ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HTC One or iPhone 5?

Clio 172
As above please people, I don't know it's its been covered on here or not so just thought I'd ask the question.

Currently have a Galaxy s2 and my upgrade is due, these two are looking like the best ones so far.

So just wondering which one people rate higher? Also the galaxy s4 is floating around too.

Cheers :)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Wait for the new iPhone.

This ^

It's due in the next few weeks, see what it offers before commiting, but I'd not be getting a 5 at this point though

The HTC One is a very good phone though

I went from an S2 to the HTC One I'm pretty impressed, I rooted my S2 but haven't done with this it's very good!

Just fancied something with a better design with no plastic and better quality.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
HTC one is far superior in every way to an I phone 5 . New I phone will just be a 5 with a few updates . Get the HTC one all reveiws rate it as best phone at the minute . If you a fashion victim or sheep go for the I phone if you know anything about phones get the one !
More people than ever are realising now hench why apple only have 25% market share now lol

Clio 172
HTC one is far superior in every way to an I phone 5 . New I phone will just be a 5 with a few updates . Get the HTC one all reveiws rate it as best phone at the minute . If you a fashion victim or sheep go for the I phone if you know anything about phones get the one !
More people than ever are realising now hench why apple only have 25% market share now lol

Cheers mate. Think my minds made up :)

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
As you're already used to Android, HTC one no question. I can't see the the new Iphone doing much to advance the game; big HD screen, faster processor, bigger battery, NFC, and fingerprint security look possible. HTC has all but the fingerprint recognition but Android's had face recognition security for over a year. The HTC will certainly be far cheaper as well.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Based on what you've had in the past i'd say HTC one.

Give an iPhone a try although keep in mind come September the OS changes totally.

HTC One any day of the week. Once you've used Android, going back to iOS will seem like you've transported back in time a good few years. iPhone's hardware is fantastic but it's such a shame the OS is so dated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
HTC One any day of the week. Once you've used Android, going back to iOS will seem like you've transported back in time a good few years. iPhone's hardware is fantastic but it's such a shame the OS is so dated.

Having had 3 Android phones myself and earlier this year moving over to an iPhone, I kind of disagree, yes iOS6 has a few of the bells & whistles of Android missing, but what it does it does very well. I moved to an iPhone due to compatibility issues with my BMW's bluetooth and also like the integration & stability compared to Android, although I would have either I'm not a die hard fan of either.

With iOS7 just around the corner, which is a more Android like OS in look & feel, I'd be hanging fire for the iPhone 5S which is due very soon

clio 172
The htc one is defiantly the better phone over the iphone 5, but as others as said its defiantly worth waiting for the new iphone announcement. Yes IOS is dated but having used IOS7 beta for a while coming from android it offers the functionality of android while being smoother and more stable even in the beta version. As always it will come down to personal preference but the iphone will always cost significantly more than the HTC.

Having had 3 Android phones myself and earlier this year moving over to an iPhone, I kind of disagree, yes iOS6 has a few of the bells & whistles of Android missing, but what it does it does very well. I moved to an iPhone due to compatibility issues with my BMW's bluetooth and also like the integration & stability compared to Android, although I would have either I'm not a die hard fan of either.

With iOS7 just around the corner, which is a more Android like OS in look & feel, I'd be hanging fire for the iPhone 5S which is due very soon

iOS7 is basically a skln refresh with a bit of background data thrown in in my opinion. The reasons I love my Android are -

Bigger screen.

Tasker - I can automate almost anything in my phone, it searches the cell towers near my home/work. Once it finds one it'll turn my WiFi on. If my Wifi connects to my home/work network it'll go on silent at work, only use 2g radio etc. It does other things like turn rotation on my screen when I am in certain apps (gallery, Youtube, camera) and turns it back off when I am out. Sends auto texts to people when I am driving and a lot of other stuff I can't remember at the top of my head.

NFC - I have a sticker in my car, I touch my phone against it and it'll connect to my cars bluetooth, turnon Car Mode, navigation on etc. I also have 3 stickers around my bedroom which I have to touch my phone against to turn off my alarm in the morning. I can't just hit that snooze button like before.

Every night I have set it to automatically backup and rsync to my server at home.

If I don't like the SMS app / keyboard or anything else in the phone I can just change it.

Don't get me wrong, with an iPhone if you do things the "Apple way" it'll work flawlessly. But if you ever want to do anything more or not like something then it is tough s**t. I like having control over my devices and doing what I want with them.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Probably going to try to get an HTC one Nexus edition, not seen any word on them coming into the UK officially yet though

HTC one is immense. The build quality just oozes quality. The black version is getting my vote, but before I get it I am waiting for the new iphone and will decide from there.

My 4S is dying and slowing down and its well overdue for a change.

I'm not a fan of the 5 and although its not, it does feel a bit cheap.

Android and iOS both work for my uses so will go on what phone I like the feel and look of best.

Either way I'm going simfree and sticking with giffgaff.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Real men have a 3310.

In all serialness - wait for new iPhone announcement. Ponder for a while - realise the HTC One is far superior. Then buy an iPhone 5S/C/G/K because the user interface is "clean", "simple" and the app store is "easy".

Apple have done a very good job of removing the normal amount of logic people apply to buying phones by making them desirable.

Clio 172 cup
Im on a rolling contract and waiting for the galaxy note 3 and galaxy gear watch out next month

Both will be epic.

HTC One max is due to land in September at some point, if phablets are your kind of thing! I guess that's what i'll be upgrading to.

Had a look at a Galaxy Mega yesterday....... LOL!!!!!

I've always seen them as over the top, but all phones are heading in that direction. they never appealed to me before because I had a Asus tablet. That's gone, so I think something like the note/ one max might be next! I just prefer htcs build quality to Samsung.

2014 Focus Titanium
HTC only have around 5% market share so I don't know what the "lol" is all about.
As I understand it, Samsung have 32%, Apple have 14%, HTC less than 4%, as per the data below from Gartner Research:

Company
2Q13Units
2Q13 Market Share (%)
2Q12Units
2Q12 Market Share (%)
Samsung
71,380.9​
31.7​
45,603.8​
29.7​
Apple
31,899.7​
14.2​
28,935.0​
18.8​
LG Electronics
11,473.0​
5.1​
5,827.8​
3.8​
Lenovo
10,671.4​
4.7​
4,370.9​
2.8​
ZTE
9,687.6​
4.3​
6,331.4​
4.1​
Others
90,213.6​
40.0​
62,704.0​
40.8​
Total

Either way, Apple are dwindling and I think that's the reason they're looking at bringing out a less premium "cheap" smartphone this year, smart move imo.