ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to destroy your paint safely ;)

PS ONLY FOLLOW THIS IF YOU WISH TO DESTROY YOUR PAINT!!!

The aim of today was to practice rotary use to destruction on a panel to see how much paint is removed by different processes.

First up we had a badly oxidised ford red bonnet that I picked up from the local scrappy. We taped off the areas to work on. You can just notice some trees trying to break through the dull shine of the red;) .

RotaryDayPics007.jpg

The paint thickness was measured in the small area taped off. We used a Landtek paint thickness guage that measures in microns or 1000ths of an millimeter. We took 7 readings across this area, the average across this area was 89 microns the paint was thicker to the left 104 and thinner at the right around 80.

RotaryDayPics005.jpg

We then started with meguiars #80 on the cyclo, the panel was now a nice deeper red and the white pads were stained red!! However the paint reading only dropped to an average of 86.9 microns. This demonstrates minimal - safe paint removal to achieve the desired shine.

But thats not what this test was exclusivly about:devil:

I think its fair to say we were itching to crack open the big guns so we jumped straight to meguiars #84 (rated 9/10 on the abrasive scale :doublesho ) using the makita rotary we started on speed 1, then 3 and finally 6 really giving it some welly:driver:

RotaryDayPics009.jpg

I took the first shift and after using the big boys we then measured the paint again and found an average thickness of 81.8 microns.
So thats 5 microns lost using almost the heaviest gun.

I said almost;)

Ben brought his diamond cut meguiars #85 (rated 10/10 on the abrasive scale :doublesho :doublesho )

Here Ben gives it a good compounding

RotaryDayPics012.jpg

What surprised us the most was how nicely these heavyweights broke down to a pretty good swirl free (but not hologram free) finish.

RotaryDayPics014.jpg

Next up we re measured the paint and found an average of 75 microns, so another 6 had fallen by the wayside.

Plenty left to play with?

Not so it would seem a black area that appeared underneath the red had formed. When measured this was 48.4 microns. A thin spot in the paint had been revealed and the black primer was faintly visible. :buffer:

Next up AlexL chose a megiars burgundy cutting pad and some #84 to try and concentrate some heat into the thin spot.

RotaryDayPics017.jpg

After a what can only be described as a seriously heavy and prolonged compounding the thin spot had dropped to 38.9 microns. After each pass we spryaed the panel wth QD to create some steam!

RotaryDayPics020.jpg

So it was left to me to kill the panel:devil:

I stuck with the 'spot' megs cutting pad and the #84 and more pressure than was really needed and 3000 rpm and I was 'smoking' ;)

RotaryDayPics022.jpg

RotaryDayPics025.jpg

AFter hanging on for dear life for waht seemed an age the pad started to break up, smoke was coming from the panel and finally we had burnt through!!

And the afters?

RotaryDayPics027.jpg

The circled area is bare metal lol

RotaryDayPics029.jpg

The debris from the dead megs cutting pad

RotaryDayPics030.jpg

Conclusion - usual disclaimers apply!

It takes a fair amount of effort to burn the paint and even go through the paint, we had so many warning signs, heat, steam, smoke, exploding pads and yet we ignored them all ;)

A reasonably comptetent person could pick up a rotary and at worst instill swirls and holograms wihout totally fubarring the paint. However the above readings are total film build and do not separate out between the primer and colour coat or in the event of clearcoated paint the clearcoat itself. It has told us that to compound safely a paint thickness meter is essential to test how much is being removed. The danger of a thin spot is always there as we found today:D

The end readings were 5.5 microns on what appeared to be bare metal (obviously had some paint on) and 28 microns on the surounding primer.

Next up we tested a clearcoated panel with swirls

RotaryDayPics031.jpg

BenP used the wool pad and #85 to clear them, to a pretty good finish on its own:thumb:

RotaryDayPics032.jpg

^^Left side polished, right side not
RotaryDayPics036.jpg

^^Before
RotaryDayPics035.jpg

^^after

Punto/Clio GTT
aint it.

cant see the point of this myself as 99.9% of burnthroughs using a mop are on edges, ie edge of a bonnet, bonnet gap to wing, door gap etc etc

you gotsa be a proper stevie to burn through the middle of a panel

Punto/Clio GTT
also gotta add. is that a porter cable thing your usin from america?

looks identical to the mop i bought from machine mart 35 quid inc vat.

not knocking what your doing with them, but a complete waste of money if you ask me

106 GTi
Final_Maxim said:

not knocking what your doing with them, but a complete waste of money if you ask me

That's a Rotary polisher not the Porter Cable.

He would be hard pushed (should be impossible) to do what is being done on this thread with the PC.

Final_Maxim said:
aint it.

cant see the point of this myself as 99.9% of burnthroughs using a mop are on edges, ie edge of a bonnet, bonnet gap to wing, door gap etc etc

you gotsa be a proper stevie to burn through the middle of a panel

I agree with you totally

The point of this test (it was posted mainly for another forum) was to show the rotary polisher isn't the uncontrollable beast many make out. It was to show that it takes real effort to burn through the paint.

FWIW I tried it on an edge yesterday and same results it takes an age to do any damage!!

Final_Maxim said:

Its the £170 Makita rotary lol

Great read mate, am currently thinking about getting a PC with a mate, not as keen as some folk on here, but still like our cars looking nice..

Throttled V6 and Daewoo
I was going to get a pc ready for the new car...

polished the 306 today... but left hand brake off after vacuuming.... rolled into post... T-cut needed