ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to de-ice your windscreen like a boss

Liamm

ClioSport Club Member
  Not anymore
I use warm water on my windows and mine has a big chip in it. The thing with mine is that I still have to de-ice the inside cause there's a layer in there too! heater can't get rid of it so just scrape it.
Whenever I do put a sheet on the window it starts raining through the night so just ruins the window.

Jap Box
Got one of these myself, used it last night and for once it didn't frost over, just rained!

Tip for anyone, you can get these at Poundland, exactly the same thing, comes with suction pads to hold it in place, but i just wedged mine in the doors.

182cup & 172 racecar
Got one of these myself, used it last night and for once it didn't frost over, just rained!

Tip for anyone, you can get these at Poundland, exactly the same thing, comes with suction pads to hold it in place, but i just wedged mine in the doors.

How much was it?

371508HBO111111M.jpg

FTW!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Warm water and start the car when at home..... De-Icer when out and about.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Do it on a car with a stone chip in the windscreen ;)

Also.. seriously? A can of de-icer is like a quid

Warm water with every car i've had. Mines got a nice big chip in it at the moment. Warm water and guess what? No cracks...

Jap Box
How much was it?

Get asked this question countless numbers of times a day, does my head in!

Agreeing with above, de-icer doesn't seem to do much on overnight frost, or when the water on screen has frozen and formed a layer. I only use it for the front side windows and mirror glass. A good ice scraper is a key to success.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I forget who wrote that they use a scraper and it only takes a minute? Every scraper ive used has been a proper pain in the ass, boredom sets in very quick with me lol.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Scrapers are fine, I just choose not to use one as it'll take off my sealant.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah thats the reason :clown:. Ive better things to do than stand there for ten mins in the cold fannying around scraping ice off the car.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah thats the reason :clown:. Ive better things to do than stand there for ten mins in the cold fannying around scraping ice off the car.

10 minutes to scrape a windscreen? Takes me 2 mins max!!

I'll stick to my previous statement ;)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Lol whatever, warm water ftw, in small jugs though obviously. Being a tart water can get heavy :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is meant to be some really cold weather coming, if temps drop as low as they are saying they might (-20 or colder) then you might find the warm water re-freezing again fairly easy soon :(

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Lol whatever, warm water ftw, in small jugs though obviously. Being a tart water can get heavy :)

Calm down mate don't take It personally.

I'll probably end up using water too as apparently it will help de mist the inside which is the real pain in the ass I find.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I was only giving banter back matey, thats the problem with computers and bloody phones, unless its my crap sense of humour lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Calm down mate don't take It personally.

I'll probably end up using water too as apparently it will help de mist the inside which is the real pain in the ass I find.

Yeah the problem with any form of de-icer is even if it works initially, if the glass is still sub zero, it will freeze again, and like you say if you have moisture on the inside too it doesnt sort it at all, where as warming the screen up does.

I've been pouring warm water on frozen windscreens for longer than most of you have been alive, and I've never cracked one. Stone chips or otherwise. It's an old wives tale perpetuated by pansies, and people who are stupid enough to have tried it with a freshly boiled kettle.

I roll automatic heated these days of course. Don't even have to press a button :cool:

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Automatic heated. Things just get better and better. First we've got heated steering wheels. Now auto heated. Crazy.

330i. E30 Touring.
Next time I have s breaker on the driveway I'm going to empty a full boiling kettle onto a frozen screen. Just to see.

Using warm water, I've never had any issues