ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HTC Desire to get FroYo update this weekend...

Clio 197
Surely the rom can be flashed, then load a non-network version?

Just interested because I'm locked to T-Mobile.

You can root it and install a rom already out at XDA Developers. Voids warranty though. I believe you root, drop all the way back to original android release then upgrade. Quite a few steps involved though

You can root it and install a rom already out at XDA Developers. Voids warranty though. I believe you root, drop all the way back to original android release then upgrade. Quite a few steps involved though

f**k me. A little bit of hassle. Baws. I spent a whole evening wasting my time trying to do mine. Couldnt even get the desire working with windows 7!

First bit of tech I've given up. I'm happy playing with the linux command prompt etc, but I'll wait for the official tmobile release.

Scrub my last post! I wouldnt be beat so I tried again here are the steps I did all in one place (mainly for me if I ever have to do it again!!!)

1. Backup phone using MyBackup Pro..

2. Install HTC sync and fix driver issue using this page (only do this if you have Windows 7)

http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Solve-HTC-Hero-Sync-Problem-in-Windows-7-4442-01.html

3. Make a goldcard using the GoldCard Tool - Dont bother trying to do it manually, why do that when this app does it for you?

http://android.modaco.com/content/software/308798/pc-application-goldcardtool/

4. Follow these steps:

Now you need to download the Original 2.1 rom that is straight from HTC. Get it Here: http://shipped-roms....6984_signed.exe

Ok, Now your phone must be connected in the Charge only mode and with usb debugging enabled.
Now open the rom that you downloaded. Just to clarify this is the official stock rom.
Just tick all the boxes and keep clicking next. It will then show you the version on your phone (it should be 1.19.xxx.xx blah blah) the it should have an update button. click that update button then click next.
Your phone should start to update. It should take about 5-10 minuted and it should complete everything by its self. It may seem like it freezes a couple of times and even when the update program is finshed and closed your phone will still be busy for a couple of minutes.

Eventually it should finish and you should be 100% debranded. Now search for updates and you will get 2.2

above taken from: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/topic/70043-htc-desire-i-have-22-i-have-just-debranded/

5. I had a brown pants moment with the above step because it an error came up saying that I'd disconected the phone. Rebooted pc and restarted installation and it picked up where it left off.

6. Let it install fully, then go into the phone settings, check for updates, say download update.

7. Let it do its thing. Takes ages.

8. Once froyo has installed goto the market and download Mybackup Pro and restore your phones settings/contacts/sms etc.

9. Thats it! Enjoy.

I risked my phone but if you fvck yours - not my fault!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Only vodafone got an update today. T mobile is sometime next month..

So you just took the OTA update? Seems a strange way to do it. after doing the Gold card thing you may as well have gone all the way and taken a rom off the modaco site. With the OTA update it will prevent you from rooting in the future (or at least until a hack is out).
What do you think to Froyo so far then? I can't wait for my insurance to cough up my new Desire after loosing the old one :(.

Fiesta ST-3
yeh thats a good feature but hardly any of the apps are compatible with it yet. So out of the 8 or so apps i had on it i could only move 2 to the SD card. HD video is good i must say

182FF with cup packs
yeh thats a good feature but hardly any of the apps are compatible with it yet. So out of the 8 or so apps i had on it i could only move 2 to the SD card. HD video is good i must say

Not all apps will be able to be moved to the SD Card anyway. It is something that the developer actually has to include in the app. Basically because you lose access to anything installed on the SD card when you mount your SD card via USB to the PC.

Speed wise 2.2 is a massive improvement in some areas. Browsing especially, in some areas upto a 600% speed increase.

The added bonus is that you can now download full blown flash 10.1 instead of the FlashLite that HTC give with 2.1. Works like a charm.

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
Tbh, I have had the update since it came out for the Desire and it does seem slightly faster, but nothing that noticeable imho. For me, its the power down bug fix and also full flash. The HD upgrade on the camcorder isn't very good quality imho - well compared to the IPhone 4. The move to SD card isn't fully supported yet and as mentioned it only works with a select few apps.

For me, 2.2 is a minor update and something the Desire should have had when it was launched.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Just got my new one back through insurance and it came with 2.2 on it. Looks good so far and just trying the wifi tethering and it works a treat:). Not bad with a 3GB fair usage limit...

So you just took the OTA update? Seems a strange way to do it. after doing the Gold card thing you may as well have gone all the way and taken a rom off the modaco site. With the OTA update it will prevent you from rooting in the future (or at least until a hack is out).
What do you think to Froyo so far then? I can't wait for my insurance to cough up my new Desire after loosing the old one :(.

Thats pretty much it. You goldcard then go back to the OEM HTC rom taken off their site, so its properly debranded. Then when you update it thinks its a debranded phone and will pull the update from HTC not your provider.

2.2 is good. Not that much different to look at. The wifi hotspot thing is cool. Havent tried the HD video yet.

My quadrant score was 503 on 2.1 and after the upgrade it went to 1246! However, I'm not using the stock web browser because its not as smooth/jerky and slow... so I'm trying Opera. Seems as good if not better than the 2.1 browser.

For some reason all my songs in the music player are doubled up, cant work out why so I'm using doubletwist.

Battery seems to be lasting longer.

330ci sport
Got the system update this morning and now updated on O2. Now running 2.2. Seems much the same but a couple nice tweaks like Wi-fi Hotspot and HD camcorder.

182FF with cup packs
The phone will check automatically every so often to see if any updates are available and if there are any it will just pop up in the notifications bar.

It does depend on which network you are on though. If you have a non-branded phone you should get your updates pretty early, if your handset is branded with a mobile companies s**t then it may take weeks or months for them to release an update.

As a plus point to having a rooted phone, Ive had 2.2 on my HTC Hero for well over a month :D
im hoping now this desire update will allow me to have sense back:rasp: