons for catagorisations so that only suitable cars are repaired. BTW insurance companies always check the status of cars they insure.

I had no issues insuring the VX... and for an agreed valutation.

Well if they've agreed to insure it (I assume repaired Cat C/D's are insurable?!) are'nt they obliged to pay out? Sure, they may be quite likely just to write the poor car off again! But thats part of the risk you take for a cheaper car.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
common misconception that insurers have to pay out - its their decision. They will try to find a reason to not pay - be aware of this.

common misconception that insurers have to pay out - its their decision. They will try to find a reason to not pay - be aware of this.

For real? So say your car's stolen, they can choose not to pay out? Or do you mean only in cases where the owner is deemed at fault? - eg. Crashed car on a wet roundabout

Ad

MK2 FRS

not true, they have to abide by FOS rules..... and as such a listed vehicle is not a reason for not paying out (unless its a CATB)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
If a car was 15k new and its had a 7k repair for e.g then you would probably find they would not pay out more than the car was worth or what its been repaired for.
i.e you pay 8k for a catD and they give you 3.5k if you crash it because thats all its worth to the insurer

ian

Ad

MK2 FRS
If a car was 15k new and its had a 7k repair for e.g then you would probably find they would not pay out more than the car was worth or what its been repaired for.
i.e you pay 8k for a catD and they give you 3.5k if you crash it because thats all its worth to the insurer

ian

wrong on both fronts mate... if im understanding your correct. original value only affects cars in the 1st year. after that its market value.

what I will agree is that an agreed value policy benefits people in CATD situations.

Market value is exactly what it says, if you have an expected value and feel you could prove in a market situation the cr is worth that then you wouldnt have any issue.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Only problem is there arent that many catD trophy's around so who are you going to compare it with,but i do take your points ad

ian

Ad

MK2 FRS
^ yeah agree. you may well get the rough end of the stick with that. there is a pecentagae rate they knock them down with (30% iirc, varies though), but that does help with cars which have particularly good retention even though HPi listed such as elise and VXs.

Metal becomes stronger when bent, it's called workhardening.

So the car hasn't been crashed, it's been "work-hardened"...

It's better than before now, honest.

No no no child.

What i'm saying is, some people think a fully repaired car is just going to fall apart and not be as strong as an un-repaired one.

They are in fact as strong if not stronger. Manufacturer's don't put HALF as many spot welds on a panel that a vehicle body repairer would.

People are so negative about buying cat-d/c cars when if they are repaired to a good standard are as good as a un-repaired car.

Obviously i'm not doubting the car will be worth less but as has been said, you are purchasing it for a lot less.

Personally Dave if you wanted a cat-d car i'd buy one that hasn't been repaired yet so you can see the damage on it and repair it yourself or get it repaired by a trusty company.