ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

***How much is it worth?***

RB 182 FF
To be honest if I didn't have a spare penny after purchasing a car I don't think I'd be looking at a 182... Mine was meticulously maintained when I bought it and still I've thrown £1000's at it over the years on bits and bobs...

You offered £3,300 which isn’t £800 off, it’s £500..don’t you have a budget for work needed when you buy a car? There will always be something. But there’s nothing needed on mine.
Since we spoke l have spent a further £300 on four new injectors, a new genuine HT lead set, spark plugs, new tailgate gas struts, new front LED fog lamp bulbs, O-rings, and a tracking check.

My apologies, you are quite correct re offers, I think I got the figures mixed up with a different one. I was hoping that the car wouldn’t require a lot of expenditure once owned, but sounds like they could require quite a slush fund :(

RB 182 FF
You have to remember the age of them, I've had my 182 in the family 7 years and it's never ever let us down, but they are French and cheap.... They will cost you money regardless of the previous owners care and attention... In my experience from owning a few Jap cars you'll probably be spending less on maintenence and fiddley issues compared to a 182/Renaultsport, however the Renaultsports are more lovable a d have more soul....

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah what’s been said above is true

I bought my Monaco for £475, then bought another for £450 and made one good car out of both of them. Then throw another £1000 on top of all that for parts and goodies. Start with a good base and work off of that, buying a cheap shed is the wrong way to go, cars are advertised cheap for reasons

PH2 172
But there’s nothing needed on mine.

Since we spoke l have spent a further £300 on four new injectors, a new genuine HT lead set, spark plugs, new tailgate gas struts, new front LED fog lamp bulbs, O-rings, and a tracking check.

I can`t quiet put my finger on the reason why yours has not sold other than this very bold statement " but there’s nothing needed on mine." which was part of

the gist of the original listing, but shortly disproven whilst still in your ownership.

It`s not as if there is no desire to buy, or a shortage of cash, as this one sold within 24 hours, though on paper it had less going for it.

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/sold-racing-blue-182-cup-cambelt-done.823506/

RB 182 FF
I thought a mint FullFat RB would sell easily, I don't understand why it hasn't, I'd snap it up if I was in the market for one...

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
unfortunately I haven’t a clue but the lower part of the fronts have surface rust so they must have been on for a little while. Obviously nothing wrong with functionality but cosmetically they don’t look like new. Maybe £350?

Haha it’s a Maine coon and he is 12kg!!!
12kg?!?!?!??!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Land Rover
Yes l guess there is always the chance that something will be needed on a car that’s 14 years old.
As above, l just had to spend a further £300.
I agree that the Clio 182 is not yet at the point where the best examples sell quickly as there are so many useable ones at half the money.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup

Thanks dude..

Guy selling it is a lovely gent and I was about to do the deal pre-Xmas, but unfortunately he messaged to say the airbag light had come on and he didn’t yet have the time to fully investigate the issue. If someone is more mechanically minded than myself and could sort the airbag light, then I think that car is lovely and from a genuine seller.

Thanks for the kind words... the car is still available at £2200, but is up on eBay now and i'm getting quite a lot of interest, so may not be around for much longer. I still think its easily a £2.5k+ car at any other time of the year. My old Artic Blue on 114k miles needing belts in 6 months sold for £2450 last year, in similar condition without the brake upgrades or coilovers.

I do love my RB cup, i paid £2500 for that with pretty much no history, just under £1k servicing it the following week as everything was due, then another £1k or so on mods since getting it how i wanted it (still a few bits required). You definitely pay a premium for the colour, as i reckon it would have been a £1500 car in silver say, which is actually the colour i set out to buy because i wanted a cheap 182. haha

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't be put off by money pit comments. They are what you make of them.

I bough a £1000 182 nearly a year ago. I've replaced rear calipers and cables, serviced it and since done 8k without serious issue. It has failed to start a few times on first click and has some unusual yet mild gremlins however it has never (finding wood to touch) failed to get me to work with a smile. I do intend to spend a fair bit on it this year because I like it, not because I think it will stop working if I don't.

They are cheap to run and own generally but can get expensive (like all cars) if you don't do your own work or don't have a friendly and experienced garage/friend. To put this into perspective, a set of brake pads and disks from a BMW dealer for an E46 M3 is more money than my 182 is worth - 182's are as cheap as you can get fun/cost wise.

I would personally have snapped up the 182 for £2200 above. The airbag will be the cheapest fix of all of them. I would have sold the modifications and returned the car to standard(ish) and probably made £4-800 back.

Failing that I would find the extra money, or do some bartering and buy Landymans car. Its super nice from the looks of it and sounds to have been maintained regardless of cost. Your both £300 apart surely you can both fix that?

I wouldn't be put off by money pit comments. They are what you make of them.

I bough a £1000 182 nearly a year ago. I've replaced rear calipers and cables, serviced it and since done 8k without serious issue. It has failed to start a few times on first click and has some unusual yet mild gremlins however it has never (finding wood to touch) failed to get me to work with a smile. I do intend to spend a fair bit on it this year because I like it, not because I think it will stop working if I don't.

They are cheap to run and own generally but can get expensive (like all cars) if you don't do your own work or don't have a friendly and experienced garage/friend. To put this into perspective, a set of brake pads and disks from a BMW dealer for an E46 M3 is more money than my 182 is worth - 182's are as cheap as you can get fun/cost wise.

I would personally have snapped up the 182 for £2200 above. The airbag will be the cheapest fix of all of them. I would have sold the modifications and returned the car to standard(ish) and probably made £4-800 back.

Failing that I would find the extra money, or do some bartering and buy Landymans car. Its super nice from the looks of it and sounds to have been maintained regardless of cost. Your both £300 apart surely you can both fix that?

That is a very useful post, thank you for taking the time to do this :)

To be honest with the economy heading the way it is I'm relaxed about not buying anything at the moment as the market seems to be heading downwards across all cars.

However I may circle back on the black one above and then keep a sizeable slush fund to fix anything that crops up.

I'd love to buy landys - if it was 3k I think that would be a good and fair price for a sale for both seller and buyer in the current rubbish market - but appreciate that would mean a £800 reduction of the sale price.

It all comes down to invidiual perception, years ago I had a car and spent a fortune on maintenance - clutch, brake discs and pads, more than recommended servicing, new suspension bits just to freshen the ride up even though they were not really needed - however when I came to sell it the maintenance enabled me to sell it quickly, but not at any kind of major price premium to other examples which were far less well maintained. Often you cannot get back anything like what you have put into a car, but that's life I guess.

I'm rubbish at negotiating, maybe I should let you guys do it for me - your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get me the RB car for £3k.

Only kidding on the last paragraph and I will finish by saying whether the black one or landys one - both guys have been real gents and are a credit to your community. Price aside, I would trust them enough to pay for the car before seeing it as they are genuine sellers - that is a rare commodity in this day and age!!!

Save up more money, borrow it or whatever & get looking when you've got a healthier budget so you get the pick of the bunch. Or spend less and buy one that's not as good. Making an offer without seeing something (unless you're a trader) is w**k.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Big thing is wether you can do the work that's needed yourself, of know of people who can help out.

Hope you find something, they are great value cars.

Save up more money, borrow it or whatever & get looking when you've got a healthier budget so you get the pick of the bunch. Or spend less and buy one that's not as good. Making an offer without seeing something (unless you're a trader) is w**k.

I've always agreed a price before travelling hundreds of miles to see a car and never had an issue before and once there I don't try to renegotiate, I just pay what was agreed (unless the car has been sprayed white and they have failed to tell me this).

Perhaps in this day and age people are less gentlemanly and hence your thoughts.

Also just to be clear, I offer what I believe is a fair price for are a car and based on a pre-set budget that I work to - this isn't an indication of whether I can afford to pay more or not. The overdraft comment i made was related to the fact that I have an interest free facility.

RB 182 FF
No ones said they're a money pit @Touring_Rob .... They are French and cheap and they do need money spending regardless of how amazing anyone says their 182 has been... Renault parts are cheap and cheap for a reason, they're not great quality but no one expects them to be... I've had numerous switches, sensors and small parts fail on my 182 but it's a cheap french hot hatch!! If I was looking at a 3k car and had no contingency fund I'd be looking at Jap cars for sure...

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
No ones said they're a money pit @Touring_Rob .... They are French and cheap and they do need money spending regardless of how amazing anyone says their 182 has been... Renault parts are cheap and cheap for a reason, they're not great quality but no one expects them to be... I've had numerous switches, sensors and small parts fail on my 182 but it's a cheap french hot hatch!! If I was looking at a 3k car and had no contingency fund I'd be looking at Jap cars for sure...

@RandomGuy said " but sounds like they could require quite a slush fund :( " I just wanted to assure him that this was not the case.

Any car you buy will need money spending at some point. In a year (nearly) of ownership it has needed no more money spending on it than our Civic needed. The Civic needed less doing to it but the parts were substantially more expensive. By contrast my M3 needs lots doing to it (all the bloody time) and the parts pricing is ludicrous. I think you may have taken what I was saying in the wrong way - Just wanted to make the point that its not all doom and gloom buying an old French hot hatch compared with an old German hot saloon which most would expect to be more reliable etc.

I mentioned that mine has been pretty reliable and very fun, purely because I bought one at the bottom of the market. The two cars in question above are both substantially better than mine is (as it currently stands) spec and condition wise.

A slush fund of £1000 would be sensible for the 182, you could replace pretty much any part of the car for that. The engines are solid little things, the gearboxes are not, electrics seem to be a bit hit and miss. Many of the smaller issues mine has are due to weird electrical gremlins. I cannot think of a single issue which could not be fixed for under a grand in one of these. While every issue on an M3 (or similar) seems to be +1k.

RB 182 FF
I've never ever believed German 'reliability' nonsense... I've seen so many examples of German cars being shite.... I 100% backup that 1*2's are fantastic cars, I still love mine although my mums inherited it and I've gone Jap... The steering feel of the 1*2 is the creme de la creme of hot hatches.... ?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Also to add; I am probably more shocked than most regarding the current good reliability of mine. I bought it on a whim as a temporary car. I knew nothing about them, didn't even know the gearboxes were a weak point. I had never bought a French car before and was not into the 'scene' at all. All I knew was that I had always secretly wanted to get a drive of an RS Clio to see what they were like.

I wrongly did all the research before picking it up, but after winning it on eBay. It could have gone horribly wrong. Really happy I took the chance as its been great fun and the temporary car has become something which I don't want to sell. Great little things and would happily have one over much newer flashier offerings through choice not necessity.

Good luck with the hunt. 3K will get you something really nice and seriously don't let the airbag light put you off of the bargain £2200 car above. I really do not think the market for these has slowed or will go down. We are talking about hundreds of pounds not thousands. I would not be at all surprised if the 1*2's started to genuinely appreciate over the next few years.

Remember that as German cars become more expensive, and easy access finance vanishes it is cars like this which will be more in demand, so while the market for new cars slows the market for used cars probably picks up.

Last edited:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I've never ever believed German 'reliability' nonsense... I've seen so many examples of German cars being shite.... I 100% backup that 1*2's are fantastic cars, I still love mine although my mums inherited it and I've gone Jap... The steering feel of the 1*2 is the creme de la creme of hot hatches.... ?

No I'm with you on that. VAG seems to get this amazing reputation which is totally not earned. I've got to say that some of the lesser BMW's (don't know about Mercs) are exceptionally good. The M52 in the 328i is incredibly well built and reliable for example. I would put it up there with the 2JZ in terms of design and reliability which is above the RB. Older non M cars like the e36 are also a bargain + good quality parts are easily available and cheap, however finding an e36 without rust is getting harder by the second (literally).

RB 182 FF
My airbag/serv light was just down to wire connectors touching under my seats, once I cable tied them all under my seats to separate them its never come back on...

RB 182 FF
My friend bought an Audi SQ5 2016 plate, got it home and realised the passenger door didn't lock... Took it to audi and they said sorry its not covered under warranty as its done over 30k miles... I mean come on!!! A door lock only warranted for 30k miles..?! What a sh*t show!!! ???

RB 182 FF
@Touring_Rob I went for an extremely well maintained EP3 Type R, got it exactly a year today and its been faultless, awesome engine and gearbox but not got the soul of lovability of the 182 in my opinion... But gunning vtec around my country roads is epic!!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
@Touring_Rob I went for an extremely well maintained EP3 Type R, got it exactly a year today and its been faultless, awesome engine and gearbox but not got the soul of lovability of the 182 in my opinion... But gunning vtec around my country roads is epic!!

Ahh nice! Love an EP3, mates just bought an FN2 while he rebuilds the engine on his hawkeye STI and its great fun, sounds brilliant but doesn't drive as well the EP3 imo. We just sold the Type S which had been really reliable too, nice gearbox, steering etc but just dull compared with the CTR or the little 182. Plus baby meant she needed something with more doors :(

Think the Type R is a bit more grown up than the Clio too and has a marvelously light clutch by comparison :)

RB 182 FF
Thing is touringrob I'm 6ft3 and I've realised after having the ep3 that I just don't fit in a 182...i feel like a pickled gurhkin in a jar.... ? The ep3 is surprisingly a lot bigger...

Land Rover
My apologies, you are quite correct re offers, I think I got the figures mixed up with a different one. I was hoping that the car wouldn’t require a lot of expenditure once owned, but sounds like they could require quite a slush fund :(

The expensive jobs have all been done on mine.
But you can’t win with cars, either spend the money up front and buy a new one (like our new Up GTi) and likely spend nothing on it for a few years, or spend less and buy an older car (like my 182) and keep on top of it.
Or get both.
The 182 at £2200 looks nice and is probably as good as you’d get for the money, but l would quickly spend £1,000 on it if it were mine, which brings it close to what l’m asking for my show condition 182.
I looked at eight before l bought mine and l paid £2700 perhaps a bit too much but it was so much better than the others that l thought it was the right money at the time.

Last edited:
  Land Rover
Have a look at the photos on my advert!
I entered the car in a couple of shows last Summer and won a cup for “best modern classic” at one and a second place in category at the other show. (Beaten by a MK5 Cortina!!)

Land Rover
Have you had anyone view the RB? Being 'showroom' condition is a brave quote lol

Yes one very nice couple came but they said it was too good and they’d not want to park it anywhere.
The guy bought a cheaper one and immediately had to spend £1,000 at Birchdown

But it’s only a Clio 182, it’s not a Ferrari. I have parked it all over the place and nobody’s ever touched it.

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Just wondering what it's worth currently.

Mileage is 114k. Service History etc,

Thoughts?
9e46c48364856359b137a92be0dc9bff.jpg
ca0e420deb157f7ff79be422d6ecc2ec.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk