ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to tell an import

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

Right this weekend im going to look at a couple of 172s now i know most garages will be hounest but some seem unsure wether they are uk or not!?

so im not fobbed off does anyone know any easy ways to tell? cahssis numbers or anything like that??

thanks

Pete

VaVa

Phone Renault UK and tell them the reg number/chassis number. Someone on here should have the number....

Imports also came without a Renault Cat1 alarm.

an easy and sly way is to ask to see the sevice history. The GB service history starts about half way through the book after french, dutch etc.

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

i dont know why im so bothered, i would just prefer a uk car!

ill just have to hope there hounest then, any one have renult uks number?

Lee

BMW M2C

To be 100% sure, call RUK with the VIN number, they can tell you the cars original country of origin. I did that with my 172 to make sure it was originally destined for an EU country.

Surely it says on the DVLA log book?

Insurance companies often ask if its an import, if it doesnt say on the DVLA then how would anyone know?

Also imports tend to be pre-reg so see if the 1st owner had it for less than 3 months, thats if the car hasnt had 3 or more owners!

Lee

BMW M2C

No, because the car was registered over here.

Insurance companies only really care about grey imports, not EU ones as the car is the same as sold over here in most cases.

Being a pre reg car doesnt really tell you anything as lots of UK cars get pre registered also. The difference being an import will usualy show to have changed hands after 1 day, a UK car after 3 months I think.

dk

911 GTS Cab

a couple of things to check would be the chassis number etched in the windows and the registration details on the national security register and the cat 1 alarm with the flashy light thingy in the right place. If these two are both there then maybe check with renault but if either isnt there then it is obviously an import (or has had all its windows smashed and replaced and the alarm changed!)

i got my import 182 a few month ago now, and cant see why its a big deal if the cars an import or not.

anyways the car only has a lock for the key on one door. Ive noticed the locks on the passenger side on my import but its on the drivers side on my girlfriends mams clio and her brothers clio, both of them been non imports.

my imports same as uk spec minus - locking wheel nuts, window etching and alarm as far as i can tell. Of course all these things can be added so u cant rely on using this to try and tell if the cars been imported.

U still get the full Renault 3 year warranty and all manuals etc. are in english. and i am the only registered owner on my car.

Mines not alarmed yet but still has the red flashy light, it just shows the immobilizers armed.

[Edited by partyboy on 25 August 2004 at 6:07pm]

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by partyboy on 25 August 2004

i got my import 182 a few month ago now, and cant see why its a big deal if the cars an import or not.

anyways the car only has a lock for the key on one door. Ive noticed the locks on the passenger side on my import but its on the drivers side on my girlfriends mams clio and her brothers clio, both of them been non imports.

my imports same as uk spec minus - locking wheel nuts, window etching and alarm as far as i can tell. Of course all these things can be added so u cant rely on using this to try and tell if the cars been imported.

U still get the full Renault 3 year warranty and all manuals etc. are in english. and i am the only registered owner on my car.

Mines not alarmed yet but still has the red flashy light, it just shows the immobilizers armed.

the uk 182s with alarm fitted have another flashing light on the centre console by the base of the gearstick.

The main reason people are not keen on the imported 182s now is that Renault have got clever and you cannot get the all important cup packs on an import, and thats what most buyers are after.

You pay less for an imported car but you get less for it when traded in, this wasnt a problem a few years ago when there was a massive difference between uk and imported cars but now the difference in price is not that big, when you added all the on the road costs, the cat 1 alarm fitting, the window etching it comes to about £500 off what I paid for my 182 fully loaded without just satnav and when you add the options i had on to the cost of the import it actually comes to the same as what i paid, and i got mine form a uk dealer!

The import trick just isnt as good as it used to be (my last car was an import but that was when there were massive saving to be made)

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 25 August 2004

Phone Renault UK and tell them the reg number/chassis number. Someone on here should have the number....

Imports also came without a Renault Cat1 alarm.
My car was an import via a dealer and it was delivered to me complete with a Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser. No Clios arrive in the UK with alarms, apparently they are installed down in Southampton or which ever dock they arrive at (as far as I know).

i thought the import 172s only had 15" wheels? all the ones ive seen have and its an easy way to tell.

Dan.

erm all 172 mk2s have 16s import or not

mines an import with 2 owners the bloke that had it before me and me thats it ! first stamp is renult leeds it has locking nuts alarm cd changer etc etc etc

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 26 August 2004

i thought the import 172s only had 15" wheels? all the ones ive seen have and its an easy way to tell.

Dan.
Mine came with 16" standard 172 wheels until I put 17" Super Ts on it.

It appears identical in every way to a UK sourced one - English manual too.

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 26 August 2004

mines an import with 2 owners the bloke that had it before me and me thats it ! first stamp is renult leeds it has locking nuts alarm cd changer etc etc etc
ill agree to dissagree on that one. ;)

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 25 August 2004

erm you cant without asking renault
This isnt quite true, although what im about to say isnt 100% fool proof.

Check the windows for etchings of the vin numbers, these are done at the uk import centre and are therefore not on parallel imports. The only reason i say its not foolproof is someone might of gone to the bother of getting hold of an original etching kit from renault UK and done it them self, although i doubt this because theyre not cheap.

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 26 August 2004

But i bet it hasnt got the vin number etched on the windows!?!?!?!

3 Series xdrive

check the service book, the stamp on the first page should be a british dealers stamp, if its in French then it an import, it makes eff all difference anyway, its still the exact same car made in the same factorty by the same ppl to the same spec, only diff is it might not have a cat1 renault alarm(but you can get a better one fitted for around £200, and the windows wont have registartion number etchings(autoglass can do that for a small fee)

the very first page in the service book will have a stamp of the original dealership - if it is am import I believe this will be from a foreign dealer!

certainly that was the case with mine.

ah, just read the thread above mine!!! sorry daz182 - but at least I am agreeing with you.

there was no other differences with mine, except the locking wheel nuts (I had the correct Cat alarm, the cd player etc)

Lee

BMW M2C

For the love of god just phone Renault UK and ask them. They will know from the VIN which country the car was originally sold in. Why bother playing detective when a simple phone call can answer your question. :D

With regard to the etching, its not the reg that gets etched, its the cars number on the National Security Register.

My import 172, had no locking wheel nuts, alarm or etching, there was no dealer stamp in the service book either.

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by partyboy on 25 August 2004

the lock on all 182s is on the passenger side as in the right hand side when looking head on at the car.

Quote: Originally posted by daz182 on 26 August 2004
only diff is it might not have a cat1 renault alarm(but you can get a better one fitted for around £200, and the windows wont have registartion number etchings(autoglass can do that for a small fee)

Mine is a parallel import & didnt come with the alarm (getting one fitted for 200-250) nor the locking nuts. I got my windows etched by Autoglass free of charge through my insurance company (liverpoolvictoria).

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 26 August 2004
the lock on all 182s is on the passenger side as in the right hand side when looking head on at the car.

Same here - whats the reason behind it, anyone know? :confused:

Ford Fiesta

yeah autoglass do it for free, but this dont link it to ISR, still whatever use that is. Its them that give the stickers out for the windows, another way to tel suppose

Quote: Originally posted by b0redtodeath on 26 August 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 26 August 2004

Same here - whats the reason behind it, anyone know? :confused:

Yep..its a french car!!!...would be left hand drive ..the drivers side in france ..the french couldnt be arsed to make any effort for us brits..still good though...means you can park the car very tight on the passenger side and thats where the only lock is.