ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to care for your clios paintwork

the best thing for alloys is keep them clean from new, i.e dont allow brake dust to stop on them to long, this involves cleaning them 2 or more times a week depending on how much you drive, if you do this then good old car shampoo will remove all the debris

i also apply a wax to them every so often (mothers wheel polish), but most waxes are ok

Quote: Originally posted by 1fast6 on 08 February 2005

good guide Brazo ;)
Im not saying the previous guy was right in all he said but i agree that the part about acidic wheel cleaners being bad isnt actually true. The acid helps break up the solid brake dust on alloys and the companies obviously design the product with the right consistancy for a reason and test it rather than just releasing it to a dubious public audience.
Therefore do not be warey of using such products to clean your alloy wheels and save yourself some time.

p.s. Mark, since when is tyre spent tire ;)
Cheers but it wasnt just me so I may or may not have spelt tyre wrong;)

Personally I use wonder wheels etc, I know they are not recommended and I wouldnt recommend them myself but my wife curbs my wheels so often they need respraying every other week so the acidic cleaner doesnt reraly get a chance to ruin the finish!!!

3 Series xdrive

The http://www.autoglym.co.ukautoglym combination of super resin polish and extra gloss protection really works, been using them for years now. Best products on he market id say.

Easy to use

Great results

Not expensive

The Jinx

Top tip is to wax your wheels everytime you wash/clean them Try and build up several layers of wax. Makes cleaning them much easier as the dirt drops off.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

How do you guys clean the underside of the car, or do you not bother. Ive got a pressure washer but havent used it on the underside as i wasnt sure if it was safe.

you can use a pressure washer on the underside, but chances are it wont get much of the muck off, if your really keen then you need ramps and a sponge/bucket

106 GTi

Like 182blue says, only way is to really get under there. Get the car up in the aot on axle stands. Fist with the pressure washer I get the underside cleaned up the best I can. Ther rest is done by hand with sponges, polishing cloth, various brushes, engine and machine cleaner, tar remover and lots off soapy water.

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 10 February 2005

Top tip is to wax your wheels everytime you wash/clean them Try and build up several layers of wax. Makes cleaning them much easier as the dirt drops off.
Agreed I do it with Meguiars cleaner wax

Just to add my experience of acidic wheel cleaners: Id waxed my wheels with meguiars stage 3 soon after first getting them. Then about 3 months later I used an acid-based cleaner which stripped all the wax off, making the alloys an absolute bugger to clean. They got so minging that last month I decided to clean em up proper and re-wax them. I used the remaining acid-based cleaner to get all the brake dust off (including the inside of the alloys, wheels were off) and reapplied wax. And then chucked the rest of the acid-based wheel clean in the bin - I wont be using that again. Im now finding the wheels so much easier to clean (well, Ive only washed the car once since but yknow what I mean :oops:).

Also, Ive waxed the car twice since new with the 3rd stage of meguairs stage 3: once at 1-month old, then again after 7-months, and it still looks to me to have a layer of wax on it. Maybe my standards of what I expect aint as high as some of you on here, but I think waxing every week/second week is maybe a bit excessive? But, each to their own (Im not having a dig!) - I just dont have time for that personally!!!

Top guide - thanks for putting the effort into writing it. :D

Quote: Originally posted by Ally on 11 February 2005

Just to add my experience of acidic wheel cleaners: Id waxed my wheels with meguiars stage 3 soon after first getting them. Then about 3 months later I used an acid-based cleaner which stripped all the wax off, making the alloys an absolute bugger to clean. They got so minging that last month I decided to clean em up proper and re-wax them. I used the remaining acid-based cleaner to get all the brake dust off (including the inside of the alloys, wheels were off) and reapplied wax. And then chucked the rest of the acid-based wheel clean in the bin - I wont be using that again. Im now finding the wheels so much easier to clean (well, Ive only washed the car once since but yknow what I mean :oops:).

Also, Ive waxed the car twice since new with the 3rd stage of meguairs stage 3: once at 1-month old, then again after 7-months, and it still looks to me to have a layer of wax on it. Maybe my standards of what I expect aint as high as some of you on here, but I think waxing every week/second week is maybe a bit excessive? But, each to their own (Im not having a dig!) - I just dont have time for that personally!!!

Top guide - thanks for putting the effort into writing it. :D
The maximum lifespan of a caranuba wax such as stage 3 is generally 4-6 weeks. A synthetic wax such as a paint sealant could last 10-12 weeks. Washing a car will degarde a wax layer though and from my own experience 3-4 washes will remove 1 layer of wax so I would very surprised if the original wax was still on there after 6 months.

Did the dealer apply wonderbrite?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

The meguiars UK website has been updated with a few new products, look in the accessories section there is a new Hi-tech line.

i wonder if you can help my back seat has recently seen some serious back seat action with some ladies of the night im not sure what to do as there are several stains do i clean the spot which is effected or the entire bench as i wouldt like to create a senario where by i have a pacthed effect on the bench

not so important i have multiple burgers stains on my transit van this came about by driving whilst eating burgers and a well cooked BK double whopper can relaese somewhere in the region of 8ml of fat dripping during which period i part my legs whilst driving and the fat dripping lands and soaks directly into the bolster this has been on going for the last three years now and the van has a rather stale fat like smell and you can actually scrap the burger fat build up with you finger nail.

coments would be appriciated

^^^ thats mingin!

Waxes: what waxes should I be looking at for something that lasts a bit longer than 3-4 washes? I like the finish of the meguiars stage 3, but I find it a bit of a bugger to apply/remove, hence it only getting done every few months. I tend to wash the car only when it needs it - usually every 2-3 weeks on average but can be more often. Cheers.

Car deffo not wonderbrited - it was a cheapo import from motorpoint :oops:

Quote: Originally posted by Ally on 12 February 2005

^^^ thats mingin!

Waxes: what waxes should I be looking at for something that lasts a bit longer than 3-4 washes? I like the finish of the meguiars stage 3, but I find it a bit of a bugger to apply/remove, hence it only getting done every few months. I tend to wash the car only when it needs it - usually every 2-3 weeks on average but can be more often. Cheers.

Car deffo not wonderbrited - it was a cheapo import from motorpoint :oops:
I can strongly recommend NXT wax but you have to use it properly for it work. PS on older paint/lighter coloured paint you dont get as good results

Thoroughly prepare car, wash, clay, paint cleaner (most important bit)
Apply a very very thin layer all over car and leave for half an hour (keep dry)
Buff off with a meggy ultimate wipe. It will look good but now leave in the dry for 24 hours. During this time the polymers in the wax will start to cross link and the shine will actually improve - I kid you not!!
Repeat a thin layer of NXT - not essential but will give a more uniform appearance.
IMO NXT is a 2 use product, those who just slap it on will get good results, those who follow the above will get show winning results.

106 GTi

Anyone looking for a good wash mit, Just been to Halfords to get a bottle off the new Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine polish, and grabbed one of the new Halfords own 100% lambswool wash mits. Great price at 7.99, very soft and imo nicer than the megs one without the bug shifter on one side.

Halfords seem to be on the ball with all these new products and now stocking Megs.

106 GTi

Ha nice one!!!! You lucky boy. I paid no attention to the turtle bits.

Ther Autoglym Ultra Deep shine, seems more like a glaze, very mild and seems to hide mild swirls rather than remove. Apperance wise it is slightly wetter looking than the Super Resin.

Ordered it from autopia on Wednesday so expecting it very soon, I did say I woulnt on price grounds then I received a nice little cheque and then price grounds werent so important!! I will let you know how I get on, tbh not expecting much improvemt on current battery polishers for waxes/glazes etc but having done a lot of research on various other forums they seem to be the weapon of choice and I ummed and ahhhhhhed and the pound is strog against the dollar and then there was the sale and then it (trying to convince oneself!) I put all my details in but didnt press submit I had a few beers and thought what the heck and hit the button!

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

lol, well if you get bored of it let me know, i will take it off your hands :), what transformer you getting ??, and if you dont mind me asking what did it cost in the end

think im going to have to get the wife to get me one for my birthday, what extras did you buy with it, and what polich you going to use with it

Another little tip guys is after you have waxed the car gently mist the surface with water or a quick detail spray and buff off this has 3 benefits

It increases the gloss
It removes any dusting
it means you wont miss any odd smears
PS do not do this with NXT wax from meguiars

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

ok here goes...

i am just about to order some goodies from seriousperformance.co.uk and wanted any ones opinions on how good they are cos it is all a bit confusing...

WAX/POLISH

clearkote moose wax hand glaze

clearkote moose wax

it seems these two products are quite good and hopefully should help remove/prevent some swirling i have on bonnet and the occasional scratch

any other suggestions instead of these products?

CLOTHS

AG Aquatouch microfibre cloths - i was going to get a couple for applying the wax/polish and for buffing this up with.

currently dont use any wax cos ive been using diamondbrite conserver which seems to be doing a good job but from another thread i have decided to go with wax...

these microfibre cloths as good as they are ment to be. Plus putting them in the washing machine aint going to riun them is it?

I am also going to get a Meguiars wash mitt due to everyone raving about them - currently use a couple of large sponges and buckets so will be moving onto ths two bucket method.

i also am going to stick with a chamois to dry my car off with - does anyone use these plastic glider things to sweep away the excess water?? my mate had one at the weekend and i thought it did a good job - any thoughts?

CLAY

Looking at my car i do need a bit of clay action on the lower half of each wings... any suggestions?

many thanks

106 GTi

1. The Cleakote Vannila Moose will be to mild to remove most swirls. A good alternative to the Moose wax is P21s. To remove swirls try some Megs Speed Glaze.

2. Get some foam or Mf applicators to apply products rather than the cloths, Microfiber is great to remove products. Machine washed with no fabric condioner and using only liquid wash not powder soap they last years.

3. I gave up on the blade it scares me a bit, quick and easy tho. Prefer microfiber drying towels.

4. Worth claying the whole car TBH, i do the roof first and go down. Megs clay is cheap and easily got from Halfords.

[Edited by r-jay on 2/15/2005 9:54:40 PM]

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

does anyone know where to buy Zaino products in the UK, heard a lot of good things about Z1 and Z2.

chance u could send me that in a word doc, i cant copy and paste it-would b interestin to read in uni

Peter peje1873@hotmail.com

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

The reason you probably think you cant copy paste it is cause the text colour is white and you are pasting to a white page making the text invisible. Just highlight everything and change the colour

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

Brazo : what the PC like, have you had a chance to give it a good testing.

I managed to get some very cheap Meguiars Ultimate wipes from a really good ebay seller. I got 11 for £30 they were all sealed in the individual meguiars packs. They are the ones with the black border (old ones)which are supposedly softer.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72201&item=7960612375&rd=1http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72201&item=7960612375&rd=1
You may have to ask for the bulk price.
[Edited by optical on 10 March 2005 at 11:20am]

Thought I should add some pictures to this thread!

Firstly two bucket method, note the extra bucket for wheels and side skirts and deep pile wash mitt to prevent scratching.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Brazoo/Clioimprove001.jpg

Note same two buckets after use with suds removed, the wash solution is still clean and all the dirt is now in the rinse solution.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Brazoo/Clioimprove004.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Brazoo/Clioimprove004.jpg

Because the car wasnt too dirty I made up a double strenth wash solution and clayed as I washed the car to save time - after all Ive got ring lapping to get on with;)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Brazoo/Clioimprove005.jpg

Next I took my PC, porter cable dual action machine polisher and proceeded to try and improve the gloss and shine using a meguiars polishing pad and #80 speed glaze. I was pretty amazed with results. The first pic shows the pc.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Brazoo/Clioimprove013.jpg

The second pic shows my bonnet after polishing the left hand side. I masked it off and you can really see the sharp line where it has been polished, admittedly the paint was in very good condition anyway but this really shows what a pc can do!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Brazoo/Clioimprove014.jpg

And finally I topped with NXt to protect the car and assist the shine.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Brazoo/Clioimprove011.jpg

If anyone is interesetd in the pc machine polisher, they are only available by import from the states and you will need a 110/220v transformer and extension lead. They can also remove paint defects see below pictures. I thoroughly recommend them!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Brazoo/Stage1Corrola002.jpg

And after

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Brazoo/Stage2corrola005.jpg

Great pics brazo! Ive recently started using the 2 bucket method for washing the car - I couldnt believe how dirty the rinse bucket water was after washing the car. Never going back to the old way now :)