ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to remove 58k worth of dirt?!?

107 Track Car & C4
Was planning on removing my front wheels today and cleaning the inside of them and seal with Poorboys, but I then came across an problem. I don't think they've ever been cleaned in the 58,000 miles the car has done. They were seriously awful, nothing I've got would touch the dirt that's on there.

What would people recommend for this? I tried using some normal shampoo (Zaino) and some Autoglym Wheel Cleaner, which worked reasonably well on the rear's when I did them last September.

Here is what I'm faced with:
Dirty.gif

Liam :)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
A decent wheel cleaner, maybe a strong mix of degreaser, tar remover (autosmart tardis), ironX, clay, polish.

If that doesn't clean them, then you're fucked lol

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I'd scrape as much of the crap off and invest in some iron x / bilberry wheel cleaner.

107 Track Car & C4
Yep, doesn't matter though, keeps me busy for a few hours lol. I see there is a paste version of Iron X? Would you use the normal stuff to start with, then the more difficult patches with the paste?

FF RB 182
take them all off and take them down to a local garage pressure washer? That should get alot of it off.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
search for my thread on using a decent wheel sealant. dont p!ss about with cheap jack half @ss'd wheel sealants that wouldnt provide as much protection as colli 476s or fk1000 hybrid wax

nano quartz wheel sealants or leave them as they are.

do it once do it properly. all purpose cleaner, maybe a tar remover. definitely an iron remover. then look into cleansing for proper sealant

107 Track Car & C4
I'd stick to the normal ironX spray mate.

Ok mate, cheers :)

search for my thread on using a decent wheel sealant. dont p!ss about with cheap jack half @ss'd wheel sealants that wouldnt provide as much protection as colli 476s or fk1000 hybrid wax

nano quartz wheel sealants or leave them as they are.

do it once do it properly. all purpose cleaner, maybe a tar remover. definitely an iron remover. then look into cleansing for proper sealant

Ok cheers, I will have a search for your thread! I've never been into 'detailing' as such, but always cleaned all my cars weekly. Starting to get a bug for it a little now, so over the coming months I'll be investing in better products :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh and Bilberry isn't the product for that type of dirt.

FF Clio 182
I used Wonder Wheels. Had a set of team dynamics that hadn't been cleaned for about 10 years. Used a whole 1 litre bottle. Good stuff tho

107 Track Car & C4
Isn't that the stuff that is going cheap in Tesco at the moment? Think I saw a thread on here this morning about that stuff, very similar to Iron X from what I read? Might have to walk over to Tesco in the morning ;)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
it can, damage the alloy and the finish, it can

and having to use 1L of it its obviously not working that well

as said, see my thread on sealing wheels properly

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Went from Silver to Chromoflair (read dull Silver)

182 Cup
it can, damage the alloy and the finish, it can

and having to use 1L of it its obviously not working that well

as said, see my thread on sealing wheels properly

For occasional use in circumstances like this, an acidic wheel cleaner isn't going to annihilate the finish on the wheels is it?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
ValetPro Bilberry Wheel cleaner, that better for you sir?

Really? I tend to use it for any type of dirt that's on my turbines after cleaning them with a pressure washer.

Lols. No just it's a very cheap product mate.

Yeah I would get some wonder wheels. Like what's been said using it every 6 months or so won't be bad for the wheels. Just make sure you wash the wheels again after using it and you will be fine.

Scouring pads are cheap and will get a car clean, but will damage everything it touches in the meantime. Just like acidic wheel cleaner.

FF Clio 182
Scouring pads are cheap and will get a car clean, but will damage everything it touches in the meantime. Just like acidic wheel cleaner.

It's not the product that's the problem, it's how often you decide to use it. Using acid wheel cleaner every week will do damage, yet using them once to get all the worse dirt and brake dust of will not. If it does then that's some s**t lacquer they been using.

Peddled device
Try some 'ally brite' from a local truck wash. Usually its hydrofluoric acid or phosphoric acid and will need to be diluted 3:1. It will probably shift nearly all of that in one go. If you do be very very careful with it (rubber gloves and googles TBH) and rinse it off and away from everything. It's strong stuff, so best just use it once. I've used diluted phos acid a couple of times over the years on my 182 wheels and there's not been any damage, but i'd never use it regularly.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
working on the car at the weekend, hands got covered in grease. Swarfega wasn't getting it off after a couple of washes so just used bleach

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Isn't that the stuff that is going cheap in Tesco at the moment? Think I saw a thread on here this morning about that stuff, very similar to Iron X from what I read? Might have to walk over to Tesco in the morning ;)

Yes.. 1.73 for a bottle of wonder wheels in tescos, or 9 quid in halfords!

Its not acidic i dont think.