ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to fit bc racing top mounts

geordie

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
hi Is about to fit my bc dr coil overs. There is no instructions on the top mounts ? They are the solid ones supplied by Kam Racing. Has anyone got a guide or any pointers.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Unbolt the round disc off the top, the one with the 3 Allen head bolts.

Put the coilover in from underneath the car and then bolt the disc back on.

Spinning the disc will adjust your camber and castor accordingly.

geordie

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I’ve seen a few oval holes I remember a Renault garage making them oval to stop strut top noise

Clio 182 Cup
Holy thread revival batman!

Fitted BC BR coilovers a few months ago with the pillow ball top mount (with adjustable camber/castor) however I have been chasing a knock ever since I fitted them. Did the usual preload reset and made sure everything was tight however the knock still exists (the car has new Powerflex inner and outer ARB bushes, wishbones bushes and ball joints). Only seems to happen on bumps/potholes where it's more likely to have a short jolt and become unloaded.

So I unbolted the camber disc and raised the car enough to take initial weight off and noticed that the top mount where it joins through the turret has a bit of play (see attached video). After pulling the coilover out, I noticed that it has worn away some paint on one part of the turret edge and there are contact marks on the top mount itself where it's been rubbing. It seems the unit doesn't go in with a neat/tight fight into the turret (alluding to what's already been said above about funny shaped turrets).

I'm in the process of ordering some OEM spring hats from KAM (on back order) for the BRs so I can fit some KTEC solid top mounts to see if I can get rid of this movement however I'm interested to know if anyone else has experienced this?

Pinging @JamesBryan as you seem to have posted a bit about the BCs!

Last edited:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Holy thread revival batman!

Fitted BC BR coilovers a few months ago with the pillow ball top mount (with adjustable camber/castor) however I have been chasing a knock ever since I fitted them. Did the usual preload reset and made sure everything was tight however the knock still exists (the car has new Powerflex inner and outer ARB bushes, wishbones bushes and ball joints). Only seems to happen on bumps/potholes where it's more likely to have a short jolt and become unloaded.

So I unbolted the camber disc and raised the car enough to take initial weight off and noticed that the top mount where it joins through the turret has a bit of play (see attached video). After pulling the coilover out, I noticed that it has worn away some paint on one part of the turret edge and there are contact marks on the top mount itself where it's been rubbing. It seems the unit doesn't go in with a neat/tight fight into the turret (alluding to what's already been said above about funny shaped turrets).

I'm in the process of ordering some OEM spring hats from KAM (on back order) for the BRs so I can fit some KTEC solid top mounts to see if I can get rid of this movement however I'm interested to know if anyone else has experienced this?

Pinging @JamesBryan as you seem to have posted a bit about the BCs!

View attachment 1641920

That's normal by the look of it and wouldn't happen once the top plate is bolted on.

Is the central nut tight? Remove the black dampening screw and the gold collar underneath and check that the big nut is tight.

Clio 182 Cup
Interesting! Central nut is as tight as a nuns... purse (without overtightening). I assume you mean the top nut here as the dampening screw and gold collar are one and the same thing.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting! Central nut is as tight as a nuns... purse (without overtightening). I assume you mean the top nut here as the dampening screw and gold collar are one and the same thing.

Yeah the top nut.

Guessing you've tried swinging off the wheel to see if there's play anywhere?

Clio 182 Cup
I can't say I've swung off the wheel no lol - given it's only held in by the 3x stainless screws on the camber plate, I'm not sure how strong it would be to swing off it!
I have nipped the 3x screws up and will see how I get on this weekend.