ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How worn can semi slicks go before you shouldn't use on track?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I have 4 AD08r's of which 2 are on wear indicator.

I thought that, particularly in the dry, does it really matter how low the wear gets as some drivers use slicks?

However, having read up on the web there are a lot of different thoughts. Some say its fine for a while, and use until the rubber has pretty much worn thru to the lining, others say the grip of the rubber below 2 mm gets less, so grip gets more dicey.

And all the semi slicks ive tried seem to wear pretty quick, no doubt one of the reasons is they only start with 5 or 6mm tread in first place. Then getting your tyre pressures right is difficult to get the grip and wear right.

Also seen that road tyres which usually have 8/9mm to start when new, react badly on track as the blocks "wobble" causing a lot of feathering (I have experience of that) so best to only have road tyres round 4mm

Always have another set to drive home, usually the wheels/tyres I take as wet back up, so that's not the issue

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Depends on the tyres for sure. And if you have another set for driving home on. As you do id drive to the cords.

I did so on a set of A048s and noticed no difference in grip, they were awesome though!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
The inner carcass of a tyre is made of different rubber to the tread blocks, it'll be stronger and harder than the tread so if you do go well below the minimum expect the grip to be reduced. You won't get slick's performance from them! If you have other wheels to get you home there's no reason why you shouldn't get your moneys worth out of them though. I expect you'll know when it's time to give them up.

Ben Cook

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 (2010)
I’ve got PS Cup 2’s on at the moment, I’ve do two track days on them and although there is plenty of tread left they have lost a lot of their grip and feel. Guessing it’s how they are used regards heat cycles?

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Managed to get the use out of these but did wonder why my grip had gone ? up to that point they were fine though.

Attachments

• 0DC2259F-30F8-4830-B01E-5AEB45B70E6B.jpeg
    0DC2259F-30F8-4830-B01E-5AEB45B70E6B.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 280