ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how to connect to xbox live?

hi. can't be doing with ringing anyone about this just now, so thought i'd ask on here

according to some of the official xbox stuff i've read, i can just use my computer's USB modem, but the xbox doesn't seem to be recognising the hardware. the lights are OK on the modem, but no interaction with the xbox seemingly. test facility wasn't helpful either

is there something i need to do, or do i have to buy one of these router things?

do i need to manually input an ISP address?

any help would be much appreciated - fairly useless with stuff like this

bugger. been told that i did, but was confused by the usb stuff i'd read

thanks for that

don't suppose you've any recommendations for cheap ones available on the High St?:eek:

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Cheapest option is to get one through your internet service provider

You could always try a network cable between your PC and your Xbox (When your PC is connected to the web)

Astra Twintop
Network Cable should work.

Im sure i did that originally.

Belkin routers good
Netgear also

AK

M240i
Do you have an ethernet port on your PC?

You could internet share from PC to Xbox, needs an ethernet cable tho.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdYaTNjqjCI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdYaTNjqjCI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

cheers for those. the console came with what's described as an ethernet cable, but i can't really use it as the machines are in different rooms

think i'll have to get my bro to come round and do me a favour for once. will look into the suggestions; thanks

57 Clio Campus Sport
Xbox wireless adapter if you don't mind spending a bit, no real need for new version unless your planning to stream loads, can probably pick old one up quite cheap now. By far the easiest method though

You should be able to ethernet straight into a modem, but you'd almost certainly have to power cycle it to get it to hook up with the xbox's Mac address. Or, you might be able to 'clone' your PC's mac address in the xbox. I used to do this with my original xbox. Now, I use a router for everything. PC's, MBP, PS3 & x360.

there's just a phone lead and USB connection on the modem

tbh, it's just a mess of wires to me, all with different ends:eek:

don't want to spend much more than i need do to get it running. that official xbox router looks as though it has a USB socket on it - presumably it just plugs into either the xbox/PC and sends some sort of magical signal? clearly, i know nothing

Shame. USB internet sucks in my experience. Speeds are dictated by system resources, and drivers are involved. Ethernet FTW every time.

I'd be looking at replacing it with a modem/router that does wi-fi and ethernet. It's worth the investment.

would i have to buy a new modem and some sort of xbox dongle to do that?

going to have to get the whizzkid round for this i think

cheers for the advices

If you want to use the x360 over wi-fi, then yes, you'd have to buy the dongle, as it doesn't have a wireless adaptor built in. You can wire it via ethernet, though.

AK

M240i
would i have to buy a new modem and some sort of xbox dongle to do that?

going to have to get the whizzkid round for this i think

cheers for the advices

If you want to use the x360 over wi-fi, then yes, you'd have to buy the dongle, as it doesn't have a wireless adaptor built in. You can wire it via ethernet, though.

I bought one of these instead, does the same job and tbh has worked fine.

Damn site cheaper @ £15 opposed to the £40 odd Microsoft want for the official one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BELKIN-Wirele...tworking_SM?hash=item1c0ef2f445#ht_2013wt_859

Mito Sportiva 135
Just realised there is a new wireless network adaptor...but is only a benefit for a "wireless n network"...what the hell is one of these??

57 Clio Campus Sport
Just realised there is a new wireless network adaptor...but is only a benefit for a "wireless n network"...what the hell is one of these??

just quicker internal Internet so quicker streaming from pc to xbox, doesn't really have much effect on actual speed of Internet

and you would have to have a N capable modem to use it