ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how to check if the gear box mounts are gone?

I recently got a little knocking noise from the passenger front side. It happens at slow speed and right after I release the clutch. I would say the engagement time.

how to check if the gear box mounts are gone? Both upper and lower one?
I tried to shake the engine (near throttle side) and seems fine. No knocking.
My wishbone are quite new and I dun think that is the problem.

But got the steering fluid changed last week and the garage guy accidently splash the fluid all over. Becos he removed the tube shape filter thing on the steering fluid reservoir and he forgot to put it back before he start up the car and make a test for letting the fluid run through all the pipes :) I wish you understand what I am talking about.

I am just afraid if the fluid would damaged the bushes, even they clean up right away, but not completely cos I still need to clean the under of the car afterward.

the PAS fluid is just auto trans fluid and shouldn't affect the mounting bushes. unless they're obviously shot (ie. split in two, etc) it's not really all that easy to decide if the engine mounts are worn. think you'd probably need to remove them and compare their stiffness with new mounts.

is yours a 1*2? there's a nut in the wheel arch that secures the upper gearbox mount spindle, which works loose and could be related.

it's on the lower end of the upper gearbox mount bolt - need to remove the NSF wheel and have a look from the wheel arch (it's not all that easy to get at)

Evo 8 MR
Chances are it will be the bush inside the rear gearbox mount that has worn but Renault don't supply just the bush, you have to buy the whole mount but for mine it was only £20 and free fitting.

the PAS fluid is just auto trans fluid and shouldn't affect the mounting bushes. unless they're obviously shot (ie. split in two, etc) it's not really all that easy to decide if the engine mounts are worn. think you'd probably need to remove them and compare their stiffness with new mounts.

is yours a 1*2? there's a nut in the wheel arch that secures the upper gearbox mount spindle, which works loose and could be related.

Mine is 172 MK2.

Yes, my garage friend said it is a common problem to have the nut (or clip) thing may get loose or something. But since my garage friend is a hidden person whom it is not easy to find him :p

BTW, do u have a pic???

Thanks again, I will have a check.

Chances are it will be the bush inside the rear gearbox mount that has worn but Renault don't supply just the bush, you have to buy the whole mount but for mine it was only £20 and free fitting.

Thank You. There are upper, lower and twisted type lower engine mount. May I know which one u talked about?

thanks a lot!

URGENT HELP! My knocking get serious day by day.

Can someone show a pic of where the lower engine mount locate?? Is it hard to change DIY? Many Thanks!

Problem Solved!!!!
I removed the battery and check the upper engine mount. The mount itself looks fine. But when I use my finger to check the bolt, it is loose!!! I screwed tight right away and test drive. Fine now. Seems the steering fluid made the bolt loose :-(

But see the pic, I can tell the mount shifted a little bit. Do I need to adjust it back??? How? Do I have to put something underneath the engine for supporting first? Pls advice.

Golf GTD Mk7
I would have thought that so long as it was tightened to 62NM it should be fine. It looks like the rubber has movered a little, but i doubt it will make any difference.

I hope it won't make any difference. But since the edge of the mount is touching the side. I want to turn left a bit.

BTW, what happen if I over-tight it??
Anyway, I got to borrow the torque wrench from friend then.

i think the holes in the mount base might be slotted for adjustment. so long as the knocking's stopped, i'd not worry about it