ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much would you pay to keep a Clio 172 running when on 162500 miles?

2004 1.5 DCi 100
I just keep all my cars going regardless.
Take my DCI for example. Owned by someone who didn't know anything about cars but thought it needed for nothing. Body work absolutely immaculate and it was a bargain at £1200. However it needed, all new ARB bushes, front discs and pads, wipers, track rod ends, cambelt, rear spring, new steering gaiter, new alternator pulley, new aux belt, massive service, tweeters replacing, oil pressure switch, boost leak fixing and a new number plate light. For £1500 I've got a car which is a million time better and will last far longer than a clio for sale at £1500
Save it. Parts are cheap :)

Same with my DCi. Got it for £1100 in August. Years MOT, full Renault history, lady owner etc. I'm up to about £800 spent getting to how I want it. Cambelt, waterpump, tyres etc. Like you, I expect to see in excess of 250k from this car so it will be maintained regardless :approve:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I just keep all my cars going regardless.

Any RS is just a money pit. Last year my 182 had £2.5k spent on it (not by me and with no labour charge, just parts) this years it's probably close to £1000. God knows what it's worth, £2k maybe but I'd never be able to replace it for that so just spend.

Problem is, when you replace a car the chances are it hasn't been owned by an enthusiast and will need loads doing that they wouldn't even notice.

Take my DCI for example. Owned by someone who didn't know anything about cars but thought it needed for nothing. Body work absolutely immaculate and it was a bargain at £1200. However it needed, all new ARB bushes, front discs and pads, wipers, track rod ends, cambelt, rear spring, new steering gaiter, new alternator pulley, new aux belt, massive service, tweeters replacing, oil pressure switch, boost leak fixing and a new number plate light. For £1500 I've got a car which is a million time better and will last far longer than a clio for sale at £1500

If I were to buy another car it would never have all that done and therefore I'd never sell and will be taking it to 250k whatever the cost. What's the worst, new engine? £500, still cheaper than buying a car of the same maintenance calibre.

Save it. Parts are cheap :)

All RS' are money pits? Thats not true.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I'll answer when I get the rebuild invoice for my engine that's currently being sorted!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Well given that the general populous of CS are tighter than a sharks arsehole at 100ft my definition of money pit to the next man (on here) is probably of a different calibre lol.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my 172 cost me £1000 to buy, ive spent £2500 on it in 6 months, previous owner probably spent £1200 on it in 6 months.

depends how picky you are and what you consider a money pit lol

its a 52 plate on 100k

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Not to mention spending 3.5k in under 2 years on parts lol.

To do that it has to be major upgrades rather than just keeping it on the road...

There are a few upgrades, flywheel, induction, yanoo, epas . Mainly it's had belts, clutch, 10 tyres in the past 18 months, gearbox rebuild, driveshafts, ALL suspension inc wishbones, discs and pads (CL and brembo) all fluids and every little noise investigated and seen to.

They aren't a money pit if you let them degrade but I like to keep mine at their optimum.

I'd say a money pit is "it's never done" there's always something next to be done

330i. E30 Touring.
Buy cheap 172.

Run on shoestring.

Break it when it dies.

That's the sensible choice.

Ploughing money into a ten year old French car is lunacy.

Buy cheap 172.

Run on shoestring.

Break it when it dies.

That's the sensible choice.

Ploughing money into a ten year old French car is lunacy.

Agree with this.
I don't see the point in me getting the timing belts done.
I could probably pick up a spare engine and have it fitted quicker and for less than the price of getting someone to do the belts and dephaser on mine lol.

Clio 172
I would pay nothing. If it costs me money it will be on its way.

i wanted a cheap run around but saw my 172 and heart ruled head as usual

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Last year I did close to 4500 to get mine ok....

Mate fitted an engine and messed up
Got another engine fitted and that was @@@@ed
Then got another one fitted by ren7oaks and new clutch and everything and I got landed a bill for 2300 :(

I love the car though :)