ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to get a bit more torque out of my 172??

Iceberg 172
Trouble is the F4R actually ISNT "designed to be revved", its designed to be moderately torquey in the midrange if you look at things like the bore and stroke and rod ratio of the bottom end, but then renault tuned it to rev, which means its a massive compromise, you have an engine that doesnt naturally want to rev, being used out of its comfort zone geometry wise just because its got fairly hot cams.
What an F4R design really lends itself well to is 5Krpm and a bar of boost!

Does this mean it's a bad design for the job? Or have Renault just formed (and quite sensible) a costing saving exercise?

phase 1 flamer 172
They do work quite well but are a poor design for a high revving performance engine, although that long stroke may help the torque figure.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As a standard engine they are a good package, they just are ultimately quite limited in terms of what further gains you can get.

As Dan says, the economy is very good for a fairly high output unit, its only engine I can think of in that respect which matches the old XE lumps (although those are a lot more tunable!)

PH2 172
Thanks alot for all this guys :) give me a lot more insight into the routes to go down or not go down, think I'll just put a NiRUreasonably quiet after market catback on it, highflow filter and a remap :)