ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HP Web OS devices.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Sounds like a s**t product if you need to speak to technical support just to log into cliosport.

SLK 350
I managed to get two 32GB Touchpads from CPW after trying Comet, Currys, PCW, Amazon, Bestbuy... most of the sites went down and then Amazon decided to cancel all orders. Thankfully CPW pulled through for a change.

For anyone that's got one, update it to 3.0.2, then get Preware on it. There are a number of performance patches you can apply which really speed it up (felt sluggish at time prior to doing these), then on top of that install a the F15C kernel, whack Govnah on it and OC it to 1.7ghz* (ondemand)... the thing FLIES! Seriously seriously fast!

Link - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1230912

I'm hoping someone (if not HP) will buy WebOS and continue to develop it. I think the only thing that would make me want to depart from it is the lack of applications, much prefer the experience to Android from a tablet POV.

Bargain for the money spent!

*Don't come to me if you fry/brick it :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely.

A few adverts and they'd have sold millions. It's a shame they didn't think of that.

This.

Never heard of it until all this kicked off.

Since they reduced it to £89 I have had a look around at reviews and stuff and it seems the closest (read as only one anywhere near ;)) competitor to the iPad. The reviews it got when it came out were brilliant in general.

SLK 350
The reviews were mixed. The FW it was launched with (3.0.0) suffered from a few issues - mainly performance related. Gladly, the latest version fixes much of that.

Fairly sure performance wise there's not much in it between this and the iPad 2. Then when OC'd I'd imagine this is quicker still.

The thing I'm most impressed with though are the speakers, stereo with Beats audio. Fantastic sound for the size of the thing!

Mk2 ph1 clio
I'm more than happy with this touchpad over an iPad. Ive done training on both products and I said this had potential to be an iPad killer! True multitasking beats audio and just type... What a simple idea but bloody useful when set up!

SLK 350
I'm also very very happy with it. I couldn't ever justify spending £400+ on a tablet, however, if they can make usable tabs for £200 I can see them flying off of the shelves.

Cyanogen have a working alpha of Gingerbread on the TP now, they're working on a dual boot between Android/WebOS. Interesting times!

Mk2 ph1 clio
Im enjoying it, and TBH the App catalogue isnt that bad! It had the ones i would usualy turn my laptop on for, facebook, flickr, news etc etc so it's ideal.

Im busy putting some films on it now, see what the screen quality is like for movies!

6/468 17poo
Ive just made mine run at 1.7ghz and it flies now, the sound from this thing is pretty good too! just using it to stream soundcloud is great!

Think we need a dedicated 'decent' app list!

SLK 350
Apparently HP are making more of these temporarily. Stock allegedly available from the end of October.

HP have also announced that they will be pushing out an OTA update which will add a host of new features.

They're only making more because they already have the components.

Selling them for a massive loss isn't going to do them any good! Lol. Lets say it sells better than the iPad. So they can lose $100+ on each one? That's a f**k ton of money if they're selling 20million units.

They have no other stream of revenue to hit the ground running. If they sold 20m, then the devs would appear and the app store would be massive but that takes time and by then, they've already lost so much money that taking a 30% cut on some apps just isn't going to get them the money they need.

Amazons tablet will sell like hot cakes because it'll be cheap but they have the infrastructure to back that cheap price up when they're probably the biggest online retailer and sell all the content you could want for your new tablet.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member

Selling them for a massive loss isn't going to do them any good! Lol. Lets say it sells better than the iPad. So they can lose $100+ on each one? That's a f**k ton of money if they're selling 20million units.

They have no other stream of revenue to hit the ground running. If they sold 20m, then the devs would appear and the app store would be massive but that takes time and by then, they've already lost so much money that taking a 30% cut on some apps just isn't going to get them the money they need.

Amazons tablet will sell like hot cakes because it'll be cheap but they have the infrastructure to back that cheap price up when they're probably the biggest online retailer and sell all the content you could want for your new tablet.

Do we know their costs per unit on these? Clearly their marketing budget was next to f**k all

I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't lost a great deal (ignoring any R&D costs, anyway)

About $300 according to the teardowns. They admitted to losing more than $100 when they sold them for $99. But there was never exact figures.

Apple buying millions of screens and half the worlds flash memory can't get them that cheap. The bill of materials for an iPad is over $300 too. They're just expensive things to produce.

The Amazon one is supposedly going to be cheaper because they know they'll make it back. Same reason the Kindles are cheap.

Mk2 ph1 clio
I recommend downloading the SNES application... I've just got some classics on my touchpad now! Mario, bomberman, zool, coolspot, mario kart etc etc! Awesome!!

Clio

You are 100% spot on. That is what is happening. They are hoping to offload the whole hardware side of the touchpad business by Q2 next year. There will be another sell off before that and maybe the touchpad will be back but it won't be made by HP.

I would buy it off you if you didn't want it Pete, i'll even come and collect it from you. And also bring you some nice cider as a thank you.