ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to drive a 182

Finally, Ive learnt how to push my 182 ... before, I was driving it like a bog-standard Clio, braking into the corners etc. But just recently, Ive started to push it around the corners ... and man, does it feel good! You have to steer quickly, but it corners so well. Virtually no body roll, and carries the speed perfectly. Only once have I felt it start to break away, and that was when I was tearing around a roundabout way too fast, and the rear end started to go light (maybe cocking the inside wheel in the air?)

So, Ive been amazed and thrilled by the surge, the sheer power, and now Im enthralled by the way it corners. Hell, its designed to corner fast, and now thats how Im driving it.

People can sl*g off the 182 all they like, but for a shade over £8K, its a fantastic car! And to be fair, Ive had Fords, Vauxhalls and Peugeots, and they all have their quirks, their rattles, and their problems. Aint nobody gonna convince me that theres a better looking car, a faster car, and a more exciting car for the same amount of money!!

PS - yes, Renault dealers are sh*te.

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

lol good stuff, watch you dont crash :p
I starting to push mine a little only had it 2 weeks now though. great car!

Mini Cooper S sport

I love going round medium-sized roundabouts when the roads completely empty - you cant help but smile :D

182s are fab.

Required 182 cornering method:

Find a well sighted open corner, deliberately carry slightly too much entry speed, turn in agressively, stab brakes to transfer weight to the front, wait for rear end to break away, apply opposite lock and power to pull you out of the slide, laugh your ar$e off :D

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 10 August 2005

difference is being a girl youre only doing 20 at the time :eek:
I cant work out if youre brave or just stupid, me thinks a little of both! lol ;)

LY V6 with Recaros

difference is being a girl youre only doing 20 at the time :eek:

Not all girls drive slow and boring you know! A girl is capable of driving a car properly you know!!:devilish:

Im only teasing MB, i know a couple (and seriously only a couple, lol) of women that can outdrive alot of blokes i know.

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 10 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 10 August 2005difference is being a girl youre only doing 20 at the time :eek: [/QUOTE]And how long have you had a deathwish? :devilish:

can i choose how i die?

Mini Cooper S sport

can i choose how i die?
NO!!! Anyway, you cant die from too much sex.

Just to attempt to keep this on topic (;)) I must try to do a track day soon, Id like to push the car a bit more.

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 10 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 10 August 2005can i choose how i die? [/QUOTE]NO!!! Anyway, you cant die from too much sex. Just to attempt to keep this on topic (;)) I must try to do a track day soon, Id like to push the car a bit more.

1. want to bet?
2. will that be due to breaking down or running out of fuel?

Mini Cooper S sport

1. want to bet?
2. will that be due to breaking down or running out of fuel?
1. Well I guess it would be fun trying!
2. Are you here all week? Should I just throw money? ;)

1. Im willing to give it a bash
2. payment in kind is good for me. Save the cash for the new pad and getting the paint sorted from that lowlifes key marks :cry:

Karen is that your bf in the picture on your profile link? ;) someone had to ask:cool:

edited to say keeping it on topic
[Edited by toonboy on 8/11/2005 3:20:26 AM]

Clio 182

Quote: Originally posted by toonboy on 11 August 2005

Karen is that your bf in the picture on your profile link? ;) someone had to ask:cool:

edited to say keeping it on topic
[Edited by toonboy on 8/11/2005 3:20:26 AM]
wtf you on about?

lol my mate bought my 182 2 weeks ago problem was i had it for a year and was only getting used to the way it drives and handles. was getting some good speeds round corners i never thought i could go round that quick before the car truely does handle well. well the problem with my mate was he got in it and thought he could take the corners the same and faster than what i could after just 2 weeks. well friday he managed to flip the thing on its roof and land in a ditch lucky he got out alive.

l

how to drive a 182....

1, get into vehicle and check it is not in gear.

2, start engine and apply baseball cap to head at 45 degree upwards position

3, place right hand at 12 oclock position and left hand on gear stick

4, turn on radio to full and flick neons on

5, drive flat out in McDonalds car park and drive through

;)

oh sorry was thinking about novas for a sec !!! lol

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by richy on 14 August 2005

3, place right hand at 12 oclock position and left hand on gear stick
lol, thats so true! i cant stand people driving like that!

Im fortunate at our local McDonalds - the chavs just stare open-jawed as I sit there eating that crap with my wife and kids, and give me some respect ... we usually end up with the Novas and Corsas circling us like a pack of Indians, revving their 1.2 engines - its like theyre looking and thinking, "Is that actually a 182?!"

Incidentally, I have to drive with both hands on the wheel - at 7,000rpm, I darent let go of the wheel - in 2nd gear, the torque steer is crazy! But I have to let go to shift up into third! Aint nothing more satisfying that seeing the speedo hit 70mph in 2nd!

Quote: Originally posted by ShaunS on 14 August 2005

Im fortunate at our local McDonalds - the chavs just stare open-jawed as I sit there eating that crap with my wife and kids, and give me some respect ... we usually end up with the Novas and Corsas circling us like a pack of Indians, revving their 1.2 engines - its like theyre looking and thinking, "Is that actually a 182?!"

Incidentally, I have to drive with both hands on the wheel - at 7,000rpm, I darent let go of the wheel - in 2nd gear, the torque steer is crazy! But I have to let go to shift up into third! Aint nothing more satisfying that seeing the speedo hit 70mph in 2nd!

can they actually do 70 in 2nd?

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 15 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by ShaunS on 14 August 2005Im fortunate at our local McDonalds - the chavs just stare open-jawed as I sit there eating that crap with my wife and kids, and give me some respect ... we usually end up with the Novas and Corsas circling us like a pack of Indians, revving their 1.2 engines - its like theyre looking and thinking, "Is that actually a 182?!"

Incidentally, I have to drive with both hands on the wheel - at 7,000rpm, I darent let go of the wheel - in 2nd gear, the torque steer is crazy! But I have to let go to shift up into third! Aint nothing more satisfying that seeing the speedo hit 70mph in 2nd!can they actually do 70 in 2nd?

Yeppers

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

Quote;

People can sl*g off the 182 all they like, but for a shade over £8K

Where from?????? private / trade??????

Steve

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 15 August 2005

Sure Ive seen an indicated 70 in mine
Indicated being the key word...

Why would you want to ? Youll go quicker if you change earlier..... Only really worth holding on to second that long if your doing a 0-60 run imho..... better changeing just before to get into the meat of third without running out of puff in second....

Mine shows 70mph - if Im doing a 0-60 run, its the best way to do it - and it scares my mates! What its actually doing is another thing - maybe 65mph? Sometimes, itll bounce off the rev limiter at about 60mph though.

Mine was 8,750, private sale.

Oh, and as for ESP - I did a drag start with my mate in the car, and he papped his pants. Then, for a laugh, I did it again with the traction control off. For about four seconds, the car didnt move - just spun its wheels in a puff of smoke! I guess you really have to know how to drive if you turn that ESP off, and I aint got the balls!

2005 Impreza WRX STI

my mk1 172 hits 40 in 1st and 70 in second! bring on the chip!:devilish:

cant beleive 182s are going that cheap! what are renault playing at bringing all these models out decreasing the value of ours!crazy fools!

Ive had my 172 for well over a year - still finding out how hard I can push it around corners. Didnt help that while I was awaiting delivery of it, a mate rolled his Focus ST170 at speed and ended up dead...

But, Saturday night I "followed" another car home along a backroad, it was rather enlightening - I drove a lot faster around some bends that I thought possible. Helped that it was an Ignis Sport I was chasing and I knew that if he could take the corner then so should I :devilish:

I really dont get the chance to drive it properly much :(