ClioSport.net

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

  • When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to replace top engine mount and upper gearbox mount?

Car  172DD Cup
hi,

ENGINE MOUNT: do i need to remove the engine side of the mount (the big chunk of metal), or just jack the engine up high enough to slide the mount out?
as you look at the mount from the side of the car there's a bolt down to the left, looks like 13mm from memory, it's right up against the chassis, does this need to come out? if so do i need to jack the engine up to gain access to it?

GEARBOX MOUNT: i take it i don't have to remove the large chunk of metal here, just a bolt and nut, accessible from under the battery and under the wheel arch?

thanks, kris
 
Engine mount: If you have some pics I'm sure you'll get more advice, as I'm not quite sure what you're talking about with regards to the 13mm bolt.

As for the upper GB mount, I've struggled with this in the past, the key is to get onto both nuts apparently, the visible one ontop of the mount (under the battery) and the one underneath too. As just turning the top one gets you nowhere, trust me!
 
please excuse the arrow, it was done on my phone so i'm restricted to clip art! to help you get your bearings, the two large bolts in the picture are the top bolts on the engine mount.

enginemount.webp
 
The two big bolts on the right? It just depends what you're replacing tbh, I can't remember how "complete" the top engine mount unit is, if there's a new bit to go there, replace it, if not, don't.

Replace that mount is dead simple, really just a case of jacking the engine up, removing the bolts, putting the new one one, do the bolts back up.
 
you lost me :) what two big bolts on the right? replacing?

i'm just wondering if that nut that i've arrowed, the one hidden away and you can only see the end of the bolt, does it need to come off to replace the engine mount, and if so, do i need to jack the engine up to get to it?
 
Ah ok, I'm with you now, sorry I was mid conversation when typing and wrote right instead of left, as far as I'm aware mate there's no reason that hidden bolt would come off? I haven't even noticed it before... lol!
 
Back
Top